Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

Richard Kimble

29 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Barry Fitzgerald &....? Any back ground info about this pic?

My guess would be: Arthur Shields and: Barry Fitzgerald. 

They are credited on: IMDb.com as having been in eight movies together:

The Quiet Man (1952)
How Green Was My Valley (1941)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
The Long Voyage Home (1940)
The Story of Seabiscuit (1949)
The Plough and the Stars (1936)
Top o' the Morning (1949)
Easy Come, Easy Go (1947)

I collect photos of classic stars riding carousels. Here's a few I found on an internet search....

Clara Bow:

1ab9ac3b552a05291ce594b974ca4614.png

Barbara Stanwyck & Elvis:

ca146ec9a6b5b27193273b9f98ea4a75.jpg

I have a few different shots from this photo session of Elvis & Mary Tyler Moore:

dd2e137dca5dcb653afca24bd0afbf6c.jpg

Sophia:

0d105f7815894a59e02057970f3191e0--sofia-

I also have a few from this costume birthday party including Gloria Swanson, WC Fields and this of Marion Davies...I'd guess it's San Simeon:

img090.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Whaaa? You mean they're not brothers? They sure resemble each other.

Yes, they are brothers--Barry Fitzgerald's real name was William Joseph Shields.  Arthur (despite the white hair in this photo) was eight years younger.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Whaaa? You mean they're not brothers? They sure resemble each other.

Of course they're Brothers. 

They're from a Protestant Northern Ireland family, which surprised me in that Barry was always playing Catholic Irish characters, like the priest in "Going My Way".

Shields is the family name and I suppose Fitzgerald made Barry sound more authentically Irish Catholic, so he could get those roles. LOL

• Thanks 1

If I were Orson Welles, I would be justifiably annoyed at whoever took that photo, too.  At the same time (somewhat hypocritically) I'm also glad it exists.  (I especially love that he's casually smoking a cigar in a supermarket.)

It must suck to be famous sometimes.

On 1/5/2022 at 7:06 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Tyrone Power as a young boy

Tyrone Power - Home | Facebook

This shot on young Ty has remined me of a kid actor who guested on a number of late-'60s/early-'70s television shows and who as I also faintly recall might have even starred in his own short-lived TV series back then, and who I always thought looked a lot, and I mean a lot, like a young Tyrone Power, but who seems to have left show business behind by the time he hit his early twenties.

I can't remember his name, and so does anyone here remember this kid and even better his name?

(...this has kind'a been buggin' me for years now)

3 hours ago, Dargo said:

This shot on young Ty has remined me of a kid actor who guested on a number of late-'60s/early-'70s television shows and who as I also faintly recall might have even starred in his own short-lived TV series back then, and who I always thought looked a lot, and I mean a lot, like a young Tyrone Power, but who seems to have left show business behind by the time he hit his early twenties.

I can't remember his name, and so does anyone here remember this kid and even better his name?

I can't imagine who this could be. Because there's only one Ty-- front or preferably,

"The Mark of Zorro" back.😱

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

I can't imagine who this could be. Because there's only one Ty-- front or preferably,

"The Mark of Zorro" back.😱

Thanks for the response anyway, Princess. I knew finding the answer to my question would be a very long shot here, and of course with very little to go on. However, now that I've thought about it some more here, I think I recall the kid starring on some Saturday morning live action kids adventure TV show back at that time.

(...but I'm tellin' ya, I swear this kid actor DID look a lot like Tyrone Power but only pint-sized, and yes, very similar to the pic of young Ty that Det. Jim posted earlier but only with longer hair)

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxUaPz6FzVFUOTyCAio3p

You couldn't mean cutie Jack Wild, could you?

s-l300.jpg

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

I wonder if that could be Jason Karpf, he was a panelist on the kid's game show Juvenile Jury (1971-1972) with host Jack Barry. I remember he was very serious looking and it reminded me of that old picture of young Powell. He also guested on Bonanza , below is the only picture I could find of him as a child, 

Bonanza" Frenzy (TV Episode 1972) - IMDb

14 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxUaPz6FzVFUOTyCAio3p

You couldn't mean cutie Jack Wild, could you?

s-l300.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion here Tiki, but no, it wasn't the PufnStuf kid.

(...I'm pretty sure the kid I'm attempting to name here was American, not British, and as was young Mr. Wild)

12 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I wonder if that could be Jason Karpf, he was a panelist on the kid's game show Juvenile Jury (1971-1972) with host Jack Barry. I remember he was very serious looking and it reminded me of that old picture of young Powell. He also guested on Bonanza , below is the only picture I could find of him as a child, 

Bonanza" Frenzy (TV Episode 1972) - IMDb

And thanks to you too here Jim, but unfortunately and because as you said this shot of young Mr. Karpf is the only one to be found on the net, and thus making a proper identication no more clearer of the mystery kid actor I'm asking about here.

However, and from what I can see of him, I still don't think he's the one, either. 

(...but once again, thanks for taking the time to offer this up as a possibility)

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:02 AM, Fausterlitz said:

Yes, they are brothers--Barry Fitzgerald's real name was William Joseph Shields.  Arthur (despite the white hair in this photo) was eight years younger

I just wrote reviews of How Green Was My Valley (in which they both appeared) and The Corn is Green (in which Arthur appeared). I had no idea they were brothers or what Barry's real name was. I'm as stunned as the day I learned Warren Beatty and Shirley Maclaine are brother and sister. Thanks for the info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm as stunned as the day I learned Warren Beatty and Shirley Maclaine are brother and sister. Thanks for the info.

Had to laugh because I couldn't believe MacLaine/Beatty's relationship either when my Mom told me that, as a teen. They were so different! As I got older, I absolutely saw the facial & physical resemblance, they look so similar. 

Most like I've mistaken Arthur Shields AS Barry Fitzgerald in movies, just thinking he was younger or older than usual in the role. It's like discovering twins, haha.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

And thanks to you too here Jim, but unfortunately and because as you said this shot of young Mr. Karpf is the only one to be found on the net, and thus making a proper identication no more clearer of the mystery kid actor I'm asking about here.

However, and from what I can see of him, I still don't think he's the one, either. 

(...but once again, thanks for taking the time to offer this up as a possibility)

How about Michael James Wixted? He guest starred on many 1970s shows and was a regular on the Henry Fonda sitcom The Smith Family.

image.jpeg.9d5b173c58c5532c5236c82418b39d55.jpeg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

How about Michael James Wixted? He guest starred on many 1970s shows and was a regular on the Henry Fonda sitcom The Smith Family.

image.jpeg.9d5b173c58c5532c5236c82418b39d55.jpeg

Nope, sorry Jim, tain't this kid either I'm afraid. And I'm also afraid it's lookin' like the mystery kid actor who I remember looking so much like Tyrone Power when he was a kid, isn't ever gonna have a name associated with this old memory of him that I have, either.

(...but once again, thanks for taking the time to post this suggested offering here too)

• Like 1