Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[b]Alice In Wonderland[/b] (1933) Friday Night

hlywdkjk

Illeanna Douglas and TCM present Paramount's *Alice In Wonderland* Friday Night as the first film in its "Second Looks" Spotlight.

Here's your list of actors with Cameo Appearances (aka Window Card) that are featured in this rarely seen film.

AliceInWonderland1933_WC

Good Luck picking them out from beneath the make-up and the costumes.

I'm not sure I have ever seen this before? Or if I have it has been a long time. In all likeyhood the movie has probably been buried by Disney for decades.Assuming that is true, TCM should finally be able to get the 1924 PETER PAN which had also been barred from playing on Television by Disney.

I saw this film at a WC Fields film festival at a theater in Berkeley in the early 1970s. They showed nearly all of his old films, both features and shorts.

Some San Francisco theaters showed individual and double-feature WC Fields films back in the 70s.

The prints were 35 mm and very high quality, so some studio or distributor all all of them and rented them out.

I wonder what happened to them?

Saw the promo and the movie looked a little creepy. i.e. it gave me a Tom Browning movie type vibe.

But I'll have to check this out (at least to see how many stars I can recognize). Do you know if TCM is showing the original release version (90 min.), or the 77 min. one?

Years ago channel 38 in Boston had a slew of old Paramount movies. This was one of them. Yes, it is creepy in a Babes in Toyland sort of way. W.C. Fields' Humpty Dumpty is really strange and that's putting it mildly. Can't wait to see this flick again.

Janet0312 said...

Years ago channel 38 in Boston had a slew of old Paramount movies. This was one of them. Yes, it is creepy in a Babes in Toyland sort of way. W.C. Fields' Humpty Dumpty is really strange and that's putting it mildly. Can't wait to see this flick again.

==================================

That was mid-1970's. I was watching then too (and audio-taping a lot of those great old Paramounts too...before we ever thought we'd be able to eventually have our very own video copies).

Actually most of the old Paramount movies Channel 38 had at that time were the comedies: Fields, Marx Brothers, Mae West. Just a few years earlier Channel 4, Boston had the Paramount pre-1948 package and ran a lot of the really obscure titles that still have yet to be brought back.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> I believe I was the one that initially made the creepy comment (based on seeing the promo today), but I agree that creepy isn't inherently negative. Odd can be entertaining.

Im glad I'm not the only one who thinks this film looks creepy. It makes "Freaks" look like a Sandra Dee flick.

Did you mention 'Freaks' based on what I said before that?

i.e. it gave me a Tom Browning movie type vibe.

Also I wonder if the movie was made as a movie for kids teen or more for adults? i.e. did adults take their kids to see this movie?

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

>

> Also I wonder if the movie was made as a movie for kids or more for adults? i.e. did adults take their kids to see this movie?

>

>

>

We-ell, this is just a guess, but from the trailer, I have a hunch that a lot of lobbies in 1933 were filled with screaming,crying, fleeing children who were probably none too dry downstairs either.

Well, some would say the original book is kind of creepy. I've always found Tenniel's drawings to be more than a little creepy (and quite beautiful). And there are some *very* freaky adaptations of Alice out there.

I've never seen the "ultimate" adaptation of Alice in Wonderland (yet). I like bits and pieces of every film, but none of them really rise above the others for me. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one measures up.

> {quote:title=Shuvcat wrote:}{quote}

>

> I've never seen the "ultimate" adaptation of Alice in Wonderland (yet). I like bits and pieces of every film, but none of them really rise above the others for me.

It's a book whose "bookiness" really doesn't lend itself well to film adaptations.

I read Alice at twelve and *loved it* (it helps that I read a very handsome edition) I immediately followed with Through the Looking Glass which I did not like.

gagman66 said...

... In all likeyhood the movie has probably been buried by Disney for decades...

=======================================

No, this movie has never been suppressed because of any later Disney version.

and then there's this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTR5XYjyZTB803aHYgBrXb

I found it under google images for Alice in Wonderland, 1933.

My God, as if The Great Depression and the constant threat of Polio weren't enough to scare the snot out of kids.

I'm telling you, some of them were sleeping with their parents 'til they were twelve.