Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Create your own SUTS Lineup

I posted these choices on a SUTS thread back on February 21. Maggie Smith was the only one I got right! :D

*1. Sylvia Sidney:*{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} {font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}City Streets, An American Tragedy, Blood on the Sun

*2. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr.:*{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif} Scarlet Dawn, The Exile, That Lady in Ermine

*3. Elsa Lanchester:* The Ghost Goes West, Son of Fury, The Glass Slipper

*4. Walter Huston:* Kongo, The Devil and Daniel Webster, And Then There Were None

*5. Simone Signoret:* Casque d'Or, Therese Raquin, Room at the Top

*6. Robert Morley:* Beat the Devil, The Doctor's Dilemma, Who Is Killing the Great Chefs of Europe?

*7. Frances Dee:* Blood Money, Becky Sharp, If I Were King, The Private Affairs of Bel Ami

*8. Frank Morgan:* The Kiss Before the Mirror, The Affairs of Cellini, The Good Fairy

*9. Jan Sterling:* Mystery Street, The Mating Season, Ace in the Hole

*10. Eugene Palette:* The Three Musketeers (1921), Friends of Mr. Sweeney, The Male Animal

*11. Billie Burke:* A Bill of Divorcement, The Young in Heart, The Cheaters

*12. Fredric March:* The Royal Family of Broadway, My Sin, Tonight Is Ours

*13. Nancy Carroll:* The Devil's Holiday, Broken Lullaby, Child of Manhattan

*14. Ray Milland:* Kitty, So Evil My Love, Alias Nick Beal

*15. Margaret Lindsay*: Cavalcade, Bordertown, The House of the Seven Gables

*16. Charles Boyer:* Tovarich, Cluny Brown, A Woman's Vengeance, The 13th Letter

*17. Joan Bennett:* Bulldog Drummond (1929), Trade Winds, The Macomber Affair

*18. William Powell:* Beau Geste (1926), The Baroness and the Butler, The Senator Was Indiscreet

*19. Anna May Wong:* The Thief of Bagdad (1924), Peter Pan (1924), Shanghai Express

*20. Paul Lukas:* Downstairs, Grand Slam, Dodsworth

*21. Janet Gaynor:* 7th Heaven, Street Angel, Ladies in Love

*22. Don Ameche:* Midnight, The Story of Alexander Graham Bell, Heaven Can Wait

*23. Vera Miles*: A Touch of Larceny, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

*24. Vincent Price*: A Royal Scandal, Champagne for Caesar, His Kind of Woman

*25. Alice Faye*: Poor Little Rich Girl, Tin Pan Alley, Fallen Angel

*26. Thomas Gomez:* Phantom Lady, Ride the Pink Horse, Force of Evil

*27. Fay Wray:* The Wedding March, The Unholy Garden, The Clairvoyant

*28. Richard Conte:* House of Strangers, Thieves' Highway, The Big Combo

*29. Glynis Johns:* State Secret, No Highway in the Sky, The Magic Box

*30. Lee Tracy:* Blessed Event, The Half-Naked Truth, Bombshell

*31. Maggie Smith:* Murder by Death, California Suite, Gosford Park

{font}{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}I tried to include some variety, but this line-up is admittedly indulgent on my part. {font}Of course, this is just a dream list, and I do understand that TCM can't get its hands on everything I want to see or please all the people all the time. That said, I *am* sort of obsessed with this Sylvia Sidney thing . . .

Very interesting choices, NC34 (I always think of NC-17 x 2 when I type your screen name). We all have our own favorites. I composed my own list, and I must say that none of your choices are on my list. Though I do like some of your selections very much, especially Miss Sidney.

Now, the question is, can you take each star and make a daily schedule for each one? It doesn't have to be complicated and include specific start and stop times for each movie, but can you come up with maybe ten to twelve titles for each artist that you recommend others see? You've mentioned some, but can you fill up whole days of programming for each artist? It would be interesting to see what you come up with, and how many titles are in the Turner Library (MGM, UA, Monogram, RKO, WB, Selznick International) or a part of Sony classics (Columbia), which TCM seems to air without much problem.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}Very interesting choices, NC34 (I always think of NC-17 x 2 when I type your screen name).

