• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Good News and Bad News

SansFin

I can imagine the conversation:

Agent: I have good news and bad news.

Actor: What is the good news?

Agent: I signed you to a speaking role in a movie with a wonderful cast, great script and worthy director.

Actor: What is the bad news?

Agent: You die in Scene I.

I believe it has been at all times thought important to be in the first scene of a movie and it elevated an actor above the herd of extras to have a speaking role but I must think it must be vexing to go through wardrobe and make-up and script work for one scene only.

Such roles were not at all times give to non-entities.

Robert Ellis was the victim in *Murder at Midnight* (1931). Per IMDb.com he was in one-hundred-and-eighty movies between 1913 and 1934.

Edmund Burns was the victim in *The Death Kiss* (1932). Per IMDb.com he was in ninety-nine movies. He is often listed as "uncredited" in talkies.

Ralph Forbes was the victim in *The Hound of the Baskervilles* (1939). Per IMDb.com he was in seventy-seven movies. He was most often a supporting character but he was the star of some movies.

I have not found who portrayed the victim in *The Mystery of Mr. X* (1934) as there are six policeman/bobby roles with no differentiation as to which was the one in the first scene.

I have found no listing of any nature for the role of bank guard who was the victim in *Sherlock Holmes' Fatal Hour* (1931).

I am sure there are many others who appeared in the opening scene and had lines to speak.

Errol Flynn played the murder victim in *The Case of the Curious Bride* (1935), although we only see him at the end, getting bumped off as Perry Mason explains whodunit.

Future $6 Million Man Lee Majors gets axed to death by Joan Crawford at the beginning of *Strait-Jacket*.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> Future $6 Million Man Lee Majors gets axed to death by Joan Crawford at the beginning of *Strait-Jacket*.

And Bruce Dern gets his in the early part (there is about a 20-minute pre-credits segment) of HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE.

I recall Tom Selleck being an early casualty in COMA, but I'm not certain after 35 years just how early in the film it happens.

Another example that comes to mind is the western "Town Tamer." Coleen Gray is murdered in the opening scene, where she takes a bullet meant for husband Dana Andrews. Her murder sets the entire plot in motion and she is constantly referred to in the course of the story.

Terrence.