Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SUMMER UNDER THE STARS 2013 Lineup

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}In many ways Blondell is a retread since she was in so many movies WB movies that TCM likes to show often. For example, when Blondell had her day for SUTS if one just viewed the movies without knowing the theme one would think it as James Cagney day.

>

This is true, but (1) it certainly didn't have to be that way, since Blondell was in 95 feature films, and (2) even most of those Cagney movies were titles that aren't all that frequently shown on TCM, certainly not as often as NBNW or Splendor in the Grass or all those Judy Garland / Mickey Rooney pairings.

Of course after having just injected myself with truth serum, I have to admit that I could watch both Farrell and / or Blondell all week without tiring of them, whereas my Mickey Rooney or Liz Taylor enjoyment quota is used up with the ending of the opening title credits. (I love Garland as long as Rooney's not around to ruin the picture.)

I agree with you Andy, but I have seen fans of a star complain when they see the line up of films with comments like 'how could TCM NOT show XYZ film,,, that is one of the key films of their career!'.

Of course these 'key films' are often the ones TCM shows often since they are popular well known films. Bottom line; being the programmer is a no win proposition!

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}***Spoiler follows...

>

>

>

> > Hattie McDaniel's roles were often as maids to the retread stars. And Glenda Farrell was the sassy, no-nonsense girl friend of the lead retread actress.I don't want to steal calvin's thunder, but I am going to give away two of the schedules (leaving the other 29 to calvin's upcoming post). I am going to share Hattie's Day and Glenda's Day, so we can look at whether or not these films have other retread stars in them. Are you ready? Here goes:

>

>

> AUGUST 20TH: HATTIE MCDANIEL

> 10-mcdaniel.jpg

> 6:00 a.m. Thank Your Lucky Stars (1943)

> 8:15 a.m. Janie (1944)

> 10:00 a.m. Janie Gets Married (1946)

> 11:30 a.m. The Shopworn Angel (1938)

> 1:00 p.m. The Mad Miss Manton (1935)

> 2:30 p.m. The Great Lie (1941)

> 4:30 p.m. George Washington Slept Here (1942)

> 6:15 a.m. Saratoga (1937)

> 8:00 p.m. Gone with the Wind (1939)

> 12:00 a.m. Show Boat (1936)

> 2:00 a.m. Alice Adams (1935

> 4:00 a.m. In This Our Life (1942)

>

>

>

> AUGUST 29TH: GLENDA FARRELL

> 1gf.png

> 6:00 a.m. Little Caesar (1931)

> 7:30 a.m. I've Got Your Number (1934)

> 9:00 a.m. The Personality Kid (1934)

> 10:15 a.m. Kansas City Princess (1934)

> 11:30 a.m. Snowed Under (1936)

> 12:45 p.m. Flyaway Baby (1937)

> 2:00 p.m. Torchy Blane, the Adventurous Blonde (1937)

> 3:15 p.m. Blondes at Work (1938)

> 4:30 p.m. Torchy Gets Her Man (1938)

> 5:45 p.m. Torchy Blane in Chinatown (1939)

> 6:45 p.m. Torchy Runs for Mayor (1939)

> 8:00 p.m. Smart Blonde (1937)

> 9:15 p.m. Mystery of the Wax Museum (1933)

> 10:45 p.m. I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)

> 12:30 a.m. Gold Diggers of 1935 (1935)

> 2:15 a.m. Gold Diggers of 1937 (1936)

Thanks for giving me Hattie's day...she was going to cause trouble because of her supporting status. Didn't you find anything after Gold Diggers of 37 for Glenda? That's the one that's got me stumped. That movie is too short to be the last entry of Glenda's day.

Well, my first reaction to the list was a letdown (I'd really been aching for a Sylvia Sidney day . . . yeah, yeah, I know, Paramount . . .). But it looks like there are at least a few treats in the mix for some of the "retread" names: Beat the Devil for Bogart, The Macomber Affair for Peck, etc.

I get Charles Coburn for my birthday this year. :)

And I was so pleasantly surprised to see Men Are Not Gods scheduled on Rexy's tribute. I've wanted to see that one for a while.

Glenda's day could've been better, but hey, I am happy to see her get some well-deserved attention.

Andy, I fully support your proposal. I will never again complain about Oscar month if SUTS can lay off the Mickey Rooneys! :^0

Thank you so much for the heads-up, TopBilled, and thank you in advance to Calvin, who I'm sure is hard-at-work as we type.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I couldn't find anything for Glenda after GOLD DIGGERS 37.

>

> The day that has been the hardest for me is Ramon Novarro. I have still have a few gaps for him.

I've got Ramon Novarro day's full. In fact I'm almost done. Should be ready to post in under an hour.

Great!

