Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Daytime Theme/Link

allthumbs

the programmer has some curious linkages for thurs & fri May 2 & 3.

Thurs, May 2. the link running through all but one movie is jewels, jewelry and/or theft. the oddball is Married Before Breakfast which has none of these (if you ignore the wedding ring at the end.) so i'd say the programmer made a mistake with Married Before Breakfast and should have selected a different movie. the stand out movie here is The Locket, if flashbacks don't confuse you!

Fri, May 3. it's Happy Birthday day (almost?). Aline MacMahon, Mary Astor and Beulah Bondi were born on this date. the fourth, Bing Crosby, has two dates listed: May 2 at IMDb and May 3 in the TCM database. Happy Birthday to Der Bingle, Aline, Mary and Beulah.

A variety of daytime themes for the week of May 6-10.

Mon, May 6. it's a birthday tribute to three actors:

Rudolph Valentino,1895 (2 movies) including The Shiek & Four Horsemen of the

Apocalypse

Orson Welles, 1915 (2) The Magnificent Ambersons & The Lady from Shanghai

Stewart Granger, 1913 (3) btw Soldiers Three is the one between Gunga Din & (The

Rat Pack's) Sergeants Three

Tues, May 7. 9 movies all made/released in 1940

Wed, May 8 Judy Garland (5) & Dirk Bogarde (4) with one flik, I Could Go on Singing, that has both stars in it. neither was born on this date (Garland/6.10.22, Bogarde/3.28.21) so their

selection is the programmer's secret.

Thurs, May 9 Alain Delon all day, and it's not his birthday either, which is November 8.

Fri, May 10 Best Actor winners 1935-41 with the recipients' movies aired in chronological order.

of the bunch, my most anticipated film is So Long at the Fair (1950), Wed/630 PM est, which is based on an Urban Legend which grew from the International Exposition (World's Fair) held in Paris in 1889. the plot was reworked for TV in a 1/2 hour Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode which starred AH's daughter, Pat.

Week of May 12-18

usually Sat and Sun are a mixture of movies with no particular theme, but Sun, May 12 features films commemorating Mother's Day all day. of note is the noirish, The Reckless Moment directed by Max Ophuls, which is being shown Sun morn at 730 AM est.

Monday, May 13 starts with two Laurel and Hardy two reelers in English. then it's more L&H, both shorts and features produced for foreign markets in Spanish, except one which is in French. then Monday's honoree changes to Walter Connolly (Claudette Colbert's father in It Happened One Night, which is NOT being shown). Connolly gets four slots. curiously no one's birthday-not Laurel, Hardy or Connolly-is May 13.

Tues is an all daytime lineup of movies with Edna Ferber, who wrote the source novel or play, as their link.

Wed, May 15 honors Joseph Cotten (1905-94) on his birthday with a full day of films.

Thurs, May 16 is a perplextion and it looks like it's supposed to be a contiuation of the Wed night and Thur morning theme "Movies for Grown-Ups". however, i don't think Forbidden Planet, which kicked off the theme at 8 PM Wed and which features Robby the Robot, is a 100% grown-ups only type of picture. maybe i've missed something somewhere along the way.

Fri, May 17 is a split tribute. first off is George Seitz (1888-1944), Director, and it's not his birthday, which is Jan 3. Seitz directed at least a dozen Hardy films prior to his death. Four films (none a Hardy pic) directed by Seitz are scheduled and will be followed by five films starring Maureen O'Sullivan (1911-98) (she of Tarzan movies as Jane, but none of the Tarzan fliks are scheduled.) it is O'Sullivan's birthday on this date.

Saturday is the usual variety with no particular theme.

of this group, i like the first three pics on Wed in honor of Joseph Cotten and which starts at 630 AM est. this group starts with Lydia which is an American remake of the much admired Marcel Carne flik, Un Carnet de Bal (which should be shown at the very least some Sunday night). then follows what is knowingly (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) an Orson Welles picture, Journey into Fear. last of the three is The Third Man (again), but hey, i like TTM and actually enjoy seeing it again (and again, and again...)

Sun, May 19-Mon, May 27

A note about Thur, May 16 on my last post. I guessed that it was a continuation of the Wed night theme Movies for Grown-Ups which i didn't think was populated with all grown-up type movies. Well, there was an unannounced Guest Programmer from the retired folks organization, AARP. He had a kinda/sorta explanation of why Forbidden Planet fits the "grown-up" category. So if that explanation fits a description of the Thurs daytime lineup then "continuation" fits. then again, it's all just a big "maybe." And the daytime announcer was no help because he never mentioned anything that I heard about the daily theme.

