Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Caryll Ann Ekelund's birthday

ginnyfan

In putting together TODAY IN GINNY for my Weidler thread, I came across child actress Caryll Ann Ekelund (1935). She had one uncredited role in Shirley Temple's THE BLUEBIRD. Ekelund died in 1939 prior to the film's release.

In Temple's "Child Star" she mentioned that Caryll suffered fatal burns when a birthday cake candle caught her party dress on fire. Joe Walker told FINDADEATH.com that he actually found an article for the event attributing it to a slightly different cause.

"Emergency hospitals were kept busy with calls from mothers whose overzealous pixies got fingers burned from jack o' lanterns. Most serious was the case of Carol Ann Ekeland, 4, treated at Georgia Street Receiving Hospital for first and second-degree burns received when her costume caught fire from her lantern in front of her home."

Caryll died on November 3, 1939 as a result of her Halloween burns. We remember her as well on what should have been her 78th birthday and are saddened to think of all those ones she missed.

942945_263809010429182_1734946734_n.jpg

I had never heard this sad story until I saw it the other day. It is certainly tragic. I had a classmate in elementary school whose little sister died near Christmas one year, and I remember what a pall it put over our entire school for a long period of time.

Caryll Ann also had an older sister who went into acting, Jana Lund. Jana gave Elvis his first screen kiss in LOVING YOU.