Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sepiatone

Funny Girl: Talk about LIBERTIES!

Believe it or not, the other night was the FIRST TIME I ever saw this movie. I sat through it mostly out of curiosity, as I don't gravitate towards Streisand movies, but also because my WIFE likes it and wanted to see it. Turned out I didn't think it was all that bad.

But as is my want, if I don't know anything or enough about someone, I look it up. I didn't know SQUAT about FANNY BRICE, only that I've seen her in a couple of old movies.

Turns out the movie was 90% fabrication about Brice's life. Her family name WASN'T Brice, as it was painted on the saloon window, she HAD been married before, and met Arenstien sometime AFTER that marriage had disolved, Nicky DIDN'T turn himself in, and spent several years fighting the conviction. They had TWO children, not just the one, and the movie's producer, RAY STARK was Brice's son-in-law, which likely explains the whitewash job on Nicky.

Yeah, I know y'all probably already beat this dead horse into hash, but I just thought I'd put in my two cents, since I've never seen any of the previous discussions.

I now return you all to your current message board, already in progress...

Sepiatone

I don't like Barbra Streisand and I don't like musicals but I am waiting for TCM to show Funny Lady again because there are alotta shots with Streisand looking hot in that one. :D

Can you name even one biopic about any historical person, no matter what realm of life in which they existed, is 100% or even 50% true or accurate?

In "Funny Girl" I always get a kick out of the upswept hairdos on the ladies, which was totally a late-60s trend.

See: Jo Anne Worley on "Laugh-in."

I am the opposite of Flybacktransfor. I LOVE musicals. In fact I have a great collection of movie musicals and still collecting them. I have Broadway show music playing all day in my house and on my ipod. Poor Flyback wouldn't last five minutes in my house without going completely nuts. To each his own.

I think the whitewash job on Nicky was not due to Ray Stark, but due to Nicky himself. He was still alive at the time of the Broadway production (the movie was written by the same person), and the producers supposedly feared a messy defamation lawsuit (Fanny herself sued when 20th Century Fox released Rose of Washington Square, obviously based on her and Nicky, and got an out-of-court settlement.) A similar situation developed in the film Lady Sings the Blues; Louis McKay (Billie Holiday's last husband) was very much alive, as were many other jazz greats (which might explain why none of whom were portrayed in the movie). I don't think lawsuits are feared as much in more recent years. They say Ike Turner showed up during the filming of What's Love Got to Do With It, but no one was fazed...and biopics nowadays are full of depictions of real people.

I don't know why they didn't bother to show the son, or give Fanny's real name. Creative license, maybe?

BLU

From what I read on Wikipedia, bundie, you're correct about Arnstein and why Stark whitewashed their story. And according to the same source, the son, William, was left out due to "mutual agreement."

You're right about THAT, Helen. I'd personally settle for 50%!

I used to be the same way as Transfor about musicals. For years the only ones I could stomach were *West Side Story* and *Damned Yankees* . Over the years, more and more of them have grown on me, although I still don't like many of some of the "well loved" musicals. I suppose it's the music or story in those that have no appeal. Matter of personal taste, I presume.

Sepiatone