Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS 2013 Lineup

TopBilled

Several of the usual suspects/repeats; friends of TCM; and a few character actors.

1..HUMPHREY BOGART

2..DORIS DAY

3..ALEC GUINNESS

4..MARY BOLAND

5..CHARLTON HESTON

6..JOAN FONTAINE

7..FRED MACMURRAY

8..RAMON NOVARRO

9..STEVE MCQUEEN

10..LANA TURNER

11..HENRY FONDA

12..CATHERINE DENEUVE

13..MICKEY ROONEY

14..BETTE DAVIS

15..GREGORY PECK

16..ANN BLYTH

17..WALLACE BEERY

18..NATALIE WOOD

19..RANDOLPH SCOTT

20..HATTIE MCDANIEL

21..WILLIAM HOLDEN

22.MAGGIE SMITH

23..ELIZABETH TAYLOR

24..CHARLES COBURN

25..CLARK GABLE

26..JEANNE CRAIN

27..MARTIN BALSAM

28..SHIRLEY JONES

29..GLENDA FARRELL

30..KIRK DOUGLAS

31..REX HARRISON

If you would like to see which artists were featured in the past, check out this link for a complete listing:

http://summerunderthestars.wordpress.com/

Edited by: TopBilled on May 11, 2013 9:45 AM

>TCM must be running out of stars

What is obviously happening is that marketing is driving SUTS. It is easy to plaster Liz Taylor's image everywhere or Mickey Rooney's image everywhere, because they are instantly recognizable faces. And if NATIONAL VELVET gets increased airtime, then it can hook in younger viewers-- that demographic the Channel seems to be leaning towards more and more.

But to be fair, there is a diverse mix of artists. Again, we have the TCM SUTS formula at work: a European import (Deneuve); a silent star (Novarro); a child star (Wood); a precode star or two (Boland, Farrell, etc.); a western star (Scott); some Brits (Guinness, Smith, Harrison, etc.); a post-code star or two (Balsam & McQueen); and an African American (McDaniel), along with the usual starlets and leading men.

They seem to show some of the stars day after day, so why devote a day to them in the summer when all year long, their films are shown?

How about showing some films of stars that aren't shown too often, if ever:

William Lundigan

Dana Andrews

Vic Morrow

Vincent Price

Yul Brynner

Aldo Ray

Lee J. Cobb

Ernest Borgnine

Walter Pigeon

Brian Aherne

Richard Basehart

Joseph Cotten

Louis Jordan

Earl Holliman

Alexis Smith

Joanne Woodward

Doug McClure

Clu Gallager

Strother Martin

Jo Van Fleet

Lou Ayers

People like Bogart, Taylor, Davis, Rooney, Holden, Gable, Douglas, Fonda, Peck, etc...they are shown countless times over and over again. If anything, why not have Brando as a Star of the Month? I think they only had him 1 time. Odd for someone that's called the "greatest actor"

Regarding the ones on your list, I think that Alexis Smith would be the easiest one for them to do, because many/all of her Warner Brothers films are in the Turner Library. Louis Jourdan would be do-able, because he had hits with Selznick and later with MGM. Aldo Ray's career was mostly at Columbia, and that's a possibility, because TCM does seem to have access to Sony's library. Doug McClure was at Universal for most of his film career, so he would be a very unlikely candidate for SUTS. If you noticed, there is very little representation of Paramount and Universal stars.

Thank you TopBilled (I really like your name - very creative). I wish TCM would expand their library. People will get very bored with the same old films and showcasing their favorite actors/actresses all the time. I enjoy classic films, but more variety is needed, and I'd love to see films with stars that I'm not as familiar with and films that I've never seen before. Sometimes, a lesser known film, can become one of your favorites.

>Sometimes, a lesser known film, can become one of your favorites.

Exactly. And I think that's the purpose of Illeana Douglas hosting the 'Second Look' series. She is drawing attention to films and artists that may have slipped under the radar.

Thanks for the comment about my screen name. I like yours, too!

