Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

Richard Kimble

16 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

Transporting props for The Incredible Shrinking Man :

Haha reminds me of a friend who works for a special effects/prop studio. The shop crafted a huge Sequoia tree trunk for some Canadian movie. You can't keep & store every prop so the company was going to dismantle/discard it. My friend adopted it & had to hire a flatbed to transport it to his backyard. It got lots of looks on the highway and even more in his yard!

Many of these very large props & sets are just carved styrofoam with epoxy surface slathered on & faux painted. They eventually break down & disintegrate.

• Like 3

I really like this color photo of Curtis & Lemmon in costume from SOME LIKE IT HOT-

Somelikeithot1.jpg

It really shows the dynamics of walking in high heels without the benefit of a wide pelvis & perfectly straight legs/feet. I also like the Photobucket logo circling Curtis' junk as if to say "NOTE: THIS IS A MAN!"

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 3:04 PM, LawrenceA said:

Eva Tanguay (1878-1947) star of stage and screen, nicknamed "The Queen of Vaudeville"

...and not to be confused with French Surrealist painter Yves Tanguy (1900-1955)

Edited by Fausterlitz
image deleted to free up attachment space

61 back to '61... 

Gil Stalag 17 Stratton is seen with three elite track 'n field athletes - Dallas Long, C.K. Yang and Don "Tarzan" Bragg - at the(n) LOS ANGELES MEMORIAL SPORTS ARENA on this date in 1961: 

from-left-dallas-long-gill-stratton-c-k-yang-and-don-bragg-on-the-picture-id106953179

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NoShear said:

61 back to '61... 

Gil Stalag 17 Stratton is seen with three elite track 'n field athletes - Dallas Long, C.K. Yang and Don "Tarzan" Bragg - at the(n) LOS ANGELES MEMORIAL SPORTS ARENA on this date in 1961: 

from-left-dallas-long-gill-stratton-c-k-yang-and-don-bragg-on-the-picture-id106953179

I grew up on Gil Stratton since he was my local (Channel 5),  sports reporter for the Los Angeles \ So Cal.  market.

It wasn't until many years later when I got into studio-era films that I viewed Stalag 17 and said to myself "hey,  I didn't know he was an actor!".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JamesJazGuitar said:

I grew up on Gil Stratton since he was my local (Channel 5),  sports reporter for the Los Angeles \ So Cal.  market.

It wasn't until many years later when I got into studio-era films that I viewed Stalag 17 and said to myself "hey,  I didn't know he was an actor!".

And then after catching The Wild One (also made in 1953...the same year as Stalag 17) you probably also recognized Gil here as one of Brando's motorcycle gang members, and who you see dancing with actress Peggy Maley here while she delivers and sets up one of the more notable movie lines ever said...

R.56610afbdd0bb353d990c8e2ffe7ab31?rik=S

Btw James, as I recall, Gil was the lead sportscaster on Channel-2 (call letters KNXT at the time, but now KCBS since 1984...also, note the CBS "Eye" on Gil's microphone in the pic that NS posted) not at KTLA Channel-5, although I suppose he might have switched to Ch-5 towards the latter part of his broadcasting days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

And then after catching The Wild One (also made in 1953...the same year as Stalag 17) you probably also recognized Gil here as one of Brando's motorcycle gang members, and who you see dancing with actress Peggy Maley here while she delivers and sets up one of the more notable movie lines ever said...

R.56610afbdd0bb353d990c8e2ffe7ab31?rik=S

Btw James, as I recall, Gil was the lead sportscaster on Channel-2 (call letters KNXT at the time, but now KCBS since 1984...also, note the CBS "Eye" on Gil's microphone in the pic that NS posted) not at KTLA Channel-5, although I suppose he might have switched to Ch-5 towards the latter part of his broadcasting days.

Yes,   I do recall Gil's role in that Brando film.  The guy could swing.    Thanks for that correction on the station.  Yea,  Gil worked for local CBS affiliate and not one of the local stations like KTLA.       We both grew up with him,   as well as Ascot Race Track and the Vermont Theater.      

• Like 2

On 1/9/2022 at 11:24 AM, Fausterlitz said:

Re: Tim Burton's homemade childhood Halloween costume:

main-qimg-1368234ce6282f01be788c1a1d791d0a-lq.jpg.e63f6b76ad35ad34436c5d72895f9377.jpg

It was interesting for me to learn that I'd swam in Tim Burton's proverbial wake in a water polo league at Burbank High School in the late Seventies period:

t_burton_2.jpg

Speaking of Tim Burton's swimming for Burbank High, Debbie Reynolds, a former Miss Burbank, is seen at an aquatic-related return to her alma mater:

th?id=OIP.y3CCamDskgVYeEc-9XxC5QAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=151&h=153

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 2:04 PM, LawrenceA said:

Eva Tanguay (1878-1947) star of stage and screen, nicknamed "The Queen of Vaudeville"

FI2J0CyXsAI5wEE?format=jpg&name=small

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eva_Tanguay

Her other nickname was:

"The I Don't Care Girl".

Judy did her "wild" version of the song in "In the Good Old Summertime". 

Understandably, Judy had a lot more clothes on than Eva had in the original performances of that number.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Her other nickname was:

"The I Don't Care Girl".

Judy did her "wild" version of the song in "In the Good Old Summertime". 

Understandably, Judy had a lot more clothes on than Eva had in the original performances of that number.

Sorry folks, but when it comes to ladies singing "I Don't Care", the very first person who for many years has come to MY mind is the lovely MTM here...  ;)

(...I always laugh out loud when she turns to the piano player and says, "Will you STOP?!")

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just finished reading the Hayley Mills autobiography, Forever Young:

Hayley Mills and Michael Douglas dancing at a party at his home. 

(It sort of looks like he's showing her something stuck to the bottom of his shoe.)

See the source image

On a date with George Harrison at a special showing of Charade:

Truth About the Beatles' Girls — a60sthingy: George Harrison and actress  Hayley...

• Like 1