Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alain Delon tomorrow!

slaytonf

Some movies can be overlooked, but make sure to see Purple Noon, one of his early hits. A recent version, The Talented Mr. Ripley, doesn't compare. And there is Rocco and His Brothers, Visconti can always be counted on. I am also interested in Have I the Right to Kill?, and Once a Theif. Of course, it would be nice to see Le Samourai, too.

Madonna mia, mil grazie slaytonf.

Rocco and His Brothers is a treat. No, 'scustamatta' (yeah, spelling, SM) doesn't translate to 'shameless' and 'putana' isn't 'brat'. :)

If you're Italian or wish you were, you'll *love* this movie.

Thanks for the heads up, slaytonf.

Very interesting.

I remember Alain back when I had a crush on Robert Fuller * cough * 1964. I recall a lot of hullabaloo over him, because he was so very sexy and handsome. He's not bad, even today.

Both Rocco and His Brothers and Purple Noon were quite engaging, in their own way. I was puzzled with Rocco, but when I saw Purple Noon, it came back to me that he was a French idol, baaaack in the day.

*SPOILER*

On PN - could the body really have gotten caught up that way? Cool *gotcha* ending, though.

missw, was there a picture?

Hoo boy, here are some hotsy totsy pictures:

*http://tinyurl.com/bn2srnd*

What is on right now?

[Have I the Right to Kill|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/1892/Have-I-the-Right-to-Kill/] (1963)

or, as FIOS is telling me,

*The Unvanquished (1964)*

???

Three languages! Kudos, Alain.

Here's my love, though:

*http://tinyurl.com/ctomrdx*

Not to worry, Warren, you're still my future husband:

*http://tinyurl.com/d9lgs8x*

*------ sigh*

*:x*

This is one of the best set of hard-to-find movies that've shown up in many a month here. My only nitpick is that it's too bad that one playing now ( Have I The Right To Kill ) is dubbed rather than subtitled, but that's like looking a gift cheval in the mouth.

> {quote:title=willbefree25 wrote:}{quote}missw, was there a picture?

>

>

Yes, I posted a pic of a young, very handsome Alain Delon, with some dog ( a canine, I hasten to add, I would never use the word "dog" in any other context.)

I am surprised and disappointed that you can't see it.

I usually use MozzillaFirefox to both post and capture images from the Net. Maybe the pics don't show up if someone's on a different server ( like Internet Explorer, or GoogleChrome.)

ps: I finally realized what you were talking about, with respect to Warren William, the other night, when I watched "Gold Diggers of 1933". The man had presence.

Rats, Andy, so Alain didn't speak English, I thought it looked weird.

So the one on now, a beatnik picture with an old Van Heflin (unwatchable for me) has him dubbed again?

The Yellow Rolls Royce was icky too, I can't abide an old Ingrid or Omar Sharif in any shape or form.

Oh well, two EXcellent movies that we'd never see anywhere else - thank you, TCM.

missw, that's why I've taken to posting urls. When I post pictures, I ruffle a few feathers here, even though some post copious and constant cwantity to my mistaken magnitudinous measurement of the male magnificence that is WW. :)

I have a personal dislike of M. Delon. He was gorgeous, and a competent actor, but the way he left his longtime lover Romy Schneider just turned me off him. He left her a note, saying "Sorry, darling." Geez.

Did he, Dothery? The modern day equivalent of the post-it (now texting, no doubt) dumping? :)

You'll get no argument from me, I too can hate actors based on their personal lives, but OH the contrary opinions you will get here about that! Don't ask.

I didn't realize that about Alain.

Oddly enough, in this article, he had angst about Ms. Schneider the rest of his days - good, he deserved it, then - so unlike the brute Lee Marvin, he seemed to actually have some regret.

http://www.connexionfrance.com/alain-delon-profile-loves-and-losses-ageing-idol-11429-news-article.html

> {quote:title=Dothery wrote:}{quote}I have a personal dislike of M. Delon. He was gorgeous, and a competent actor, but the way he left his longtime lover Romy Schneider just turned me off him. He left her a note, saying "Sorry, darling." Geez.

You think that's bad? I'd much prefer to get broken up with a note like this than the way it happened to me with a former boyfriend, who cheated on me then proceeded to call me every vile name in the book after we'd been together 15 years. It took me years to get over that.

That said, Delon is gorgeous.

Yes, indeed, Delon's looks made many a heart in Europe go pit-a-pat, and when you add to that considerable acting ability, it's no wonder he was a major star for so long. He tended to the action/adventure genre, playing cool, detached operators. But some of his pictures, especially those done with Visconti, show us what we might have had, though his thrillers with Melville were excellent.

> {quote:title=Dothery wrote:}{quote}I have a personal dislike of M. Delon. He was gorgeous, and a competent actor, but the way he left his longtime lover Romy Schneider just turned me off him. He left her a note, saying "Sorry, darling." Geez.

You think that's bad? I'd much prefer to get broken up with a note like this than the way it happened to me with a former boyfriend, who cheated on me then proceeded to call me every vile name in the book after we'd been together 15 years. It took me years to get over that.

That said, Delon is gorgeous.

I don't know ... at least there was some anger and passion with yours. Delon's might as well have been like Carrie's "Sex In The City" breakup on a Post-It note. Either way, it wasn't much fun for the recipient, as I'm sure you'll agree ...

Delon seems to have been really shallow when it came to his relationships ... committed and then out, children here and there, didn't want to see Romy at 70, was glad she died so young because she was "frozen in her beauty" ... for heaven's sake. This girl was LUCKY he took off. Whatever happened to her afterward couldn't have been half as bad as what would have, if he'd stayed with her.

Give me men, not boys.

Delon is my second favorite actor. I'm glad they showed his films (although I was at work. Ugh).

For me, Le Samourai is his crowning achievement. As far as best performance, I would say Mr. Klein. His signature roles were playing gangsters, thieves, con artists, hitmen, etc. Basically, characters who were the opposite of the pretty boy image he had.

TCM should show his films more frequently.