> {quote:title=Mythoughts wrote:}{quote}They seem to show some of the stars day after day, so why devote a day to them in the summer when all year long, their films are shown?

>

> How about showing some films of stars that aren't shown too often, if ever:

>

> William Lundigan

> Dana Andrews

> Vic Morrow

> Vincent Price

> Yul Brynner

> Aldo Ray

> Lee J. Cobb

> Ernest Borgnine

> Walter Pigeon

> Brian Aherne

> Richard Basehart

> Joseph Cotten

> Louis Jordan

> Earl Holliman

> Alexis Smith

> Joanne Woodward

> Doug McClure

> Clu Gallager

> Strother Martin

> Jo Van Fleet

> Lou Ayers

>

> People like Bogart, Taylor, Davis, Rooney, Holden, Gable, Douglas, Fonda, Peck, etc...they are shown countless times over and over again. If anything, why not have Brando as a Star of the Month? I think they only had him 1 time. Odd for someone that's called the "greatest actor"

>

I completely agree with this perspective, although I could live without Brando. It's nice to see Catherine Deneuve and Wallace Beery up there, and also Mary Boland and Joan Fontaine, but Liz Taylor, Gregory Peck, Charlton Heston, and *DORIS DAY AND MICKEY ROONEY* ? Lord help us. What's next, the complete TV sermons of Bishop Fulton J. Sheen?

IMO the deal should be this: Give 31 Days of Oscar to the AFI 100 crowd, and let them pig out all they want on movies that most people here have seen by the time they were 25. We can shovel our walks and prepare for March Madness, with no complaints. They can even show every Rooney / Garland schmaltzfest in a 7-day endless loop, and we'll just bite our tongues and chant *OOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM.*

But August should be reserved as the one month where us hardcore fans of the Less Obvious get to have our way. Bring in the foreign stars, the silent stars, and lots and lots of the bigger name stars' "lesser" movies. Bring in many Glenda Farrells and more than a few Wallace Beerys, and 24 hours of Ozu and a day of Eric Rohmer, along with Richard Barthelmess and Louis Calhern. In return, you can run an entire month of Liz Taylor and Mickey Rooney in September, with some local Hollywood character brought in to do seances with Liz to pump up the ratings. We're very reasonable in our polite requests.

Well. . . .the thing is. . . .when you have a character actor as a featured star, you're going to get the same movies you get with all the stars you are tired of, because they were the ones playing the supporting roles. For instance, Hattie McDaniel's roles were often as maids to the retread stars. And Glenda Farrell was the sassy, no-nonsense girl friend of the lead retread actress.

Yes there are a lot of the same perfomers this time, however if TCM could get their hands on : The Macomber Affair and 12 O' Clock High and The Gunfighter for Peck, Woman's World or Singapore for Freddie Mac, Staircase and Night Train to Munich or Blythe Spirit for Sexy Rexy, S.O.B. and Fedora {PLEASE} and Breezy or Bridges at Toko-Ri for Golden Holden, Planet of the Apes and Khartoum and Bad For Each Other for Chuckles Heston, and maybe The Users {what a hoot that would be} and Kiss The Blood Off My Hands and This Above All for Joanie {I hate my sister} Fontaine, then it would be a rousing SUTS. This line-up may look predictable, but it has potential if TCM can pull off a few coups.

***Spoiler follows...

>Hattie McDaniel's roles were often as maids to the retread stars. And Glenda Farrell was the sassy, no-nonsense girl friend of the lead retread actress.