:^0 Ha! I can't say I ever thought of it that way before! Obviously, it's simply the name of my favorite "lanky brunette with a wicked jaw" and the year of her first screen appearance. You can just call me "Nora" if you prefer.

Like I said, I wasn't necessarily striving for achievability with my choices. The thing is sooo many of my longtime wish-to-sees fall under that Paramount/Universal canopy. Nancy Carroll for one would be impossible without access to a substantial number of Universal-owned titles (although TCM did play Broken Lullaby and The Kiss Before the Mirror once upon a time). A number of my choices could be filled in with more readily-obtained titles, though. You can play Anna Karenina and Executive Suite for Fredric March, Gaslight and Conquest for Boyer. And I do believe some of the character players are certainly feasible - it's just a matter of how interesting their days would end up. If I'm feeling ambitious, I'll try fleshing it out a bit, but please keep in mind that I sadly don't possess your level of expertise. I'm just a rank (albeit enthusiastic) amateur when it comes to cinematic knowledge.

But who made your list? Do tell . . .

I am eager to see how the days for each of your selections will turn out, Nora. Looking forward to reading your future posts!

For my list, I figured I had to be consistent. If there was someone I raved about often this past year or went so far as to create a special group of posts for them, then I figured they were important enough to me to list. Occasionally, I would comment on someone else's thread and say yeah, so-and-so would be perfect for a SUTS tribute. And though some of them are not necessarily great stage-trained performers, they are film stars I happen to like and who mean something to me.

I picked 41 instead of 31 and the reason will become quite clear. When June 21st rolls around-- the first official day of summer, I am going to blog TopBilled's Summer Under the Stars. I will do 41 days (ten days in June and all 31 days in July) leading up to TCM's event on August 1st. Okay, here are my selections:

1. ALEXIS SMITH

2. STERLING HAYDEN

3. MARGARET LINDSAY

4. FRANCHOT TONE

5. VIRGINIA WEIDLER

6. PAUL MUNI

7. DOROTHY MALONE

8. JIM HUTTON

9. SIMONE SIGNORET

10. WALTER HUSTON

11. JOAN BENNETT

12. JOHN BARRYMORE

13. LENA HORNE

14. BURGESS MEREDITH

15. ANNE BAXTER

16. KENT SMITH

17. GLORIA DE HAVEN

18. TIM HOLT

19. SPRING BYINGTON

20. DAN DURYEA

21. YVONNE DE CARLO

22. JACK OAKIE

23. RUTH ROMAN

24. JOHN PAYNE

25. CAROLE LANDIS

26. ROBERT CUMMINGS

27. SALLY FIELD

28. KEIR DULLEA

29. ANN SHERIDAN

30. MACDONALD CAREY

31. MARTHA RAYE

32. ROD TAYLOR

33. ANNE SHIRLEY

34. DESI ARNAZ

35. MARY ASTOR

36. CLAUDE RAINS

37. JULIE LONDON

38. GENE RAYMOND

39. ANN SOTHERN

40. GEORGE ARLISS

41. EVELYN KEYES

I guess we both selected Joan Bennett!

I love some of the "obvious" SUTS choices because there are films and actors I can watch over and over, but I tried not to overload my list with them, especially since I include a lot of character actors I adore, who were featured in a lot of the "obvious" actors films:

1. Jack Carson – because behind the genial buffoonery is a genuinely interesting actor

2. Tyrone Power – because he’s purty and I like to look at him

3. Ginger Rogers – because there’s never enough Ginger in the world

4. Claude Rains – because I love him from his magnificent hairline on down to his adorable speech impediment

5. Christopher Lee – because that would make my husband happy and he would actually watch TCM with me that day (Or maybe I should make that Ingrid Pitt, that would guarantee his attention)

