Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Top Tip 10: Live Events

HFabian

Emphasize live events.

I?m glad to see TCM is doing more live events in 2013 with the expansion of the Road to Hollywood as the lead-in to the Classic Film Festival. I think TCM can do more to make these events seem like ?must-see? experiences to the viewers at home. For instance, I?d love to see a :30 or :60 spot that?s a short recap of each event (showing the outside of the venue, the crowd, RO or BM onstage, a snippet of the guest?s interview, and some man-on-the-street quotes from event attendees about how much fun it was). I think producing these would be a snap since you?d only need at most a 3-person crew to get the raw footage. To their credit, TCM has begun doing this for the Film Festival itself; I think it can easily be extended to cover the Road to Hollywood events as well.

Also, I think it would be fun to record some film intros from on-board the Classic Cruise - just shoot the segments a short time before the ship?s departure and air them over that weekend. I?m sure some viewers would think they?re seeing live intros since they will air at the same time the cruise is taking place.

And since TCM likes to talk about festivals like Telluride when they?re taking place, why not shoot ?TCM News? segments on location at other classic film festivals? There are plenty, like the Plaza in El Paso, the annual event in Syracuse, and even Robert?s own festival in Athens, GA. Why not do a short segment there with a 3-person stringer crew and a voiceover talking about the event?