I found the titles I was missing for Novarro. His name is spelled two different ways in the TCM database. One with the accent, and one without. He has two different sets of credits as a result.

While doing the schedule - which is now posted - I noticed "Sweet Music" (1935), which was scheduled for Ann Dvorak's day during SUTS 2011, is making a return appearance in June.

Let's hope that this time it is minus Alice White and Ned Sparks talking in one another's voice and minus the guys in the orange parachutes. If you saw this catastrophe two years ago you know what I'm talking about.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> I agree with you Andy, but I have seen fans of a star complain when they see the line up of films with comments like 'how could TCM NOT show XYZ film,,, that is one of the key films of their career!'.

>

> Of course these 'key films' are often the ones TCM shows often since they are popular well known films. Bottom line; being the programmer is a no win proposition!

>

You have to realize that when I voice these complaints, which I've done many times and will continue to do, I'm voicing them "within the family", if you know what I mean. Trust me, I know that the TCM programmers have the impossible task of trying to please different groups of people who often have diametrically opposing ideas as to what should be shown here. I even realize that there are some, even many benighted souls who actually like (gasp!) to watch 24 hours of Mickey Rooney or Doris Day. They may be *clinically insane* in their weird tastes ;) , but they "own" TCM every bit as much as us "sane" folks do, and whenever I'm talking about TCM "outside the family", you'd think I was Bogey talking about Bacall.

And having just received my June Now Playing, I can safely say that the goodies from that month alone will easily help me survive the August dog days of Doris and Charlton and Liz and Gregory and even (though barely, just barely) Mickey Rooney. So I'm now officially out of my funk and back in the fold. Until next time.

Well AndyM, call me certifiable because I love Rooney,( with or without Judy) !

I completely understand all the points of view re retreads. TCM could stand a little more variety and lesser viewed films.

I love all the usual suspects of Old Hollywood but will probably not even watch many of these unless I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for certain ones. I'm most interested in MacMurray, Novarro, Deneuve, Maggie Smith, Rex (b/c I've really only seen a small sampling of his movies) and Shirley Jones. I know Jones probably made more average films but she has starred in some of the best musicals and she was Oscar worthy enough in Gantry.

I know it's likely a 20th Century/Fox issue but I would love to have a day for Don Ameche. Ditto for John Payne and John Carradine (no shortage of films for him). I'd settle for these films on the birthdays.

Is this a good idea....how about a day or two for some character actors? Depending on how many actors they want to show you could have 2-3 films each for the likes of Allen Jenkins, James Gleason, Cuddles, Flora Robson, Beulah Bondi, Edward Everrett Horton and others.

I loved somone's previous suggestion of a SUTS for Woody Strode and Juano Hernandez.

>This is the BEST SUTS line-up I can remember. Ramon Navarro, Hattie McDaniel, Maggie Smith, and I actually said "oh yay!" out loud when I saw Mary Boland's name.

I am looking forward to Boland's day, too. Glad it's at the beginning of the month..!

000aaaaaaaaboland-1.jpg

>I am also looking forward to Catherine Deneuve (the designated foreign star), and Rex Harrison.

I don't like how they have scheduled some of Rex Harrison's films. I think THE FOXES OF HARROW should have a primetime slot, not thrown into the early morning hours. Considering how many times TCM will have aired ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM already this year, I think the time slots for these two titles should be switched.

Topbilled, since Rex' day is a Saturday, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM is the Essential repeat for that week. Here on the West Coast, THE FOXES OF HARROW is on at 9 PM, and it makes sense that it and the one prior, ESCAPE, are two of his 20th Century Fox titles, combined with AATKOS for a block of Fox movies that evening.

Thanks for posting the list of stars. Of course we'll grumble about the retread stars and/or movies, but there are choices I'm excited about, especially Deneuve, and the token Fox stars, Charles Farrell and Jeanne Crain; I just hope they feature many of their Fox movies, and not focus mostly on their post-Fox filmography.

>Topbilled, since Rex' day is a Saturday, ANNA AND THE KING OF SIAM is the Essential repeat for that week. Here on the West Coast, THE FOXES OF HARROW is on at 9 PM, and it makes sense that it and the one prior, ESCAPE, are two of his 20th Century Fox titles, combined with AATKOS for a block of Fox movies that evening.

Yes, you're right, Arturo. I forgot about Saturday Essentials. I am glad that THE FOXES OF HARROW is finally showing up on TCM. They should schedule it again on another night with JEZEBEL and GONE WITH THE WIND.

>I'm even tolerating yet another broadcast of THE WOMEN since it's connected to a Boland day.

Well, we knew they had to squeeze THE WOMEN into the lineup somewhere! And SEVEN DAYS IN MAY. That one is featured nearly every year.