6. Paulette Goddard – because she’s smart and sassy and we never get to see her enough

7. Ida Lupino – because she’s also smart but often sad and you could get lost in those eyes

8. Joseph Schildkraut – because I didn’t know he was a **** in the silent era

9. Joseph Schildkraut day two – because he was an amazing character actor

10. Danny Kaye – because he makes me laugh

11. Robert Mitchum – because—well—why wouldn’t you?

12. Joan Greenwood – because I would love to spend a full day listening to her adorably throaty voice

13. Carmen Miranda – because she’s a complete original

14. Charles Boyer – because he defines the word “smolder”

15. Irene Dunne – because she’s the kind of actress you would have wanted for a friend

16. Philip Dorn – because he has a marvelously warm, quiet sexiness that I do not feel has been properly celebrated

17. Yul Brynner – because gah! Hot!

18. Angela Lansbury – because she was quite a dish

19. Agnes Moorehead – because she is Agnes Moorehead and nobody else ever came close

20. Claire Trevor – because she ought to always be remembered as one of the greats

21. Martita Hunt – because she’s an absolute kick in everything she ever did

22. Edna Mae Oliver – ditto

23. Gladys Cooper – double ditto

24. Jessie Royce Landis – her, too

25. Lucile Watson – for her diction alone, if for no other reason

26. Louis Calhern – because now that I’m older, I get why Ingrid Bergman said he was handsome in Notorious

27. Charles Bickford – because I love his booming, stage-y voice

28. Gilbert Roland – because he was a survivor

29. Henry Daniell – because he was one of the best villains ever

30. Lillian Gish – because there are too many of her films I haven’t seen

31. Bette Davis – because she’s my favorite, no matter how many billions of times I’ve seen her films

>Paulette Goddard ? because she?s smart and sassy and we never get to see her enough

Agree. TCM did feature her not long ago for SUTS, but just one or two of her Paramount titles were included.

I like the idea of including Carmen Miranda. She does have a limited filmography, but I think there's enough for a whole day-- not enough to be a Star of the Month.

I also selected the wonderful, super fabulous Claude Rains. That voice!

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:

>

> Agree. TCM did feature her not long ago for SUTS, but just one or two of her Paramount titles were included.

>

>

> I like the idea of including Carmen Miranda. She does have a limited filmography, but I think there's enough for a whole day-- not enough to be a Star of the Month.

>

>

> I also selected the wonderful, super fabulous Claude Rains. That voice!

>

> }{quote}

I feel like we don't get to see much of Paulette during the year. Claude Rains never wears out his welcome, as far as I'm concerned.

When Paulette does show up, it's usually in a Charlie Chaplin film. That's the extent of it. She was a bonafide star and she made some really fun films at Paramount.

http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/4415/Unconquered/

I love UNCONQUERED, and I also like a later film she did at Columbia-- the first cinematic version of ANNA LUCASTA. She is simply heartbreaking in that one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041125/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}When Paulette does show up, it's usually in a Charlie Chaplin film. That's the extent of it. She was a bonafide star and she made some really fun films at Paramount.

>

> http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/4415/Unconquered/

>

> I love UNCONQUERED, and I also like a later film she did at Columbia-- the first cinematic version of ANNA LUCASTA. She is simply heartbreaking in that one.

>

> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041125/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

See, I haven't seen that one and I need to! I have a lot of old fan magazines and she was on *so many* covers so it seems her star has faded unfairly.

I tend to think the Duke is better saved for a month-long tribute. One day simply cannot do justice where he's concerned. He has such a lengthy filmography, such an expansive and influential career-- that selecting just 24 hours of films would not seem fair at all.

My SUTS Lineup would look like this:

1. George Brent

2. Richard Conte

3. Dana Andrews

4. Bette Davis

5. William Holden

6. Paul Newman

7. Patricia Neal

8. Jimmy Stewart

9. James Cagney

10. Marlon Brando

11. