Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Richard Zanuck

I found the documentary quite interesting. On one track was his career, marriages, relationship to his father, etc. On another track was his propensity for punching people and getting into brawls while drunk. Apparently, compared to him, Frank Sinatra was a downright pacifist.

LOL. I never knew he was such a hothead. I thought overall the docu. was good. I thought it interesting that the word CLEOPATRA was never uttered when they covered the studios financial problems.......I didnt realize he died just a few days after viewing the film. Weird. What did he die of, does anyone know? Heart attack?

I like the fact that he seemed to match( and some might say "surpass") his Father's legacy without being as ego centric as Daryll. I was never fully aware of all the movies he was involved in, and most of them on my list of favorites!

Sepiatone

Thanks for starting this thread.

I fleetingly watched some of it, as I have minimal tolerance for HOLLYWOOD tributes to HOLLYWOOD (esp. since my time there) AND I have to say (and this is just a gut-feeling) that the guy just looked like a self-important jerk to me...I can SO see him throwing a chair at a second assistant who booked him in first class on a flight that only had first and coach, not first class, business class and coach.

When it got to the part on the Dark Shadows remake though I started screaming at the TV: *"WHAT???He produced that???!!! NO. UH-UH. Give the Oscar back, give the Thalberg back, dig him up from Forest Lawn and move the body to Cleveland."*

*I F-ING HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE THAT MOVIE.*

And honestly, in retrospect:

*Good films Zanuck produced:* Jaws, The Sugarland Express, Cocoon, (arguably) Driving Miss Daisy, Big Fish, Sweeney Todd, Compulsion

*Meh* *films Zanuck Produced:* Reign of Fire, Road to Perdition, True Crime, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Rules of Engagement

*Horrible, no good, very-bad (and in some cases career-killing) films Zanuck produced:* Alice in Wonderland (remake), Planet of the Apes (remake), Neighbors (one of the worst films EVER), Cocoon 2, Jaws 2, Deep Impact, Chain Reaction, Wild Bill, Mullholland Falls, Yes Man, Clean Slate, and of course, the aforementioned and deservedly shat-upon Dark Shadows.

so his bad to good ratio is 18:5.

ps- this is all my opinion, of course

pss- never seen The Eiger Sanction

pss- I know making a good film takes a lot of luck too. Sometimes you work like a dog and the souffle doesn't rise, but in the cases of a lot of these- *they are horrible.*

psss- he and the wife also produced some Oscarcasts that were real SNOOZERS.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 12:41 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 12:44 PM

LOL. You are sooooo BAD, Addy! I admit he produced his share of clinkers (including Dark Shadows) but he had a good share of winners too (and I wouldnt want to be on the hitting end of his temper) I noticed no one had a bad thing to say about him (they never do on these type of programs) except to say he used to get in a lot of fights when young............

it's very hard for me to discuss the Burton/Depp Dark Shadows in rational, calm, measured terms. It made me *so angry* because it had such *great potential* and some *good actors who were well-cast* as well as a thoughtful production design that actually didn't eclipse everything else (as is often the case with Burton movies) but *Holy S***!*

You're being nice to call it a "clinker."

It *CLUNKED. IT CLINKED. IT STANK. IT STUNK.*

*Sersely, I'm punching Tim Burton in the face if I ever meet him.*

I enjoyed the documentary. I was prepared to dislike him but ended thinking he was someone who had learned from his mistakes, knew himself well and wasn't afraid to risk failure. I especially liked the fact that the worst thing he could imagine was retirement. Good show, I thought.

and it's worth noting that of Zanuck's duds, some were *really spectacular* though:

Neighbors (possibly) hastened the demise of John Belushi and (at the time recent Oscar-nominee) Cathy Moriarty didn't work for years afterwards (and seriously: have you seen it? it is ONE OF THE *WORST* FILMS EVER.)

Wild Bill cost $30 million and made $2 million- release was delayed (I think?) for *years* while it sat on the shelf (and it hastened the demise of Ellen Barkin's career.)

Jaws 2 began the franchise's descent into film infamy (and it's the most boring of the sequels, at least Jaws 3 and Jaws: The Revenge are entertaingly awful.)

Clean Slate ended Dana Carvey's career and I distinctly recall the critical drubbing Planet of the Apes took when it came out- probably one of the worst reviewed movies of the new millenium.

so I guess, if you're gonna flop: go big.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 3:46 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 3:49 PM

LOL. I didnt expect much from Dark Shadows going in (judging from reviews) so I wasnt that disappointed. I only saw it because nothing else was playing at the time that interested me and I wanted to escape into a movie. (movie had been playing awhile). I wanted a last look at Jonathan Frid too. (if you blinked you missed him......)

Yes, it was *SO INSULTING* to give Frid (and the other original cast members) barely-there, lineless cameos- not even extras really.

yet Christopher Lee gets at least six minutes of screen time and a speaking roll... like he needed another credit to his name.

