Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ozu triple play.

slaytonf

TCM imports this month feature three of Yasujiro Ozu's films: Late Spring, Early Summer, and Late Autumn. Each features the fine actress Setsuko Hara, as well as members of his informal repertory group of actors, including Chishu Ryu, and Haruko Sugimura. If it hadn't been for Memorial Day, which brings us The Cranes Are Flying, we might have gotten Tokyo Story, for a grand slam.

Ozu does not have mass audience appeal. His direction is static, with almost no camera movement. Yet his composition is exquisite. No other director achieves the beauty of his pictures. His stories focus on the small events and tragedies of middle-class Japanese life, particularly questions of marriage. They are told plainly, with simple elements, and they seem unremarkable, yet they are deceptively involving, and by the end of the picture, the viewer is surprised to note how affected they are.

Thanks, TCM, and bring us Tokyo Story soon.

I am looking forward to this Ozu triple play too. I have enjoyed watching many of his films. TOKYO STORY is a favorite of mnie. A couple of years ago I bought the Criterion "Silent Ozu" set, and really enjoyed them all. Thanks TCM for bringing us more OZU! :)