Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Co-Host

lily54

Why oh Why is Drew Barrymore still co-hosting with Robert Osborne? Am I the only one who thinks she is a first class 'bore' with a 3rd grade vocabulary? Her "Barrymore bloodline" did not endow her with any special classic movie intellect or substance. She has no depth or passion. A class act like Robert Obsorne deserves a class act for a co-host, not a re-tread from a Hollywood Dynasty. It's insulting. She's like a Politician who uses family coat-tails to get into office.

Cher has the depth, the talent, the 'hootspa' to really talk 'classic film'. She's an American Icon who deserves to share the stage with Mr. Osborne. Dennis Miller was also outstanding. Why can't we have a man with his wit and complexity?

Come on TCM raise the bar and get Mr. Osborne a worthy co-host !

What is "hootspa" ? If you meant Chutzpah, that's the correct spelling of the word. Since RO has countless times mentioned that HE invited her to be his co-host and HE invited her back I guess he disagrees. This topic has been covered numerous times. The Essentials 2012 thread is where you might want to post your complaint.

Your response doesn't answer the question. It's a done deal with Drew. SHE'S THE CO-HOST. Why continue the complaint, when EVERYONE knows how you feel about it. How many more times are you going to WHINE about this? You are behaving the same as the other constant complainers about 30's movies, silents and so on. Why do you want to be in their company? What are you trying to accomplish?

Frankly, i dont find Cher much better than Drew, but at least she's leaving. I dont mind Drew that much anymore. I rarely watch The Essentials anyway and I can always tune in after the intro...

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}Why do you continue with this? Give it up. Drew is co-host for this installment of The Essentials, and that's that. You have made your cracks, your dislike and disdain known over and over and over and over again. Why? What a BORE

I'm not bored.

Drew is a bottomless well of comedy; and the proposition that she merits a gig cohosting *any* sort of retospective on film and offering her viewpoints on what constitutes acting or filmaking is nothing but yucks for fathoms and fathoms....oh wait, *the irony. I forgot the sheer, stupifying irony of it all.*

and... combine that with the fact that her choices have been (from day one): YAWNSVILLE CITY, USA POP: NO ONE and it just puts the whole dubious (and frankly shortsighted) venture in the same territory as being taken by your friend's nitwit girlfriend- who won't ever shut up and who portends to be an aficianado of five-star cuisine- to an Olive Garden wherein she keeps going on and on about the ambience of the decor and the way "the texture of the breadsticks evolves in your mouth."

ps- chutzpah is now officially to be spelled "hootspah." I make the new decree.

pss- she picked Gaslight foer crying out loud.

psss- Drew Barrymore directed a movie about roller derby racers. I'm just throwing that in because whenever she starts waxing about the mise-en-scene of something I always yell some variation of that fact at the tv.

pssss- you think Drew secretly lives in fear of the fact that some day she'll wake up and boom!: there's Ethel staring back at her in the mirror?

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 29, 2013 10:55 AM

Kyle, couldn't agree more. The complainers, whiners ARE the most vocal around here. I guess they have nothing better to do. Maybe it's jealousy. Drew has a gorgeous, brilliant, very successful husband, a new baby and a contract with Cover Girl that paid her milions of dollars. She owns her own cosmetics company, production companies. Gee whiz, what a failure. She's been in the movie business since she was 3 years old. I've read and heard interviews with Steven Spielberg who has much respect for Drew.

Oh and ps- addison- I think the whinning and complaining about something that we have no control over and the same complaints that are posted over and over again is a BORE.Take Hibi's advice- DON'T Watch!

Nobody said Drew was a failure. Nobody claimed she didn't deserve respect.

What they ARE claiming is that having a successful husband, new baby and respect from Steve Spielberg DOESN'T make her good co-hosting material.

Just like selling a lot of records doesn't make BERNARD HERRMANN the greatest movie score composer.

And isn't it obvious that if we ALL had better things to do, we wouldn't BELONG to these message boards? ;)

Sepiatone

Nobody said she doesn't deserve respect!!!!! Where have you been? Months on end of insults, the Drew complainers have had nothing positive to say about her. She was pregnant when she filmed the spots. The new spots show her having left over weight from her pregnancy. So what? she's a beautiful girl.Cover Girl had her doing their ads for their cosmetics. I guess a multi billion dollar company doesn't see Ethel when they look at her. Too bad you do. Complain all you want, that's what makes you happy. RO doesn't have a problem with her, neither do I.

WHOA! Take the pervebial CHILL PILL, Lavender!

All *I* said was that her off screen success doesn't add up to being good co-host material. And what's WRONG with her seeing Ethel in the mirror?

It's better than copping a resemblance to UNCLE LIONEL, isn't it? Ethel's face had a lot of CHARACTER. YOU probably thought I meant she looks OLD, didn't you?

NOW who's the MISOGYNIST?

For more information, I happen to LIKE Drew. That DOESN'T mean I think EVERYTHING she does has merit. I like BEETHOVEN'S music, but not ALL of it. I liked BOB DYLAN'S music, but not ALL of it. I like JOHN STEINBECK'S writing, but not ALL of it! And it does NOT mean that Ludwig and Bob would be good co-hosts on some XM radio musicology talk show, or that John would be a good co-host on any show that discusses books.

Of course, we'll never know about THOSE, but I at least hope you get my point.

Sepiatone

Yes I thought you were commenting on Drew looking old. and yes I happen to agree that Ethel had wonderful character in her face.I'm so glad you posted that, and glad you feel that way about Drew. I'm just so tired of the Drew bashing, I think it's undeserved. The posts about her are venomous, they've even commented on her clothes! being too stupid to realize she was pregnant during those spots.

She is not an "expert" maybe the way Sydney Pollack was or some of the others that have been co-hosts. But so what? I think she does know about film and she's enthusiastic and a classic film lover. She's made films, in front and behind the camera. Bet you none of the Complainers here have been actors or directors in films.

Again, glad you posted that clarification. No hard feelings. ;)

I think Drew being a Barrymore does have something to do with TCM's choice of her to co-host with RO, but the actual reason is marketing. (of course being a Barrymore is part of marketing).

The same with the choice of Cher. TCM could find many people with a lot more studio era film knowledge but only diehard studio era movie fans would know these people. Diehard studio era fans already know about TCM. To bring in new viewers TCM needs people the general public is aware of.

Note I like Drew and find her very cute but I do wish TCM would of picked someone else to co-host with RO. But she is their choice for this season. Thus I don't see a need to create many multiple threads about the same topic.

Well I could see Dakota Fanning. To reach out to a younger audience (which they need to do to even retain their current fan base), they have to use people a younger audience can relate to.

Note: While Cher isn't young she is known by younger people and she has a fairly strong following in the younger gay community.

TCM sees celebrities as ratings (I dunno if this is true or not in reality). So I've come to accept that this will be a continuing trend on the station. (More than likely I will be tuning in late if I'm interested in the film as I'm not all that interested in what they have to say........)

Exactly. Are we supposed to be programmed to like anyone TCM puts on screen for us to listen to? The reason I've expressed my displeasure multiple times is that every week i see her, my displeasure is re-ignited. Also, many of my posts are expressing agreement with a brand new person who posts anti-Drew sentiments. We all realize why she was selected---her name and the fact that the 20-39 crowd is familiar with her. Knowing why she was selected is not synonymous with liking her for the gig.

Edited by: finance on Apr 29, 2013 5:31 PM