Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carole Lombard play

brentwin

I am an actress and prodcuer currently working on several projects related to classic cinema and am urgently seeking additional funding for a play and historical discussion about Carole Lombard planned to begin this September in Austin, Texas. My production company did not get a major grant it was counting on and our venue fee is due this week. I need additional funding pledges in order to proceed. We are a project fiscally sponsored by a 501©3 non-profit, so any gifts you make to them on behalf of us will be tax deductible. We could also take sponsorship through advertisement or other means as well. We are not collecting money today, but urgently need pledges we can count on down the line. Your pledges will let me know whether or not to proceed or postpone part or all of this venture.

If you are interested in classic film, Clark Gable and Carole Lombard, WWII, or theater, then I hope you will consider sponsoring us. Please contact me right away with the amount of your pledges or with any questions you have about our production.
*FamousPlayers@yahoo.com*

*Synopsis of play:*

{font:tahoma,sans-serif}Lombard by Michael B. Druxman
As theatre patrons are seated waiting for the show to begin, they are serenaded by Russ Columbo, the crooner who gave Bing Crosby a run for his money until Columbo’s untimely death in 1934 at age 26. Suddenly patrons are asked to join Carole Lombard in singing the national anthem. Patrons are transported to the evening of January 15, 1942. The US has been at war with the Axis powers for exactly 1 month. Miss Lombard has just set a record for selling $2 million worth of war bonds in one day and is anxious to return to Hollywood and her husband Clark Gable.
{font}

{font:tahoma,sans-serif}Throughout the evening, which will be the last of her life, Miss Lombard will discuss with her unique wit the trials and triumphs of a glorious screen career such as her defining roles in screwball comedies and her frustrated attempt to secure the role of Scarlett O’Hara in “Gone with the Wind.” She will also discuss her private life and the colorful characters she encountered along the way: producer Joseph P. Kennedy, the tragic loss of her lover Russ Columbo, and her marriages to stars William Powell and Clark Gable.{font}

{font:tahoma,sans-serif}After the play, the audience will be invited to participate in a discussion of Lombard’s life and the world in which she lived with the actress / prodcuer, playwright / director and other Lombard "experts" and classic film connoseurs. Some guests have actual ties to Carole Lombard.{font}

{font:Tahoma}This play originally opened to strong reviews in Los Angeles on January 16,1942, the 50th anniversary of the death of Lombard.{font}