I don't want to steal calvin's thunder, but I am going to give away two of the schedules (leaving the other 29 to calvin's upcoming post). I am going to share Hattie's Day and Glenda's Day, so we can look at whether or not these films have other retread stars in them. Are you ready? Here goes:

_AUGUST 20TH: HATTIE MCDANIEL_

10-mcdaniel.jpg

6:00 a.m. Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943)

8:15 a.m. Janie (1944)

10:00 a.m. Janie Gets Married (1946)

11:30 a.m. The Shopworn Angel (1938)

1:00 p.m. The Mad Miss Manton (1935)

2:30 p.m. The Great Lie (1941)

4:30 p.m. George Washington Slept Here (1942)

6:15 a.m. Saratoga (1937)

8:00 p.m. Gone with the Wind (1939)

12:00 a.m. Show Boat (1936)

2:00 a.m. Alice Adams (1935

4:00 a.m. In This Our Life (1942)

_AUGUST 29TH: GLENDA FARRELL_

1gf.png

6:00 a.m. Little Caesar (1931)

7:30 a.m. I've Got Your Number (1934)

9:00 a.m. The Personality Kid (1934)

10:15 a.m. Kansas City Princess (1934)

11:30 a.m. Snowed Under (1936)

12:45 p.m. Flyaway Baby (1937)

2:00 p.m. Torchy Blane, the Adventurous Blonde (1937)

3:15 p.m. Blondes at Work (1938)

4:30 p.m. Torchy Gets Her Man (1938)

5:45 p.m. Torchy Blane in Chinatown (1939)

6:45 p.m. Torchy Runs for Mayor (1939)

8:00 p.m. Smart Blonde (1937)

9:15 p.m. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

10:45 p.m. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

12:30 a.m. Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935)

2:15 a.m. Gold Diggers of 1937 (1936)

I was hoping TCM would show many Farrell movies where she was the lead female star and I see that they did. Look forward to that day (when I see her I'm impressed but I admit my knowledge of her films is weak).

As for McDaniels; Really nothing special there and a lot of retreads. So the 'issues' raised by the other poster with a choice like McDaniels are confirmed by her line-up but not with the Farrell line-up.

i.e. there really is no theme with McDaniel's line-up of movies other than that she is in them (but in most cases only on screen around 2% of the time).

> {quote:title=slaytonf wrote:}{quote}Well. . . .the thing is. . . .when you have a character actor as a featured star, you're going to get the same movies you get with all the stars you are tired of, because they were the ones playing the supporting roles. For instance, Hattie McDaniel's roles were often as maids to the retread stars. And Glenda Farrell was the sassy, no-nonsense girl friend of the lead retread actress.

I see your point, but it doesn't have to be a problem if they go beyond the AFI 100 mentality. The problem with most of the retread stars is that they so often keep recycling their same old films.

Glenda Farrell was in 73 feature films, and very few of them are TCM staples. You could easily program 24 hours of her films that haven't been shown more than once every few years.

And BTW who's the "lead retread actress" you're referring to? Farrell plays sassy, no-nonsense companion characters to just about everyone. The only actress who played with her more than a few times was Joan Blondell, and even if you consider her a "retread" (which I think few of us would), that still leaves well over 60 Farrell films to choose among.

My sense of McDaniel is that there's no way to get around the fact that she never played anything but supporting roles. Personally I'd much rather see SUTS days featuring actors like Juano Hernandez or Woody Strode, two definite non-"retreads", whose roles also had the virtue of being far more varied and interesting. Nothing against McDaniel per se, but it's very unlikely with her that we're going to be seeing anything we haven't seen a hundred times before.

> there really is no theme with McDaniel's line-up of movies other than that she is in them (but in most cases only on screen around 2% of the time).

I would have to agree. In JANIE GETS MARRIED, she has barely five minutes of screen time, only two scenes. She is tenth-billed.

I am glad TCM has decided to honor her with a tribute...she certainly deserves it. Though I think some films where she has considerably more involvement in the story would have been better selections. These are films that have aired on TCM, like THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON, SINCE YOU WENT AWAY, MARYLAND and her final feature, THE BIG WHEEL. If the Channel is choosing to celebrate her classic motion picture contributions and legacy, then really the best films should be broadcast.

In many ways Blondell is a retread since she was in so many WB movies that TCM likes to show often. For example, when Blondell had her day for SUTS if one just viewed the movies without knowing the theme one would think it was James Cagney day.

I agree that Farrell was not just a secondary player in her early years (but a major WB star), and many of the Farrell movies TMC is showing are from that period.