Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Our Very Own

Yes, Ann Dvorak gives a really good performance. This was discussed at this forum before (as in viewing this film makes one say 'why did she drop from view so suddenly)'. The answer being because of run-ins with the studio system. But yea she makes the movie. Of course Ann Blyth looks like million but she is somewhat of a brat (of course why she is, is key to the plot).

And Farley Granger isnt bad to look at either.......

Dvorak left Warners in the late 30s unhappy with the roles she was getting and moved to England (I think she got married) She came back in the later 40s, but played supporting roles.......

Edited by: Hibi on May 9, 2013 2:31 PM

Wow we think alike. When I was done with my post and reviewing it, I said to myself 'for the gals I should also mention that Farley looked very good also', but I decided not to. But yea, both of them were at their best looking in this film. Also, the film has Natalie Wood as a kid full of energy. (almost a female version of Dennis the Mennis!).

I always had a personal animosity for this picture because of the secrecy about the adoption. It's close to home, since I have two adopted kids who always knew they were adopted and never made any kind of issue out of it. We always treated it as a normal thing throughout the world to adopt. Some places do it more, some less. Why it should be secret is beyond me. In fact, when we adopted our kids in England, it was made a condition of their adoption at the agency that they had to grow up knowing about it, that the word should be treated as part of the furniture. As a result, no problems ever. In fact my daughter is now in the process of adopting a teenager, a beautiful girl who's been in foster care and is a delight to everyone.

I once flew with a Filipina woman who asked if I had any children (before our kids came to us). I said no, and she said, "Won't your sisters give you any?" It's perfectly normal for children to be shared in the Philippines. Adoption is also common in Japan, where we lived for several years. I don't know why it should have been considered a disgrace here, at any time.

Isn't the million dollar question: Do the parents that adopted wish their adopted child to form a bond with their bio-parents?

I have known a few parents that adopted and some say yes, and some say no (and the ones that say no say it very strongly). I can understand the reasons for both answers. e.g. if the bio-parents were criminals, drug addicts,,,, But sometimes it just relates to not wanting the child to have two sets of parents.

To me the movie addressed this question very well.

PS: I'm NOT asking you to disclose anything related to the above since I understand it could be sensitive (TMI), but only as it relates to the movie.

Good for you, Dothery. Since there are those here who are cruel enough to take advantage of those who share too much, I won't.

I just want to give you and your daughter kudos for giving a home to a child not born of you. It is a feat more heroic than simply giving birth.

Thank you for sharing.

So do you mind naming if it was Hibi or I that was cruel? If you look at the last sentence of my reply to Dothery, I clearly stated I wasn't asking for any information about her private life but only mentioned the topic since the MOVIE this thread is about (OUR VERY OWN), is about the topic I mentioned.

AGAIN, the title is OUR VERY OWN. And I don't think the producers were thinking about the bio-mom when they came up with this title.

No worries, james. I've shared too much in the past, and have to be careful not to do that anymore.

Kudos to anyone who had a normal upbringing and marriage and progeny.

Sometimes movies that are classically classic and even some surprises like today's movies can bring out stuff in people!

Carry on, my bad! :)

No worries here either. Re-reading my reply to her I might of been a little too direct. When discussing a topic of this nature with someone that is directly involved with the topic, I could of started my reply with 'if you don't mind me asking,,,,,'.

Isn't the million dollar question: Do the parents that adopted wish their adopted child to form a bond with their bio-parents? ...

PS: I'm NOT asking you to disclose anything related to the above since I understand it could be sensitive (TMI), but only as it relates to the movie.

Not at all offended by any questions, James ... I agree that there are people who don't want their children to form bonds with people they find unfit, and I can't quarrel with that. We knew who the parents were of both our children (the law required that they sign the adoption papers, and we signed after them), and none of the parents were objectionable as far as we could tell, so there was never an issue there. I'm not sure what we would have done if there had been. But as I said, it was a very firm condition of their adoption that they had to be aware of it. They also had to be told that they were illegitimate, when they could understand it, even though it might be painful in some cultures to say so. It was assumed they were, anyway, since there aren't that many plane crashes or car accidents to account for all the adoptable babies in the country. The idea was the less secrecy in the first place, the less chance there could be of emotional or actual blackmail later on. They've grown up happy and comfortable with who they are and have no feelings one way or the other about their adoption. (My daughter did get a little ticked off when she discovered that in some parts of Europe they get ten weeks a year vacation, and of course England has the National Health.)

Phillipino culture and Latino culture have a lot in common. My wife is Latino( Mexican), and it was no problem when she "took over" a couple of her sister's kids. Of course, the kids were more or less "raised" by their parents, but my wife spent so much time carting them around and having them stay over that she STILL refers to a couple of nephews as her "sons". And the sisters never seemed to mind. In fact, in our family, the words "Aunt" and "Uncle" are only formalities. EVERYONE has a hand in getting these kids through life.

I suppose Blythe's reaction and behavior in this movie was pretty much spot on for the times, as adoption was harder and more infrequent than today, no "surrogate" parents, in-vitro conception, **** banks, family extentions, illegitamate births and the like. Many kids today have NO idea who their real Fathers or Mothers are, that it seems to be no big deal anymore. And no social stigma attached, either. You couldn't make this movie these days and have it be as emotionally impacted as it probably was in 1949.

Oh, and didn't Natale Wood look a bit like Billy Mumy's sister?

Sepiatone PS: It WASN'T a "do-it-yourself" TV kit. In those days, someone actually came to your house to "install" a television set.

PPS: From what I understand, FARLEY GRANGER would have probably appreciated the praise about his "good looks" from the GUYS in this forum, rather than the ladies! ;)

I suspect this 'sharing of kids' (i.e. helping to care for someone's kids) is more economic than cultural.

My wife is Italian. Her parents and a few of their friends all moved from Italy to Chicago in the late 60s. They all got apartments next to each other. They all helped take care of each others kids as well as the elders. e.g. If one of the wives was able to find work the other wives would babysit,, when the kids came home from school they went to the house that had an adult until their parents got home, etc...

My wife is now in CA and her parents are back in Italy. But this weekend she is talking her CA 'mom' out to Santa Barbara. This women was one of the wives that was part of this circle of friends and their relationship is like mother and daughter (the women has two sons and they all call each other brother and sister).

That's cool, James. My wife got treated to a Mother's Day breakfast this morning by one of her nephews.

In my wife's family, "taking care of the sister's kids" wasn't economics. It was out of DESIRE.

Sepiatone