Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great "live" reports from the TCM film festival !!

FredCDobbs

I love these "live" interviews of people at the current TCM film festival.

Both Robert and Ben are doing great jobs interviewing both film industry people and average citizens.

These look like news reports. Very nice job.

I'm glad TCM has chosen to change their focus from 'here are some of the people who made classic cinema first-hand' to 'here are the fans who were influenced by classic cinema.' Like it or not, the passage of time means fewer and fewer stars from the Golden Age of Hollywood are around each year, so it's an intelligent move to begin celebrating the channel's younger viewers and making them feel like a more important part of the TCM family.

>I'm glad TCM has chosen to change their focus from 'here are some of the people who made classic cinema first-hand' to 'here are the fans who were influenced by classic cinema.'

I like that idea too. It's a good idea. I like to see the movie fans.

I didn't mean the people from the message board, but just some of the folks that

are in the photo gallery. A little on the obsessive side, sort of like vintage lint

collectors or scrimshaw hobbyists. To each their own I guess.

I always have a few names in reserve. I was a Boy Scout--Be Prepared.

The L.A. Times had an article on the upcoming TCM film festival (Sunday 21st edition) and it mentioned that many attendees dress in vintage clothing. Like any group event some use these venues to get their freak on.

BTW the article ask the question: What is a classic movie. A TCM employee answered that it was NOT based on a film being a certain number of years old but instead the content.

> {quote:title=Mr.Froy wrote:}{quote}Sort of a bizarre amalgam of a costume ball, a groupie freak show, and a

> portable mausoleum.

Why would you say something like this? Couldn't afford to go so you just decide to make fun of those in attendance. None of the people I saw interviewed seemed to be in those catagories. I've been on the cruises and while there were a couple of people in period clothes, most were just regular people brought together with a common interest.

It must be fun being so smug.

<"COULDN'T" afford to go .....>

What an AWFUL , AWFUL thing to say to someone...talk about being "Smug", one has to wonder WHO is really Smug!

You 'asume' Mr.Froy could not "Afford" to go...for all you know, he could buy you out!!

......smacks a bit of 'Cinderella and the Ugly sisters going to the Ball.'...

Twink

Helen, the L.A. Times writers sort of confirm what Mr. Froy posted. To me this is similar to the Coachella music festival held in Southern California in April. A group of us went to Palm Springs for the weekend and a few of the 'kids' joined us (gals that were 25) since the festival is only 25 miles from there. Coachella is the current Woodstock. The gals dressed like hippies. I asked why, and was told it was common to do this as a way to give the event a 60s vibe. The gals fit the part but yea, they did give off a 'groupie freak show' type vibe and I told them that. They took it as a complement!

I fail to see how the comments about those at the TCM event could be viewed as offensive.

Hey, I didn't go either but I'm not sitting at home calling those in attendance groupie freaks. I just see why anyone would say that about a group of people they don't even know.

I guess I shouldn't assume that those who do, don't do it because they can't afford to go. I guess they're just mean people, but not smug.

>Sort of a bizarre amalgam of a costume ball, a groupie freak show, and a portable mausoleum

Yeah ! Ain't it great !

Back in the 1950s we used to go see R&R movies, dressed up in our best and latest R&R clothes and hair styles. Pretty much anywhere in the USA. It was a big fad for teenage boys around the country to buy black motorcycle jackets, after THE WILD ONE came out, even if they didn't own a motorcycle.

Then in the late 60s and during the 70, many of my friends and I used to dress up like some of the characters in the old retro movies we went to see. That was fairly common in San Francisco. One old theater would bring back the movie "SAN FRANCISCO" every anniversary of the 1906 Earthquake. We would go to see it every year. :)

*"I fail to see how the comments about those at the TCM event could be viewed as offensive."* - JJG

Oh, believe me. When they write "a bizarre amalgam of a costume ball, a groupie freak show, and a portable mausoleum." their intent is to be condescending and derogatory.

Well I'll let the person that made the comment tell me (if they wish), what their intent was.

But I still don't view the comments as offensive. If I was to go I would dress up like a 30's gangster.

That would be me getting my freak on.

I also understand the groupie reference. We here at this forum are a group and when I mention people here by name to my wife she call me a classic movie groupie. I'm proud of the label.

Maybe a bit derogatory and somewhat exaggerated, but all in good fun.

There is definitely something of a groupie vibe going on, but at the same

time it's all rather vanilla. Hmmmm.

I have time and family obligations that don't allow me to go to things like

this right now. Maybe some day I will. It's as interesting as an amateur

sociological study as it is as a film festival. But on the practical side, there

seems to be a lot of waiting around in lines and then being packed elbow to

elbow in the theater. Plus you can only see a certain number of films while

you'll have to miss others. From that standpoint, it doesn't seem worthwhile

to bother.

Having just attended the festival's four days, I find Froy's "humor" to be quite distasteful. First off, I know there were thousands of fans there this year, and I would say that there were less than a dozen people in period costume. And, certainly, none of the non-period dressed majority thought anything bad about them. They were having fun.

And, an aside to Froy, if you have been there among these attendees waiting on Hollywood Blvd to get into a movie, their attire was NOTHING compared to street posers on the Blvd right there. There were Batmen, Batgirl, Supergirl, Pirates, a female cop, two Spider-men, Iron Man, Darth Vader, Michael Jackson, Catwomen, Snow White, Tinker Bell, Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse, a Transformer, and more. And you think anyone is paying attention to a tiny few film fans who might be dressed in petiod costume?

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}"There {font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}seems to be a lot of waiting around in lines and then being packed elbow to{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}elbow in the theater. Plus you can only see a certain number of films while{font}

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}you'll have to miss others."

Uh, yeah, that's a pretty basic description of what goes on at a film festival. It's a lot of fun. If you like that sort of thing.{font}

Note that the initial comment was based on reviewing some of the pictures. It appears these pictures might of over represented the people that actually wore a costume to the event. I find this to be very common at events like these; i.e. the people that end up in pictures are often the ones that stand out from the crowd and one way to stand out is to dress different than others.

As for paying attention to fans in costume; Well I hope people were paying attention to them (but only in a positive way). I know I would pay attention. I would go up to them and say 'hey, cool costume,,, do you like Greer Garson movies?, since you look like stepped out of a Jane Austin book!'.

I assume people that chose to wear a costume WANT attention.