Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Out Of The Past

cb0355

I absolutely love this movie!! Seriously, one of the best film noirs ever....Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer have such chemistry. Kirk Douglas is also so good. Did anyone else notice the subliminal messages in the scene where Douglas and Greer are in Mexican...the downpour of rain and the door bursting open...pretty sexy! also, the relationship between Douglas and his right hand man..kinda ****-erotic....such a good film!!

Just finished watching the movie, and only WONDERED why Host Robert Osborn, NEVER EVEN ONCE, mentioned the 1985 remake, "Against All Odds," which stars, Jeff Bridges, Rachel Ward, Richard Widmark, Jane Grere, and James Woods?

Against All Odds is TEN TIMES Better then "Out of the Past." Ten TIMES. I mean REALLY, look at the scene where the deaf kid, with a 5# fishing line, is going to pull "Joe" off of the rock ledge. What a Farce. Normally, remakes suck when compared to their original films, e.g., "The Out of Towners," or "Omen" for example. But in this case, though "Out of the Past, is OK for 1947 standards, it stinks in comparison to "Against All Odds," the remake. Perhaps Robert knows this himself, yet did not want to admit, hence, bragged up and down about the 1947 film and said nothing of the 1985 film?

Out of the Past is my favorite noir. And one of my favorite Mitchum roles. RO has mentioned the remake before. He doesnt make the same comments for every showing.........

yes...pretty "hidden" way to tell that the two are having sex...it is a fabulous movie..and thank you, for recommending me to see AGAINST ALL ODDS, I have never seen it before. however, i will say that rachel ward can not possibly be any competition against jane greer...she and mitchum have such good chemistry. it is a great movie and holds up so well..i plan to show it to some of my friends (19-30 yrs. old) this weekend, and see how they like it.

I've never seen *Out Of The Past* , and sorry i missed it. I couldn't really get into *Against All Odds* though, so I hope the one who thought it was the better movie was wrong.

So far, the only thing I see OOTP has going for it is that it would obviously not have a connection to that terrible PHIL COLLINS song.

Sepiatone

Sep, I really recommend you see Out Of The Past, if just for the Mitchum dialog.

For example, Mitchum finally understands the type of gal Greer is. She is in his room and trying a play on him. He tells her to leave with a line like 'get out,,, I have to sleep in this room', as if she has typhoid fever!

There are so many great quotes from "Out of the Past", but one of the very best from this or any noir film is :

Kathie {Greer}--"Oh Jeff, I don't want to die"

Jeff{Mitchum}- "Neither do I baby, but if I have to, I'm gonna die last"

"Against All Odds" was a very good remake, but "Past" is still the best....

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:}{quote}

> I've never seen *Out Of The Past* , and sorry i missed it. I couldn't really get into *Against All Odds* though, so I hope the one who thought it was the better movie was wrong.

>

> So far, the only thing I see OOTP has going for it is that it would obviously not have a connection to that terrible PHIL COLLINS song.

>

>

> Sepiatone

>

The only question about Out Of The Past is whether it or The Killers is the best noir ever made. Every time I see either one of them it leapfrogs to the top, to remain until I next watch the other one.

Evilness level of the femmes fatales: Greer by a slight margin

Best ending lines: *"Kitty is innocent! Kitty is innocent! Kitty is innocent!"* along with *"This is Friday. Don't come in 'til Monday."*

Overall atmosphere: OOTP

Best opening scene: The Killers may have the best opening scene in Hollywood history, with Conrad, McGraw, "Bright Boy" and the creepy atmosphere of a neon lit New Jersey diner at night

Lead actors: Douglas / Mitchum / Greer over Lancaster / Gardner / O'Brien

Secondary leads: Albert Dekker over everyone. It only seems fitting from a literary POV that in real life he died in a bathtub, handcuffed, blindfolded, gagged and with sexually explicit words scrawled on his body in red lipstick.

Character actors: The Killers (Conrad, McGraw, Levene, Lambert) in a walk, though definite props to Paul Valentine and Rhonda Fleming

Plot coherence: The Killers, but that's not necessarily necessary for a great noir

Soundtrack: Tie (Dragnet vs the more atmospheric theme of OOTP)

Properly grim ending: OOTP, although O'Brien's final "reward" in The Killers is droll enough to qualify on a slightly different level

As for a remake, why would anyone even try? You can't improve perfection.

It wasnt me who recommened Against All Odds. I've never seen it, but based on reviews, I dont think it's in the same league as the original, but I cant say from my end.......

LOL. I always took it to mean she's stinking up the room!! Mitchum has so many great lines, but you really have to listen as they are thrown away very casually.......

If I die, I'm gonna die last........

That was pretty common back in the day. The two stars would be on the

verge of getting it on and then a shot out of the window to the great outdoors

Meanwhile, back at the ranch.......

If I was Bob, after finding that Kirk was dead, I'd make Jane write a suicide

note admitting she killed Fisher, blow her nasty brains out, then put the gun

in her hand, fire a bullet out the open window, put another bullet in, just in case

they did gunpowder residue tests back in the day. Then it's back to Bridgeport

to save Virginny from a life of boredom with Mr. Dullard. I've always wondered

if they called the name of the town Bridgeport because Bob was born in Bridgeport,

CT., or if that was just a coincidence.

Jane was also pretty hot in The Big Steal.

The town is called Bridgeport because that is the name of the town. i.e. it was a town long before Mitchum was born. I go there each year for a camping trip up at Twin Lakes and the East Walker river. That is the place where Stefanos dies. Great place for trout fishing and I have been to those rocks where the scene was filmed as well as the courthouse in town. There is also a house that looks very similar to the one Ann lived in BUT I'm not sure that is the house used in the movie.

I never quite understood why he agreed to go back and work for Witt a

second time. The only reason I can think of is that he could be framed

for his former partner's murder, but I don't recall if that was brought up

during that little discussion around the breakfast table. And of course

Witt was going to frame him again for the murder of Eels. I didn't even

think of the Production Code. Yes, it wouldn't fly, but I can still dream.

I was also wondering why Joe wanted to kill Bob at the end. He had the

tax files, so killing him would have done no good, unless they figured he

hid them and no one would know about them.

The Big Steal is a fun movie that really moves along. Sort of a light-hearted

take on Out of the Past.

I remember reading somewhere that Kirk Douglas said that with each passing

day on some movie shoot, maybe Out of the Past, Mitchum's stories would

grow more and more fantastic. But I'll bet Bob had a lot of good true ones from

his days of bumming around the country in his youth.

Yes, there is a town and it off the 395 in CA. I always get a kick when I the town sign at the start of the movie. Looks to be the same sign that is there today but I assume it has been updated since then! The town's population isn't much larger than it was then. Great place in the summer months but often Bridgeport is one of the coldest towns in the west during the winter. All the landmarks mentioned are real places. I'll be going there in August like I have been for the last few decades.