Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Deanna Durbin 1921 - 2013

hlywdkjk

From the NYTimes -

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/movies/deanna-durbin-1930s-star-of-universal-pictures-dies-at-91.html?hpw

"Deanna Durbin, who as a plucky child movie star with a sweet soprano voice charmed American audiences during the Depression and saved Universal Pictures from bankruptcy before she vanished from public view 64 years ago, has died, a fan club announced on Tuesday. She was 91."

"In a newsletter, the Deanna Durbin Society said Ms. Durbin died ?a few days ago,? quoting her son, Peter H. David, who thanked her admirers for respecting her privacy. No other details were given."

Wow. So sorry to hear this. Another star I'd hoped RO might interview. :(

I wonder if TCM plans on showing any films? Hope so.

Edited by: Hibi on May 1, 2013 10:24 AM

Janet0312 said...

Her name is mentioned in Here Come the Co-eds in a song that Lou and Peggy Ryan sing, "Let's Play House".

==========================

Exactly right! (I thought that may be a difficult one...but not for our TCM movie experts!)

> {quote:title=mariah23 wrote:}{quote}I think in honor of Deanna's passing, we watch one (or twenty) of her films on YouTube today.

I just watched her sing, "Begin the Beguine" from HERS TO HOLD.

Deanna was my first Ginny, in a way. My mother had a book on Judy's life in pictures and when I was 10 or so I read about the making of EVERY SUNDAY and Deanna being dropped by MGM after that. I was so sad for this girl who basically, according to the legend, had lost her "sing-off" with Miss Garland.

I would only learn recently that the story was all wrong and that Deanna was dropped by MGM before the short was filmed and then called back under the terms of her departure because MGM wanted her for the short and Universal hadn't cast her in a film yet.

Deanna had a contract, Judy had a contract, and there was no fateful decision connected to EVERY SUNDAY at all.

603682_261356224007794_1584450318_n.jpg

Somehow I knew this day was coming as Durbin was getting older and I dreaded this for someone I liked very much. Growing up her films were really not shown on TV. Its only in later years when some of her films started popping up on video and TV did I get to know all about Deanna Durbin. I love musicals and I always wonder how her career would have gone had she stayed at MGM. People always tried to induce her into a comeback but she stuck to her guns and stayed out of the limelight. I wrote her a nice fan letter in the mid 90's and enclosed some pictures for her to autograph. Never thought she would sign but surprisingly she did. Sad to hear of her passing but hopefully now more of her pictures will turn up on TV and video especially CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY.

WOW. RO was a **** in his younger days. I dont even recognize him from that photo! I was laughing over his slamming Martha Stewart. I remember her being on, but not much about what she said.........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}WOW. RO was a **** in his younger days. I dont even recognize him from that photo! I was laughing over his slamming Martha Stewart. I remember her being on, but not much about what she said.........

That's a screen capture of RO as Mr. Drysdale's assistant in The Beverly Hillbillies pilot film. I'm rather proud that Danny borrowed that from my Virginia Weidler FB page. Usually I'm borrowing photos from everyone else...

By the way, RO's voice hasn't changed one whit.