Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Programming: Glenn Ford bday

rsldsl

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}What other actresses have played identical twins in a film, other than Bette Davis in A STOLEN LIFE?

you always ask such easy questions: Olivia DeHavilland in The Dark Mirror, and Bette Midler and Lily Tomlin in Big Business immediately come to mind.

ps- the twin showing of The White Tower is what boggles my mind.

pss- Glenn Ford seems to have as many birthdays as Burt Lancaster.

>EGR in THE WHOLE TOWN'S TALKING played two characters who looked enough alike to be identical twins.......

Edward G. Robinson did an excellent job in that film. He played a mean gangster and a meek office worker. The bad guy kidnapped the good guy to help him commit some robberies.

When the police realize what is going on, the police chief gives the good guy a letter to carry around that says he not the bad guy.

Finally, the bad guy is arrested, but then he pretends he?s the good guy so he could get out of jail. So, Robinson is the bad guy playing the good guy, and he did a fantastic job, doing it in a way so that the audience understands, but the prison officials do not, so they let the bad guy go, thinking he was the good guy.

Robinson should have received an Academy Award nomination for this film.

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}He should've received an Oscar nomination for many of his film roles. Sadly, he had to die before getting one........

Robinson, right? If that's the case, then seconded.

Glenn Ford rates no better than "meh" in my book, even in movies that are really good.

I don't understand why Robinson never received an Academy nomination.

He was great in so many films. He should have received at least 5 or more.

He was so great in LITTLE CAESAR, it has been a classic film shown in theaters in the 1930s and 40 and on TV for the past 82 years. This film was on lots of TV station all throughout the 1950s and 60s and into the 70s, back when they were showing more old movies than they do today.

That film received a nomination for best writing, but it was Robinson who made the film great and famous.

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}I don't understand why Robinson never received an Academy nomination.

>

It's concievable to me that he didn't get a nomination for Little Caesar since- while, yes, he is terrific and certainly deserved it- the film itself is just not good.

To me, he'd win Supporting Actor in 1944 hands-down for Double Indemnity. Even though it's one of the finest supporting peformances EVER, it was a Paramount film and Robinson was not a Paramount player (thus, no ballyhoo to get him a nod) and it's possible he was not chomping at the bit to be considered a supporting player.

Other than that, he deserved nods for The Sea Wolf and Dr Erlich's Magic Bullet at the very least.

But being a leading man talent with supporting player looks is no easy gig and it's possible that led to the lack of nominations anyway.

ps- had he even been nominated for supporting in 1944 he'd likely have lost to Barry Fitzgerald in Going My Way anyhow and thus "lost" the gamble.

How can you say Little Caesar is just not good? In any case, a film not being good, has nothing to do with a film winning an Oscar. The Academy has bestowed many awards on many not so good films and performers over the years (LOL).

finance said...

What male actors have played identical twins?

=============================

Stan Laurel & Oliver Hardy in their 1936 feature OUR RELATIONS.

More identical twins:

Joel McCrea and Claudette Colbert each in THE PALM BEACH STORY (1942).

She was great in everything as far as I'm concerned. Antenna TV has been showing *Human Desire* for the last couple of days. Watch out for it. Broderick Crawford is about as cruel as it gets and Gloria is a dame and sympathic in this one. You'll like this one, but be aware Crawford physically batters Gloria around quite a bit in this film.

I found the film disappointing when I finally saw it a year or so ago. Not in the same league as the original (French) version. Or Lang's previous reteaming with the duo (Ford/Grahame)