So...

Sun, May 19 is a mixture of topics.

Mon, May 20 is James Stewart's (1908-97) birthday with his fliks all day. The Mortal Storm at 10 AM est stands out.

Tue, May 21 is a split birthday tribute to Kay Kendall (1926-59) and Robert Montgomery (1904-81). Kendall died much too soon as her work showed she had much talent. Montgomery always exuded talent and his ability to pick quality projects within the confines of the studio system make his filmography impressive. Of note for Kendall is Les Girls at 830 AM est, and Montgomery's portrayal of Danny in Night Must Fall, 3 PM est.

Wed, May 22 features Ronald Colman (1891-1958) and Anne Baxter (1923-85). Neither Colman nor Baxter were born on this date. Colman, b. 2.9.1891, was skipped because of 31 Days of Oscar. Baxter was born on May 7. Colman's worst comedy (?) The Story of Mankind (1957) is on, but one of his best comedies, Champagne for Caesar, keeps being overlooked.

Since male driven/featured movies for Memorial Day Weekend start on Saturday, women get a small set-off with women featured in the Thurs/Fri daytime schedule. Thur, May 23 starts with a documentary: Without Lying Down-Power Women in Hollywood at 6 AM est. Then comes movies with female stars with power: Norma Shearer, Mary Pickford, Dorothy Mackaill, and Jean Harlow among those honored. Thurs daytime concludes with another documentary, Complicated Women, about women in Pre-Code films at 7 PM est.

Fri, May 24 has 8 movies with women's names (first and last name, for example: Kitty Foyle, Nora Prentiss).

Sat thru Mon, May 25-27 is dedicated to Memorial Day features all day for three days.

Thank you. I refer to you and calvin to make sure my Tomorrow on TCM thread remains as accurate as possible.

We have not had any major schedule interruptions this year with memorial tributes. The Richard Zanuck tribute was delayed and worked into a primetime spotlight. I do not think there will be anything for Deanna Durbin, though I hope I'm wrong about that.

Tue, May 28 thru Sun June 2

After the three day Memorial Day schedule of wall-to-wall war themed movies, it's back to regular daytime programming on Tues morning.

Tues, May 28 is a kinda/sorta theme of "Returns" as in coming home, coming back from or seeing/doing things again (I think). That's one possibility, but if anyone thinks it's something different, then your conclusions are welcome. Birthday possibilities of the Classic Era that were skipped included John Payne, Carroll Baker and Martha Vickers (the filmographies were thin by the time I looked up Vickers.) On the back side of the camera producer Irwin Winkler was an option, and Gordon Willis, cinematographer, was the best of all the birthday people. Willis' films before 1980 might be tough acquisitions and the two Godfather movies are unavailable. Willis' first credit is 1970.

Wed, May 29 is Bob Hope's (1903-2003) birthday. the lineup includes two films from the 50's (including The Iron Petticoat, groan) and six movies from the 60's. Skipped again was Hope's best effort (and Oscar attempt?), Beau James (1957, about 1920's NYC Mayor Jimmy Walker) from this period. **** would have been a good pick for Illeana Douglas' Second Looks.

Thur, May 30 is a day of four sets of movies with the original film followed immediately by the remake/redo. For example, The Mayor of Hell (1933) w/Jimmy Cagney and Crime School (1938), the remake w/Humphrey Bogart, are set for 7 AM and 845 AM edt.

Fri, May 31 features two actors, but no birthdays. First is Trevor Howard (9.29.1913-1988) with 5 films, and then Jason Robards (Jr) (7.26.1922-2000), who has 2 movies scheduled. Included in this package is Howard and Richard Widmark in Run for the Sun (1956) at 1130 AM edt. That's a remake (could have been a selection for the previous day) of The Most Dangerous Game, the often done story about a man who hunts humans for sport. Birthday possibilities included Fred Allen, Don Ameche, Clint Eastwood (featured Thurs night), and Jim Hutton (for which I'm thankful I won't be shown the Hutton/Paula Prentiss series again.)

Sat and Sun, June 1/2 is the usual mixture of genres.

Mon, June 3 thru Sun; Jun 9.

