Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Name a great golden age technicolor western starring Joel McCrea...

JOEL McCREA !

JOEL McCREA !

Such a great guy

in every way !

Ironically, even though I am an unabashed JOEL McCREA fan, I've seen more of his work from other genres than his Westerns.. Didn't he, Randolph Scott-like, renounce all interest in acting in any film that wasn't a Western, after about 1950 or so?

I know that this is not a "golden age" movie, neither from Joel M.'s point of view nor from the Western's, but one of his last films, *Ride the High Country*, is a great movie. Co-starring Randolph Scott, now that I come to think of it.

Didn't he, Randolph Scott-like, renounce all interest in acting in any film that wasn't a Western, after about 1950 or so?

Yes, I think he claimed that he thought that genre was all he had ever been good in.

He was wrong, of course.

I liked WICHITA, in answer to the OP's question.

> {quote:title=GoodGuysWearBlack wrote:}{quote}The Virginian (1946) totally awesome!

>

THE VIRGINIAN has run at least a couple of times this month on the Encore Westerns channel. Beautiful technicolor copy. :)

One of McCrea's oaters that gets very litttle play time is "South of St. Louis" from 1949 with Zachery Scott and Alexis Smith. I have heard some compare this to Cagney's "Roaring Twenties", but it is a beautiful color Westerns. Brother McCrea and Scott trying to rebuild their ranch after the Civil by running guns with the third brother wearing a badge.

Another one with glorious Techincolor is "The Outriders" with Barry Sullivan and Arlene Dahl.. McCrea like Randolph {chorus please} Scott were the ideal cowboys on the big screen....