Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crossfire


Recommended Posts

I agree with you that it would of been 'neat' if Montgomery was killed by running in front of a car. Then a sad and confused looking driver gets out of the car and says 'sorry, I didn't have time to stop,, the guy just came out of nowhere!'.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I dunno, methinks a fatal car accident would have been anticlimactic, somehow. I mean, a car hitting Montgomery would have had nothing to do with the rest of the story, whereas, with Finley shooting him, it all connects.

 

One segment I've always found rather strange, almost un-nerving, in this film, is the one with Mitch and some other guy, both waiting for Gloria Grahame in her apartment. The whole scene is weird to the point of almost surreal. Who is this other guy? Why does he keep changing his story about his relationship with Gloria Grahame's character? Is he her husband, her lover, or just an obsessed hanger-on? And why did Mitch go to her apartment anyway? He's not really interested in having a one night stand with her, or anything else. The dialogue between Mitch and the strange man in G.G.'s dingy sitting -room is tense and absurd.

Another bit that's kind of disturbing ( in some ways I find this almost as disturbing as Ryan's nasty character, and the murder he commits...) is Gloria's refusal to bear witness that MItch was with her, earlier in the evening. Key testimony, a legitimate alibi that could get Mitch off the hook, yet she refuses. Apparently she has no desire to save an innocent man from a murder rap. Very odd.

And then that disgruntled mystery man emerges from somewhere, and he confirms Mitch's alibi.

 

That whole part of the story is like something from Bizarro world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As related in the book Film Noir (Ward Silver), the Paul Kelly character is the 'one truly unusual characterization,,,, as Gloria's boyfriend'. Now I remember him telling the police that he is her husband but that they are separated. Since in those days one party could block a divorce I assumed Gloria wanted a divorce but he refused. BUT then this book says 'boyfriend' (which I haven't noticed until today!). So yea, what was he?

 

So yea, the scenes you mention are surreal but they are what pushes the picture in a noir direction. Otherwise it is just a crime message picture. Oh, and Gloria played hardball with the police because she (like everyone according to Young), hate the police. I think the scene plays out the way it does so that Gloria can be surly. I mean, having Gloria play nice in a noir just wouldn't work!

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I've just started Eddie Muller's film noir book, "Dark City". He seems to be very witty. Some of you have read it, haven't you?

Yep, and it's one of the best books on the best film genre by the best author on the subject. Can't go wrong with that combo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}...

>

> ...yea, the scenes you mention are surreal but they are what pushes the picture in a noir direction. Otherwise it is just a crime message picture. Oh, and Gloria played hardball with the police because she (like everyone according to Young), hate the police. I think the scene plays out the way it does so that Gloria can be surly. I mean, having Gloria play nice in a noir just wouldn't work!

>

Well, I don't disagree with that. If my post made it sound as though I didn't like the scenes I discussed, or felt *Crossfire* would have been a better film without them, then I miscommunicated.

 

As you say, it's the oddness, that sense of things being somehow out-of-whack, that contributes to the "noir" feeling of the film.

However, as for not co-operating with the police because one "hates the police", that to me suggests the police-hater is not particularly bright, since by telling the truth and testifying that they were with the accused at the time of the crime, they are not helping the police, they are helping an innocent person be spared from a trial and possible imprisonment or worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

h5. Okay, let me first start by saying Jake's response made me smile and I really liked it. Thumbs up. LOL

 

The scene you refer to is a strange one to me also. Maybe they had rewrites while shooting, and for some strange reason, the scene remains with the characters untethered to the plot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

© 2022 Turner Classic Movies Inc. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...