There's a good alotment of different/seldom seen movies to view during weekdays plus a few of the usual well known fliks. Since I haven't seen many of the scheduled fliks, I'll demur on their qualities.

Mon, June 3 commemorates Paulette Goddard's (1910-1990) birthday. Included are two with her husband Charlie Chaplin, Modern Times (1936) and The Great Dictator (1940), and one with Jimmy Stewart, Pot O' Gold (1940, and which Stewart famously called his worst movie). Amazingly, Tony Curtis was skipped even though it's his birthday.

Tues, June 4 leads off at 630 edt with one film, Hollywood Canteen, which is a continuation of Star of the Month features with Eleanor Parker. Hers is a cameo part in HC. Then comes the 1939 winner of the Jesse Lasky Gateway To Hollywood Contest. Oh, you don't seem to recall that award. Well, it went to Virginia Vale, who was born Dorothy Howe (5.20.1920-2006) and TCM showcases her Poverty Row career all day. She made most of her movies in the 1939-42 time period and then she was gone. At first, I thought the daytime honoree was George O'Brien, but he wasn't listed in every film, so i had to rearrange my thinking on this one.

On Wed, June 5 Robert Taylor (8.5.1911-1969) is featured. Taylor is usually skipped on his birthday because he was born during August, which TCM uses to feature Summer Under The Stars programming. IMO it's an unannounced make-up for the skip. The featured Taylor movies are a pretty good mix of familiar and not too famous titles.

Thurs, June 6 is a tribute to the D-Day Invasion on the 69th anniversary. Again, the TCM programmer comes through with different, not usual selections.

The Fri, June 7 theme is what I'll call "Daydreams, Dreams, and Fantasies." The plots and stars are a diverse group ranging from A&C in Jack and the Beanstalk (1952) to the "first" noir Stranger on the Third Floor (1940) to a three reel, silent movie with Charlie Chaplin, The Idle Class (1921). The dream sequence in Stranger is a particularly inspired piece of filmmaking. (Stranger is also a good warm-up for Eddie Muller's Noir Writers spotlight which starts Fri Night.)

Sat and Sun, June 8 & 9 are the usual variety of stars and genres.

I'm earmarking Virginia Vale on Tues because it's so different I'm not sure whether I'll be laughing, mesmerized, entertained or stupified. I also think I'll like Fri because of the mix of people and styles in the lineup. It's sorta/kinda Last Year at Marienbad Lite!

ADD ON: I stand corrected about Virginia Vale's feature film career. After she won the Lasky contest she worked at RKO in about a dozen features for two years, 1939-41. RKO was not a Poverty Row studio. (They were just pretty cheap.) Then she found work for about a year at PRC (Producer's Releasing Corporation) where she made three features in 1941-42 and one more last gasp feature in 1945. PRC was a Poverty Row studio.

Edited by: allthumbs on Jun 1, 2013 8:56 PM

From the main menu, click on someone's name and find a thread they last posted in, in the General section, then you can go to that post and reply to them.

What is missing is the General Discussions INDEX page.

Mon, Jun 10 to Sun, Jun 16.

Due to the death of Esther Williams, TCM will pay a 24 hour tribute to her beginning Thurs June 13 at 8 PM. On Thurs evening the theme Terms of Inheritance was cancelled and the Fri daytime lineup was changed from non-birthday honorees Katherine Hepburn and director Lewis Gilbert to Williams. I hope the films that were part of the Hepburn/Gilbert lineup get rescheduled.

Monday, June 10 is a split tribute to two actors, Hattie McDaniel (1892-1952) on her birthday and Robert Hutton (1920-94) whose birth date is tomorrow, June 11. Both are being commemorated with airings of five films from their filmography.

Tues, June 11 starts with three films which continue the SOTM tribute to Eleanor Parker started Mon at 8 PM. Then, there are four films with "Hitchhikers" as the common thread. In one, They Drive By Night (1940), the Hitchhiking scene is very, very brief.

Wed, June 12 is, well, it's...it's...what it is. I looked at the casts and found no link. Then the directors, all different. Genre? Nope. Plot link? Nothing similar. So if Scared to Death (1947), Pillow to Post (1945), Danger Signal (1945), Bedtime Story (1942), etc have a link please post it here. I'm clueless. Maybe the announcer/reader will say something that links the whole bunch.

Thurs, June 13 is a birthday tribute to Basil Rathbone (1892-1967) with a nice mix of swordplay, villiany and Sherlock Holmes from the 30's to the 60's.

