Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread


Richard Kimble
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 1/27/2022 at 9:32 AM, Det Jim McLeod said:

Cinematographer Floyd Crosby with his son David

Forestdweller: David & Floyd Crosby

 I wonder what the father thought of his son's music set to the pastoral opening of woodstock (1970):  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, mkahn22 said:

⇧ Doesn't it look like they added in the cigarette in his mouth to a picture of Reagan where he wasn't smoking? 

The number of celebrities that did cigarette ads back in the day is stunning (at least to us today). 

Back in the 60s and early 70s, before they were banned, cigarette/tobacco ads on TV accounted for at least 10% of all commercial time sold.   The ban had a big effect on the networks' balance sheets.  Magazines benefited from it, though, as the tobacco companies moved their ad dollars (back?) to that medium, and also started sponsoring sporting events.  If you remember, an early sponsor of pro women's tennis was Virginia Slims.  The Slims Tour eventually became today's WTA.  Tennis and cigarettes go together, right?  Unthinkable today, but the company was still a significant WTA sponsor as late as the early 1990s.

Now it's big pharma that carries the bulk of advertising on TV, it seems...

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Back in the 60s and early 70s, before they were banned, cigarette/tobacco ads on TV accounted for at least 10% of all commercial time sold.   The ban had a big effect on the networks' balance sheets.  Magazines benefited from it, though, as the tobacco companies moved their ad dollars (back?) to that medium, and also started sponsoring sporting events.  If you remember, an early sponsor of pro women's tennis was Virginia Slims.  The Slims Tour eventually became today's WTA.  Tennis and cigarettes go together, right?  Unthinkable today, but the company was still a significant WTA sponsor as late as the early 1990s.

Now it's big pharma that carries the bulk of advertising on TV, it seems...

Yep, and those of us "of a certain age" probably remember watching the following just before the latest episode of Prime Time TV's first ever animated series would get underway...

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of cigarettes . . . there's a PALL MALL commercial on YouTube with Lee Marvin made during his time on "M Squad".  Lee has boxing gloves on and is punching a tear-drop bag and then he stops, removes the gloves and has a smoke.  Nothing like working out and smoking!  IT GENTLES THE SMOKE (I noted "gentles" is improperly used as a verb on the commercial) . . .

. . . AND THEY ARE MILD! 

I used to like those Non-Filter KOOLs when I was in my 20s.  They ceased being produced in December 2002.  I was 29 at the time.  Probably a good thing they were discontinued or I'd be pushing up daisies now from emphysema or lung cancer.  Best-tasting cigarette I ever had -- bar none.  You don't need to eat food when you have Non-Filter KOOLs on your 'plate'!  You have little appetite and even if you are hungry you can't taste anything because the menthol is so strong and carries over for a while after you're done smoking it.  But Lordy were they good.   When the Non-Filter KOOLs were disco'd it made it easier for me to quit years later.  I went to Lucky Strikes for several years after but cut down from a pack a day of KOOLs to 10 Luckies . . . then 5 . . . and I quit altogether at age 41.  I'll be 49 in 11 days and have not had a puff since.   But it's good thing those KOOLs aren't still made as they would *tempt* me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep, and those of us "of a certain age" probably remember watching the following just before the latest episode of Prime Time TV's first ever animated series would get underway...

 

 

 Dargo, I was expecting Betty and Wilma to turn the coffee tables and light up a pair of filters from the gold packs.  How about this appropriate product placement...

 Killing Germans - and anyone else who wishes the habit:  

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been aware of character actor Percy Helton for a long time, thanks to his many roles in film and television, but I had no idea that he was a child performer on Broadway, as well as a young leading man, before serving in WWI. He soon after damaged his voice, leaving him with the unique weaselly rasp he was known for later on.

5446_abb08da2-dc85-4853-82f7-0f1a34db191

330px-Stage_juvenile_Percy_Helton_(SAYRE

FKc-A9PXMAYDi_x?format=jpg&name=medium

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

132539442_Season3Disc1.thumb.jpg.1fc3d56ba0c8bccba43611d146a000d1.jpg

And here you'd think he'd had already memorized how to play that theme song without having to search for the sheet music for it, wouldn't ya?!

;)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/31/2022 at 2:18 PM, LawrenceA said:

I've been aware of character actor Percy Helton for a long time, thanks to his many roles in film and television, but I had no idea that he was a child performer on Broadway, as well as a young leading man

WOW thanks for posting that! It's always fun to see a youth picture of someone you are only familiar with as an older person. (like C. Aubrey Smith or Bert Mustin)

Although they are from different time periods, both my Mother & I always mix up Helton with the delightful Wallace Shawn!

602683-300

They have similar round faces, big smiles & unique voices!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

Here's an interesting picture....

coca-colaMonroe.jpg

I was taught ladies should never drink from a bottle, only a glass or cup-you never know who's watching!

Looks like  that's from "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes." What's interesting is that Monroe and Russell are always "on" in that movie in an overcharged way. It's how, I assume, director Howard Hawks wanted them to be. There is almost a cartoonish feel to the movie with its Technicolor, silly plot and, as noted, frenetic manner of acting. So it's revealing to see the two female leads calm and "off," but in the costumes from the movie. It's a neat juxtaposition. Just shows how much of what you see on screen truly is acting. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I was taught ladies should never drink from a bottle, only a glass or cup-you never know who's watching!

Really, Tiki???

Then isn't it a good thing that we of the "Pepsi Generation" helped move society beyond those old stereotypical gender role mindsets?! ;)

33b6db7b99cc281bf1bbbef30d423bee.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Really, Tiki???

Yes! And considering I look more like Harpo Marx than Marilyn Monroe, I'd say that's a good thing!

I was actually brought up very strictly: Could not get my ears pierced until  I was 18, no high heels or wear black until 21. When I see my beautiful 35 year old niece with tattooed sleeves, drinking beer from a bottle...still makes me cringe.

But I have learned to accept modern trends are not associated with morality or class as it was in my Mother's day, as I was brought up.  I was always culturally outdated from a sheltered upbringing, although always been a great predictor of trends a decade before everyone else and was the first person in the United States to have hot pink hair in 1977.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Yes! And considering I look more like Harpo Marx than Marilyn Monroe, I'd say that's a good thing!

I was actually brought up very strictly: Could not get my ears pierced until  I was 18, no high heels or wear black until 21. When I see my beautiful 35 year old niece with tattooed sleeves, drinking beer from a bottle...still makes me cringe.

But I have learned to accept modern trends are not associated with morality or class as it was in my Mother's day, as I was brought up.  I was always culturally outdated from a sheltered upbringing, although always been a great predictor of trends a decade before everyone else and was the first person in the United States to have hot pink hair in 1977.

Pink hair was a minor fad in the 50s, but probably a more muted shade than yours, I bet...

My grandma's pink hair in the 50s : r/OldSchoolCool

Has also been in the movies/TV too (but obviously these are wigs)

 

Tag Archive for "pastel hair color" | Bobby Pin Blog / Vintage hair and  makeup tips and tutorialsBatman" A Piece of the Action (TV Episode 1967) - IMDb

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2022 at 6:54 AM, TikiSoo said:

Here's an interesting picture....

coca-colaMonroe.jpg

I was taught ladies should never drink from a bottle, only a glass or cup-you never know who's watching!

I must wonder how many people will see that image and automatically and subconsciously think that: Jane Russell is looking at her cell phone.

The admonition against ladies drinking from bottles should be heightened in today's world when it is so easy to photoshop such an image to make it pornographic.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...