Seriosuly, don't wind me up on this one, I can go ALL DAY.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 3:55 PM

i did stick around to watch Driving Miss Daisy afterwards, a film I have seen numerous times and a film that- as a southerner- I have to say does capture the south well (although it appears to be a south perpetually bathed in sepia tones and spring-blossoming trees.)

it's also one of those films that deals with subtle changes and occurances in everyday life over a long span of time, which is something I always find compelling when done well.

it's a lovely film and a simple film and a well-acted film, but I get that it's a film that **** people off and- yeah- I *totally* get the irony that it won Best Picture while films that made BOLD, UNMEASURED STATEMENTS about race- Glory and Do the Right Thing! didn't even get nominated.

It's a film that kind of wants to say something but never quite does.

It implies plenty, but what does that get you?

...and Miss Daisy does have a lovely score- which I was shocked to read was done entirely using synthesizers with no orchestra!

ps- equally surprised to have just perused the awards info for the film and discovered the score and the (lovely) cinematography were not even nominated.

oddly enough, Dan Aykroyd was.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 4:10 PM

I didnt watch Daisy last night, but I did see it when it came out and once on TCM. I've always liked it. It's the type of feel good message film the Academy always gravitates to (rather than a film that is more in your face)....I couldnt believe they even considered Liz Taylor in that role (****)........

they like to sometimes invent those "so and so was considered for the role" stories around pre- and post-production to drum up inn-terest for the film.

as per imdb: [Katharine Hepburn|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000031/], [bette Davis|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000012/], [Lucille Ball|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000840/], and [Angela Lansbury|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001450/] all were interested in playing Miss Daisy. Studio executives also considered a [bette Midler|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000541/]/[Eddie Murphy|http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000552/] pairing.

The Midler/Murray story I've heard numerous times. Bette Davis was- at the time- was too ill for me to believe she had a shot or really thought she could do it- she also would've been hard to swallow as a demure southern lady. Hepburn maybe could've done it...maybe...Ball (who also died in 1989 if I recall correctly) and Lansbury would've been wrong for the role (although it's worth noting that Lansbury is actually currrently (?) appearing in Driving Miss Daisy on Broadway with James Earl Jones as Hoke- sounds like a double miscast to me, but whaddo I know?)

It's hard to imagine anyone but Jessica Tandy in the role, and it's nice that she was able to parlay her Oscar win into a nice little run of films thereafter, wherein she earned another nomination for Fried Green Tomatoes and really should have gotten a third nod for Nobody's Fool.

It's also also worth noting that the unnominated Bruce Beresford who directed Miss Daisy- the first film without a director nod to win Best Picture since Grand Hotel- went on to do some TURKEYS afterwards: among them Last Dance, Silent Fall, A Good Man in Africa, Paradise Road, and the successful but critically despised Double Jeopardy.

He also directed an Oscar-winning performance from Robert Duvall in Tender Mercies.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 5:47 PM

BETTE MIDLER??? ****! I cant believe that one. Way too young for one. Davis would've been great had she been a bit younger. I doubt she had the capacity at that point with all her health problems.........

Hepburn with that accent? I think not.

Lansbury was pitched the role as a tv series, but turned it down. Are you thinking of Vanessa Redgrave on Broadway? That was last season or a few seasons back?

Didnt Beresford direct Jane Fonda's last movie that bombed? (I cant remember) I wanted to see it, but it never played locally.........

Yeah, those 3 were responsible for him getting the sack. But they could possibly have already been in the pipeline before he was at the helm (I dont know).........

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}But Zanuck's biggest duds were the money-losing musicals of the late '60s which got him fired from his position at Fox---DOCTOR DOOLITTLE, STAR!, HELLO DOLLY, etc.

I don't think he produced those though, at least *he had no producer credits on imdb for them*. Maybe he was in charge of production when Fox released those (more or less the same thing, I guess.)

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}BETTE MIDLER??? ****! I cant believe that one. Way too young for one. ....

>

> *Lansbury was pitched the role as a tv series,* but turned it down. Are you thinking of Vanessa Redgrave on Broadway? That was last season or a few seasons back?

>

>

>

>

>

> Didnt Beresford direct Jane Fonda's last movie that bombed? (I cant remember) I wanted to see it, but it never played locally.........

>

I think the Midler/Murphy idea was born when the script was pitched to Disney. And have you seen the end of For the Boys ? They hagged her out quite convincingly in that one.

Lansbury was pitched the role as a TV series? Where'd you hear that? Again, kinda' a head scratcher as she was right in the middle of Murder She Wrote's 13-season run and had a contract with Universal when it woulda' been pitched her way. I kind of feel like she might've been too associated with Murder... for her to click with audiences in such a different part; I also have to say I think she is too physically imposing (5'11) to make it work.- but that's maybe a quibble.

*I know I read somewhere* that Lansbury and James Earl Jones were doing the play on B-way or off b-way in 2013, maybe it had a limited run (they're both in their 80s; and I know Lansbury was recently on b-way in the revival of The Best Man in 2012), but *I know* I read it- on gawker.com maybe?- because I remember scratching me head at the casting while thinking "good for them!"

I don't think Beresford has ever worked with Fonda- and actually, Jane has been in some pretty good-sized hits since ending her self-imposed retirement with Monster-in-Law. She's playing Nancy Reagan next in the Oprah-starring film The Butler directed by the dude who did Precious.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 7:05 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 9, 2013 7:07 PM