Fri, June 14 is the tribute to Esther Williams.

Sat, June 15 is the usual mix of genres.

Sun, June 16 is Father's Day with Dads the subject during daytime, although by the time TCM gets to the last picture, Smoky and the Bandit, the Dad subject is being interpreted very loosely.

Add On/Correction/Supplement, Sat, June 8. Thanks Clore for the really quick post about my Weds aimlessness. It is in fact an all day tribute to Joyce Compton (1.27.1907-97). All the Weds daytime features are in her filmography at IMDb. She's credited there with 125 movie titles from 1925-58 and appears mostly as a 2nd or 3rd tier actor in most of her credits. The TCM tribute includes a couple of uncredited (on screen) appearances but which are still listed at IMDb.

Wed, June 12 is, well, it's...it's...what it is. I looked at the casts and found no link. Then the directors, all different. Genre? Nope. Plot link? Nothing similar. So if Scared to Death (1947), Pillow to Post (1945), Danger Signal (1945), Bedtime Story (1942), etc have a link please post it here. I'm clueless. Maybe the announcer/reader will say something that links the whole bunch.

The link appears to be Joyce Compton.

Thanks for letting me know what I'll be missing for ten days. My 50th high school reunion is next week-end and I'm spending the next week with my mother who'll be 90 years old on Wednesday. She gets Comcast or whatever they call it and would have to pay extra for TCM so I'm without it until I get back. Have fun, one and all! I will but in a different way.

The week of June 17-23 commemorates several birthdays with only one theme during daytime hours.

Mon, June 17 is a bithday tribute to Ralph Bellamy (1904-91). Bellamy did many films in a long career and the tribute only has two often shown features, The Awful Truth (1937) and Sunrise at Campobello (1960). The rest are mostly from his days where he lost the girl to someone else, but most of the films are new to me. One note: the programmer was discombobbled and had This LAND Is Mine (1943) (which doesn't have Bellamy in the cast) originally scheduled for 1245 PM edt, but later changed the picture to This MAN Is Mine (1934) which does include Bellamy (and Constance Cummings I might add).

Tues, June 18 starts with four films that continue the SOTM movies with Eleanor Parker which started Mon night. Then there's a small group of three films to honor the birthday of Jeanette McDonald (1903-65).

Wed, June 19 is the birthday of Dame May Whitty (1865-1948) and she's honored with a full daytime schedule of movies. She was a character actress who found herself cast as the "grandma type" by the time she started to act in talkies.

Thur, June 20 has one word titled movies as the theme. (That's a theme?) Of the group, I like Cornered (1945), 330 PM edt, w/Dick Powell since it's a personal fav.

Fri, June 21 is a split birthday tribute to Judy Holiday (1921-65) and Jane Russell (1921-2011). Curiously they both have exactly the same birthdate in 1921 but Russell lived 45 years longer than Holiday. You never know!

Sat and Sun, June 22-23 is the usual mixture. The Sat 1045 AM edt slot continues with a Falcon movie, followed by the continuing 12 Noon Lassie flik.

I like the Wed lineup w/Dame May Whitty best, mostly because it will have a showing of My Name Is Julia Ross (1945), 130 PM edt, in addition to The Constant Nymph (1943), 8 AM edt. My Name Is Julia Ross is being given a daytime showing instead of a forsaken middle of the night time slot. The group does include (ugh!) Lassie Come Home at 1145 AM edt (but "To each his own.")

Add on for Sun, June 16, Father's Day.

I made a comment regarding programming on Father's Day about the loose link in the PM programming. Well, I just read an explanation in the Washington Post online and saw BenMan's interview with his father before Citizen Kane was shown at 1145 AM today.

BenMan has his father on as a guest host/raconteur for Father's Day and the four films being shown between 1145 AM and 8 PM edt. Frank Mankiewicz, BenMan's father, was the son of screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz (Citizen Kane, 1941, Oscar for screenwriting). Frank M chose politics (later NPR radio) for a career. So, to honor the Mankiewicz heritage BenMan is showing the Oscar winning movie written by his grandfather, and two movies with politics as the subject/plot (All the King's Men (1949) and The Last Hurrah (1958)) as a tribute to his father, Frank. Finally, Smokey and the Bandit (1977) is being shown because it's the first movie BenMan remembers seeing with his father

This piece of info brings the diverse PM movie list for Father's Day into focus. Thanks to VP19 for the (separate) post and the heads-up link.

