Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rarely seen Douglas Sirk, Stanwyck/MacMurray film on Thursday, May 9 at 8!

There's Always Tomorrow, 1956. Dir- Douglas Sirk, st: Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Joan Bennett and Jane Darwell.

*Thursday, MAY 9, AT 8:00 pm*

Just now caught this on the sched, it came up in CBLover2's Sirk thread a month or two back. Should be worth watching.

ps- Maltin gives it two and a half stars, which means it's probably really good. He never fails to underrate the good stuff and overrate the bad.

PS- *BIG THANKS TCM!*

PSS- Isn't Thursday ManksieWanksieBooBoo's stand-in night? Oh well, vive le mute button.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 8, 2013 8:08 PM

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}Thanks for the heads up alert. Looking for a *blank tape* right now. Can't wait till tomorrow night. :)

*Blank tape!?*

Whoa, holy 1989!

ps- it's cool, I'm totally on your side. True film lovers everywhere should invest in a VCR.

> {quote:title=AddisonDeWitless wrote:}{quote}There's Always Tomorrow, 1956. Dir- Douglas Sirk, st: Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Joan Bennett and Jane Darwell.

>

> *Thursday, MAY 9, AT 8:00 pm*

>

>

>

It's going to be shown again in a couple of months as part of an evening-early morning tribute to Sirk. The tribute begins on Wednesday, July 31. "There's Always Tomorrow" is scheduled for 12:15 a.m. Eastern Daylight Time on August 1.

All Stanwyck fans (and there are many) should see this one. It's not one of her greatest movies, but definitely worth watching. And Stanwyck is beautiful in this. It's one of four movies that she made with MacMurray and they are such a believable couple. I can't wait to see it again.

Terrence.

A simple you're welcome would have sufficed. Your nasty comment was not appreciated. My DVD player is broken, and my VCR still works! Short on funds, still paying 3 tuition loans.I have no objection to YOU sending me the money to buy a DVD player! In the meantime with your permission I'll use my VCR.

p.s. I can assure you, your love of classic films is not any greater than mine.

> {quote:title=Terrence1 wrote:}{quote}

> All Stanwyck fans (and there are many) should see this one. It's not one of her greatest movies, but definitely worth watching. And Stanwyck is beautiful in this. It's one of four movies that she made with MacMurray and they are such a believable couple. I can't wait to see it again.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Terrence.

>

Definitely seconded. I already have it in a boxed Stanwyck set, but I'm still looking forward to seeing it tomorrow night. It's got about as conventional a 1950's plot as you can get, but Stanwyck and MacMurray pull it off both believably and beautifully.

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}A simple "you're welcome" would have sufficed. Your *nasty* comment was not appreciated. My DVD player is broken, and my VCR still works! Short on funds, still paying 3 *tuition loans.*.

Well, I certainly hope the tuition loans didn't go to earning a degree in English because you *completely and in every sense misunderstood my reply.*

ps- now *that* reply *was* kind of nasty.

pss- I was being serious, all true film lovers everywhere *should* invest in a VCR, it's the only way to see a lot of rare titles not yet on DVD.

OK. I honestly thought you were being scarcastic. I misunderstood your post, so I'm sorry for that.Your explanation back to me was nasty. What is your problem? There is no excuse for your response. I've been told you are a man. You might want to take a course in how to be a gentleman.

Meanwhile, back at the Sirk ranch. . .

Getting a Stanwyck - MacMurray - Sirk fix will be so sublime.

Thanks for letting us know, Addison. And I may have to plan something for the July date.

I have a lovely flowered frock I will be wearing. I always dress fifties fashion for Sirk.

I was a little disappointed to read up on the film and see that it's in black and white- not that I mind watching a B&W film, but it's Sirk- *so you want your suffering to be in Technicolor.*

Maybe this was kind of a "B" pic for Universal, seeing as how Stanwyck's star had cooled a degree or two since her reign over the forties...still it's surprising since Written on the Wind (from the same year) and Magnificent Obsession (from the year before) had been in the top ten biggest box office performers of the year that they wouldn't do it in color.

Had Addy made that VCR comment to ME, I'd have simply laughed. I get ragged on ALL the time by friends and family who insist I should invest in DVR service through my cable provider. Like THEY do.

These are the SAME family and friends who gripe all the time about how high their cable bill is.

I'll keep my still-working-cheaper-than-a-DVR-VCR, thank you.

Sepiatone

Well I really get laughed at because I have over 400 studio era films on Beta and I still have a working Beta player. I got it from a friend after his father died. His dad would often buy two of everything he loved and store one away. So while it was over 20 years old it was brand new and never opened. Top of the line Sony, and still works great.

I made the tapes back in the 80's. I had flexible job hours so I would tape each one, and pause during the commercials (since this was prior to TCM and it was commercial TV).

BUT I don't watch these tapes much thanks to TCM.

If you offered me a free VCR, I would *hop on that in a heartbeat.* There are GOBS of rare old titles that you can only see on VHS- and it's worth noting that a lot of classic films have been edited and/or changed for their DVD releases while they *were not altered from their theatrical release version* when released on VHS ( Star Wars comes to mind as an immediate example, not that anyone (including me) gives a rat's a** about that one.)

(aaaaand a lot of people on the board kvetch about how their DVRs mess up stuff from TCM by cutting off too soon or coming in too late.)

About the only drawback to a VHS is that the tapes will deteriorate with time...but then, the same thing happens to some (cheaply made) DVDs too.

So no, DeWitless is very pro-VHS. Make no mistake.

PS- Betamax, however, is punchline material.

I guess you've got a harder shell than I do. All I wanted to do was send a thank you to him for the heads up alert on the Stanwyck film. I just wish he had made the post clearer, that it was not a put down that I still use videos. Once he saw that I was insulted, he could have explained his post without that nasty crack.

As far as videos go, I have 100's of them. Family videos that I treasure and 100's of great films that have brought me hours of pleasure. And yes, I worry about the tapes deteriorating, but I'm in no position to have anything converted. I'll stick with my VCR, and I don't have a problem with it either.

I have DVR with my cable co. which is great mostly (and I always set it to add a few minutes at the end because I missed something once--lesson learned.) However, the drawback is that if your cable box goes on the fritz, you lose whatever you have recorded. I had several Gabin films from his SUTS in 2011 that got wiped out and it will be a long time before they're on again, same with some Kurosawa films. I do have tonights movie set to record.

Some advice. If you do DVR, try to watch it asap because stuff happens.