Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Mystery Of Mr. X (1934)

SansFin

*The Mystery Of Mr. X* (1934) with Robert Montgomery, Elizabeth Allen and Lewis Stone is a charming little murder mystery with an overlay of the complications of a caper.

I find movies such as this one very enjoyable as it is possible to be comfortable with them because they require nothing of the audience but attention.

It has the added bonus that the scene in the kitchen is so very precious!

> {quote:title=musicalnovelty wrote:}{quote}

> And another thing about that movie: it's coming up on TCM tomorrow morning (May 2)!

I thank you for that reminder. I had made a note to post of it today but I had forgotten on which specific day it was scheduled.

I'm looking forward to it. Thanks, SansFin.

It looks to be a classically classic day, like the good ole TCM days.

Did you catch Arsenic and Old Lace in the wee small hours? I love that movie. RO said that Massey was made up to look like Karloff because he was in the play at the time and they wouldn't release him.

I bet that's a one and only - a play going on at the same time as the play?

Wow, SansFin, that was charming and engaging and riveting.

Montgomery was perfect. How happy were you that Allen didn't end up with Mr. Oatmeal? :)

They don't make movies like that anymore, or show them on TCM.

Thanks, SansFin, for the reminder.

Did I just hear what I think I heard in the Wall St. Mystery short?

Elevator operator, in answer to bark from John Hamilton for his name: Andy Amos (didn't catch last name)........

Hamilton: is that your real name?

Andy Amos: Well, it was Abraham Washington, but I had myself baptized with a more famous name.

*HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!! :):):)*

As Gahagan says: what a day, what a day.

Hey mark...you rockin' with all the classically classics today? Some not as good as others, Mystery of Mr. X was the topper.

The Locket is on now, it's not bad.

Heckuva coincidence, but there you go.

And isn't it a good thing that the men are wimps.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}

>..."charming" little murder mystery...

> Never heard of a MURDER mystery as being "charming", but..whatever!

> Nothing "Charming"about murder..

I believe that a story on any subject can be told in a charming manner.

I am reminded of an elegant description of bat pee.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> that was charming and engaging and riveting.

It makes me happy that others share my views of this movie and can appreciate its non-blockbuster styling.

> Montgomery was perfect. How happy were you that Allen didn't end up with Mr. Oatmeal? :)

The scene in the kitchen is perfection. He was a little hapless and yet described the scene with eloquence!

I would like to think that she would have shown her fiance the door even if Robert Montgomery had not come into her life.

Wow - what a great film. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like Montgomery anyway, but this film was so watchable. It had mystery, stylish sets, wit, and adventure. I love Montgomery's wistful smiles and he looks so good in top hat and tales. One thing that did surprise me was that it looked as though he did a lot of his own fighting scenes in the end. Some of those shots are from the front and you can clearly see his face. I didn't expect that and was delighted!

Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my favorite films. I have seen it so many times that I can practically recite the whole film. My son who is 41 was really surprised when I showed him a picture of a normal Raymond Massey. He only knew as Jonathan or Boris Karloff look-a-like.

> {quote:title=bagladymimi wrote:}{quote}

> Wow - what a great film. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

It makes me very happy that you enjoyed it.

> I love Montgomery's wistful smiles

I find it charming that he is so manly a man when it comes to his business and is yet a wistful little boy when near her.

> {quote:title=twinkeee wrote:}{quote}..."charming" little murder mystery...

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Never heard of a MURDER mystery as being "charming", but..whatever!

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Nothing "Charming"about murder..

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Twink

I think you need a quick refresher...repeat to yourself, "It's only a movie. It's only a movie." The actors will get up when the scene is over.

And I do think a murder mystery can be a "charming little murder mystery." It all depends on who the detective is and the presentation. For example, Margaret Rutherford as Miss Marple helps make the films she was in "charming little murder mysteries." As long as you don't have some horribly gruesome head by itself hanging over someone, blood dripping down. William Powell and Myrna Loy make the Thin Man movies charming. "Murders in the Rue Morgue" is NOT a charming little murder mystery.

This movie is 95% a love story about a lovable jewel thief, Robert Montgomery.

The crazy cop killer is about 5% of the film, and Robert gets him in the end, for the police, and Robert winds up a hero.

this film was so watchable.

Isn't that just the word, bagladymimi? I don't have a DVR, and couldn't bear to be away from the set for even one single second. I love when those movies show up on TCM.

Isn't Montgomery a joy? In movies like this, you dare not take your eyes off his face, but in this movie you just had to do so, the others in the cast were that good.

SansFin, the scene in the kitchen was SO VERY modern, wasn't it? No current man woman with the same old tired stars movie has anything on it. I like Paul Rudd and Ashley Judd well enough, and you could pluck Bob and Liz out of 1934 (1934!!!) and straight into a romance movie and think you were watching Rudd and Judd.

It's amazing that a movie like this isn't more well known.

bagladymimi, I adore Cary Grant and he is another from whom I can't look away. Some complain he is too 'manic' in this movie, but I find him delicious. His facial and body movements are a joy to behold. Jack Carson is always fun too.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}

> the scene in the kitchen was SO VERY modern, wasn't it?

I am of the mind that it is timeless. It is nearly Elizabethan in the use of poetic imagery and Victorian in keeping to standards of what a man may say to a single woman and I can not help but feel it has Art Deco influence which I can not explain.

> It's amazing that a movie like this isn't more well known.

I believe that might be for the best. It feels in some way as if it is our own private treasure. If it were more popular then some femme-fatale-wannabe would want to remake it as a vehicle for her own self and that would surely be ghastly.

some femme-fatale-wannabe would want to remake it as a vehicle for her own self and that would surely be ghastly.

Hah, good point SansFin! It would probably be Cher and Tom Cruise and then they'd have to give out air-sick bags at the door.

Just a lovely, lovely movie.