For the week of June 24-30 there's a mix of birthdays and themes.

On Mon, June 24 the link is "Look-a-likes" or "Doubles". One movie has the Mauch Twins in The Prince and the Pauper (1937), 12 Noon, playing the look-a-likes. Otherwise, the roles of the doubles are played by one actor and include Eddie G., Elvis, Ronald Coleman and Jerry Lewis.

Tue, June 25 has two films featuring the SOTM, Eleanor Parker, continuing the tribute which started Mon night. Then there's a birthday tribute of four films to (the still living) June Lockhart, b.1925.

Wed, June 26 was perplexing for a while. There was sort of a theme, Bad Boys/Noirish doings, but it didn't apply to all the movies. So I looked at casts and directors and got no clue. And then, all of sudden it was so obvious. All the films were 1950 releases! How shortsighted am I? As an alternative to this theme, the only prominent classic film star born on this date is Peter Lorre (1904-64).

Thurs, June 27 is a very merry unbirthday tribute to Felix Feist (2.28.1910-1965) and Patricia Medina (7.19.1919-2012). Prior to 1940, Feist directed mostly shorts, then A minus/B films 1940-55 and finished with TV work until his death in 1965. He's probably most famous for Donovan's Brain (1953) which TCM is showing at 10 AM. Medina didn't really get her career started until she was in her 30's. But she worked steadily in the late 40's and 50's. Unfortunately, TCM won't be showing either of her better movies, Mr. Arkadin (1955) or The Killing of Sister George (1968). Then again, maybe Sister George is more of a candidate for a 3 AM showing on The Underground.

Fri, June 28 looks like it's "Unlikely Romantic Couples". Hey, it's June!

Sat and Sun, June 29-30 is the usual mix of themes. Falcon pics continue at 1045 AM Sat, followed at Noon by a Lassie movie.

For the week of July 1-7 TCM celebrates a couple of Independence Days but no birthdays (they did get the month right for a couple of people.)

Mon, July 1 is Canadian Independence Day and TCM scheduled a variety of Classic Era movies about Canada to celebrate the day.

On Tues, July 2, TCM honors Jack Cardiff (9.18.1914-2009), cinematographer, with movies he photographed before he became a director. The daytime lineup concludes with the documentary Cameraman, a biographical tribute to his legend.

Wednesday, July 3 is a dose of early Warren Oates (7.5.1928-82). Look fast in some of these pics, his billing matches his parts, which means they're small.

Thurs is July 4th and a 24 hour Independence celebration. Daytime starts with Revolutionary Era pics in the AM and then branches out to sample the American heritage as done in Hollywood with songs.

Fri, July 5 mixes two elements, a theme and a person. First is four films with "Lighthouses" as the link, and then slides into a tribute to Walter Brennan (7.25.1894-1974). The fouth film of the day, A Stolen Life (1947), 1030 AM, features both a lighthouse and Walter Brennan as the lighthouse keeper.

Sat and Sun, July 6-7 is the usual eclectic mix. The weekly schedule of a Falcon pic, Sat 1045 AM, and Lassie, Sat Noon, continues. On the schedule Sat at 6 AM is The Ghost Ship, a clever B movie; and Sun at 8 AM is Bess, one of better examples of Hollywood taking a real person and a few facts, but then twisting the whole thing into a gross fabrication which insults history.

• 2 weeks later...

It's back to the beach and back to birthdays for the week of July 8-14.

Mon, July 8 it's action at the beach with seven movies from the '60's and numerous shorts. And don't forget Frankie and Annette who finish up the daytime pics in two "Beach Party Movies" from the series middle period. That means all the supporting players are along to mug it up.

Tues, July 9 is another tribute to Glenn Ford (5.1.1916-2006) and fills the daytime schedule. There was a 24 hour commemoration on his birthday in May. There's some good fliks early with the familiar Gilda (1946) at 6 AM edt, The Big Heat (1953) at 915 AM and the very good and different western The Fastest Gun Alive (1956) 11 AM.

Wed, July 10 is a birthday celebration for John Gilbert (1897-1936). There's a balanced group of four silents and four talkies being shown and most are of the "seldom seen" variety. I know I haven't seen them.

Thurs, July 11 is Tab Hunter's birthday. Hunter (b. 1931) is still living. The TCM tribute focuses on the early films of Hunter, when he was a teenage heartthrob and his picture was on the cover of (what seemed like every) teen celebrity magazine.

