Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

June Now Playing magazine

gurnot

I love my Now Playing magazine and start with the crossword puzzle then read all the reviews from the co-hosts and the directors and then I see the line up pages for the month and then I begin going through the days one by one. June is in honor of Eleanor Parker and although I love Robert Osborne I disagree with Eleanor Parker being an unknown actress of her day because I waited for this issue and was So pleased to see it. I was born the last month of the 40's and I love her in so many films. She is one of the most oustanding actresses to me and has played with so many great leading men. She always was so awesomely beautiful and her skills at depicting a screen are just uncanny. So I had to rebutt what was said in the Now Playing-only to add I just love Robert so it is only what I feel. Thank you TCM. I am watching and am a faithful fan!

Well in the Glenn Ford thread we are discussing which actors of the studio era are known today by the general public. Many feel that only icons like Wayne, Bogart, Liz Taylor, Monroe, Audrey Hepburn and Dean are known, with maybe Bette Davis and Joan Crawford (mostly for Mommie Dearest).

I recommend that fans of stars like Parker shouldn't take the opinion that they are not well known today as a knock on that star. It really is a knock on the knowledge of the general public as it relates to studio era movies.

While Parker is well known at this forum, the people at this forum do NOT represent the general public (far from it and I'm thankful for that!).

A lot of it has to do with what studio a star worked for. Studios whose releases are not home video or TV-friendly have the greatest risk of their stars being forgotten. Paramount and Universal are good examples. Alan Ladd, Veronica Lake, Eddie Bracken, Bing Crosby, Ray Milland, Dorothy Lamour, William Holden, Bob Hope, Robert Preston - all were Paramount stars whose films are too seldom seen today, at least compared to the MGM/Warner Brothers/RKO folks whose films are available daily on TCM and have been released on DVD. Know anybody under 50 who's ever seen a movie in the "Henry Aldrich" series?