Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

Richard Kimble

On 5/20/2022 at 9:47 PM, txfilmfan said:

Yes.  Every person running for Congress and President should be required to watch Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, followed by Born Yesterday.

I'm not so sure about that:   how do we know they would be able to recognize the good guys from the bad ones?

The question is, which one has better eyelashes?

But seriously...Elvis is looking surprisingly androgynous in this photo (or, if you prefer, almost pretty), an effect somewhat magnified by his full lips, perfectly manicured nails and the tiny watch he's wearing.  The overall effect was less pronounced once his hair went full black.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fausterlitz said:

The question is, which one has better eyelashes?

But seriously...Elvis is looking surprisingly androgynous in this photo (or, if you prefer, almost pretty), an effect somewhat magnified by his full lips, perfectly manicured nails and the tiny watch he's wearing.  The overall effect was less pronounced once his hair went full black.

I see him in a pillbox hat and dangly earrings. Not hoops. He does not have the ears for hoops. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, SansFin said:

I see him in a pillbox hat and dangly earrings. Not hoops. He does not have the ears for hoops. 

Gotta admit you might be right about this, Sans. And so considering Lisa Marie looks so much like her father, here's a couple of shots of her sportin' these two types of adornments...

d02b75ba1b1ad3b3db37322ecc3d14a1.jpg

50b4c8bc17501f077fed812f4d03d846.jpg

• Like 1

Buster Keaton (?) smiling:

download-72.jpg.cdefeec638250d5f1ed6f8a86085eb4b.jpg

Actually, the smiling itself is not all that unusual (there are plenty of photos of him doing so in real life).  I'm more interested in the context of this particular photo.  I know Keaton was a huge baseball fan, but it's hard to tell whether those are actually baseball uniforms.  In any case this seems to be an all-black team (which is interesting in itself), and based on his apparent age the photo would probably date from the 1940s.

That is, unless it's just a photo of some random dude who happens to bear an uncanny physical resemblance to Keaton.  It was labeled as being him, but you never know on the internet.

Anyone recognize anything conclusive here?  (For a moment there I thought maybe the uniform of the guy on the right might read "[Vid]a Blu[e]", which would be the wrong time frame...except that isn' t him.)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Fausterlitz said:

Buster Keaton (?) smiling:

download-72.jpg.cdefeec638250d5f1ed6f8a86085eb4b.jpg

Actually, the smiling itself is not all that unusual (there are plenty of photos of him doing so in real life).  I'm more interested in the context of this particular photo.  I know Keaton was a huge baseball fan, but it's hard to tell whether those are actually baseball uniforms.  In any case this seems to be an all-black team (which is interesting in itself), and based on his apparent age the photo would probably date from the 1940s.

That is, unless it's just a photo of some random dude who happens to bear an uncanny physical resemblance to Keaton.  It was labeled as being him, but you never know on the internet.

Anyone recognize anything conclusive here?  (For a moment there I thought maybe the uniform of the guy on the right might read "[Vid]a Blu[e]", which would be the wrong time frame...except that isn' t him.)

Google Lens search found a hit on Pinterest that said this was taken on the set of a short called Hollywood Handicap (1938), directed by Keaton.  

If you watch the short, at about 1:30 into the video, you'll see these Black actors/musicians with coveralls that say "Canfield Stables."  Several candid/cameos of Hollywood personalities as well.

EDIT:  I just looked up the credits on IMDb.  The singers are billed as "The Original Sing Band."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

Google Lens search found a hit on Pinterest that said this was taken on the set of a short called Hollywood Handicap (1938), directed by Keaton. 

Thanks so much for all this info!  I had no idea such a film even existed.  🙂

Pair for Peebs:

http://photos.cinematreasures.org/production/photos/268027/1553621270/large.jpg?1553621270

th?id=OIP.uo1BTVURMoYiG5dmM9sXVwHaE_&pid=Api&P=0&w=249&h=168

http://photos.cinematreasures.org/production/photos/276054/1560298925/large.jpg?1560298925  

th?id=OIP.SfhjzRFY5jKwOwVLUFFz5wHaFG&pid=Api&P=0&w=245&h=168        

• Like 2

Ana de Armas as a reimagined (or imagined) Marilyn Monroe in the upcoming Netflix feature Blonde, based on the novel by Joyce Carol Oates. Coming in September.

preview-2.jpg