Fri, July 12 features a day of Joanne Dru (1.31.1922-1996) pics. The best are late 40's films which are shown in the AM, edt, and then the "no star-power" cast in the very good Wagon Master (1950) at 1215 PM edt. Dru doesn't seem to have weathered the transition out of the studio system well as evidenced by the later films being shown.

Sat/Sun, July 13/14 has a mix of genres including the weekly Falcon film Sat at 1045 and Lassie pic at noon. A new wrinkle is Gidget movies Sun at noon. Of note is the controversial (in its time) British noir No Orchids for Miss Blandish (1948), Sat at 730 AM edt. It looks like TCM has slotted the unedited version (103 minutes) for the showing.

I see the new, modern Now Playing Magazine will have daytime themes listed starting with the Sept issue. I guess that makes my identifications a duplication. We'll see.

The week of July 15-21 has one birthday celebration, a day for a subject, three directors, and an obscure actor on the schedule.

Monday, July 15 leads off with a pair of Stewart Granger/George Sanders movies, The Whole Truth at 6 AM, edt (1958) and The Light Touch at 730 AM, edt (1952). Other than the Granger/Sanders connection, Truth doesn't seem to have any connection to much else being shown throughout the day. Touch is the first film of six being shown by director Richard Brooks (5.18.1912-1992). The Brooks list has a chronological progression of his second tier pictures showing.

Tues, July 16 is a full schedule of films directed by Lewis Milestone (9.30.1895-1980). Of note is Rain (1932) with Joan Crawford at 6 AM, edt. Rain was the stage vehicle made famous by Jeanne Eagels in the 20's, but she was dead by the time the talkie was made by Milestone. Later is A Walk in the Sun (1946) one of the best WWII films about combat. Unfortunately, the daytime concludes with the 1962 remake of Mutiny on the Bounty, which is a lifeless affair.

Wed, July 17 is a birthday tribute to Marcel Dalio (1900-1983). Dalio has 138 movie credits at IMDb that start in French movies during the early talkie era in 1931. He acted in French films till the Nazis overran Paris in 1940. From there he journeyed like a wandering refugee somewhat like the route described at the beginning of Casablanca (1943) (except for the North African part.) He landed in Hollywood and found parts, but he was never as big a star in the US as he was in France. After WWII he worked in France and Hollywood till his death in 1983. HIs line to Claude Rains in Casablanca (1943) as Emil, Rick's croupier, is classic: "Your winnings, sir."

Thurs, July 18 has two separate links. First (I think this is the link) is a four film remembrance for an obscure actor, George Meeker (3.5.1904-1984). Meeker entered films during the late silents, became a second tier player in the 30's, but faded into billed and unbilled parts in the 40's. He disappeared from films with his uncredited role in Honeychile (1951). Starting at 1215 PM is a 6 film tribute to Preston Sturges, screenwiter/director, (8.29.1898-1959). The first film is Child of Manhattan (1933), which is based on a play written by Sturges and performed on Broadway long before Sturges became famous in Hollywood. BTW that film has no other Sturges connection other than play authorship. Then come films directed by Sturges. The last, The Palm Beach Story (1942), spills over to an 8 PM, edt, showing as the first of Guest Programmer Frank Rich's selections.

On Fri, July 19 the daytime theme is Baseball. BenMan's Pick of the Month, The Jackie Robinson Story (1950) is being shown at 230 PM, edt. That's an interesting movie, but it's a bit flat as movie entertainment goes due to the real Robinson's acting chops, which were limited (but NOT nonexistent). Anyway, the real tragedy on the schedule is The Babe Ruth Story (1948) which is pretty much Hollywood hokem.

Sat/Sun mixes up the genres and forgets about birthdays. There's still a Falcon movie Sat at 1045 AM, edt, but Lassie at Noon is gone. The new Sat Noon slot features Hammer Horror films for awhile. Sun at Noon is a Gidget movie.

On the Now Playing previews show, BenMan says something about the ending of The Jackie Robinson Story being out of place. I'm not so sure about that. In context and as part of the times of the early 50's (Iron Curtain, Korean War, Red Scare) the piece sort of fits. Add in Robinson's own political affiliation (he was a Republican and usually appeared at the National Convention as a delegate after he was done with baseball) and it makes some oddball sense.