Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread


Richard Kimble
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Dargo said:

The real Groucho visits the set of The Way We Were in 1972 and during the filming of the Marx Brothers-themed costume party scene...

47a2db7e362565556663192ffc35ee9a.jpg

  Hey, Dargo: Who's the cute Jewish gal?!

 I'd bet my life you use to enjoy Groucho Marx's sense of humor on late-night television in Los Angeles:           

                              MV5BMTIyODQyODQwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODE3NjI2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NoShear said:

  Hey, Dargo: Who's the cute Jewish gal?!

 I'd bet my life you use to enjoy Groucho Marx's sense of humor on late-night television in Los Angeles:           

                              MV5BMTIyODQyODQwMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODE3NjI2._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg  

Yep, I sure did NS, and during Groucho's resurgence in popularity in the 1970s, and when one of the independent channels in L.A. (KTTV-Ch.11 ?) started re-running You Bet Your Life late at night. 

(...although I did have vague memories of watching it as a kid with my parents when it was first-run back in the '50s)

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Gloria Swanson, 1976

My first thought (and I'm not proud of it) is, "My God, she was still alive in 1976?" I know they had her in kabuki makeup and stuff in Sunset Blvd., but still ....

My second thought is "Did she outlive William Holden?" (who died in about the '80-'82 range, I think). If so, that would be life imitating art.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

My first thought (and I'm not proud of it) is, "My God, she was still alive in 1976?" I know they had her in kabuki makeup and stuff in Sunset Blvd., but still ....

My second thought is "Did she outlive William Holden?" (who died in about the '80-'82 range, I think). If so, that would be life imitating art.

She was only 50 or 51 at the time she filmed Sunset Blvd.  Past the ingénue stage, definitely, but not on death's doorstep either.

She did indeed outlive Mr. Holden, by about 18 months.  He passed away in 1981, she in 1983.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

She was only 50 or 51 at the time she filmed Sunset Blvd.  Past the ingénue stage, definitely, but not on death's doorstep either.

She did indeed outlive Mr. Holden, by about 18 months.  He passed away in 1981, she in 1983.

And speakin' o' which.

Gloria Swanson visiting the set of Stalag 17 approximately thirty years prior to each of their passings...

609af7981e3c557492c42c20105eef94.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

My first thought (and I'm not proud of it) is, "My God, she was still alive in 1976?" I know they had her in kabuki makeup and stuff in Sunset Blvd., but still ....

My second thought is "Did she outlive William Holden?" (who died in about the '80-'82 range, I think). If so, that would be life imitating art.

I attended a public interview featuring her in 1979. She was very much alive, but she seemed emotionally unstabled and more than a bit vengeful.

She spoke very little about her film career and was more focused on getting revenge concerning two men in her life.

Still it was an eventful evening, actually being able to personally watch and listening to a real silent movie star.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

Here is a photo I know that Dargo will enjoy.

Hart to Hart' star Stefanie Powers recalls her relationship with William  Holden: 'We were soulmates' | Fox News

Yeah, thanks James!

Ya know, I was just thinkin' how much younger my sweet Stefanie was there than when she posed with another handsome older gentleman a few years back.

(...but who of course modesty forbids me to identify by name) 

LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

default.jpg

The 1938 University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team (who lost to the Univ. of California, Berkeley Golden Bears 13-0 in that year's Rose Bowl game) visits the set of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

 I thought of Alabama alumni Don Hutson, Dargo, but the revolutionary receiver had already been running routes in the NFL for awhile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Dargo said:

default.jpg

The 1938 University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team (who lost to the Univ. of California, Berkeley Golden Bears 13-0 in that year's Rose Bowl game) visits the set of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

 With mention of Berkeley's Golden Bears in the context of film, Dargo, I thought of a truly golden guy - the ill-fated Joe Roth:                                                                                                                                                                                                        4705622.jpg?568

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

default.jpg

The 1938 University of Alabama Crimson Tide football team (who lost to the Univ. of California, Berkeley Golden Bears 13-0 in that year's Rose Bowl game) visits the set of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

I think Rathbone was a Rugby player when he was a young guy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rosebette said:

I think Rathbone was a Rugby player when he was a young guy.

ZsgJXAzU77MF%2BXxYk1QvhZCNVAT6sgITTD1c=&

"Yes, this is true, Rosebette my dear. How do you suppose I broke this aristocratic nose of mine here? Rugby! And why do you suppose I then switched to the sport of Fencing?"

;)

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/10/2021 at 12:51 AM, sewhite2000 said:

My first thought (and I'm not proud of it) is, "My God, she was still alive in 1976?"

Yes, I met her in '76 and she looked just like that photo.

I used that Peter Lorre & Santa photo for my New Years card insert one year.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...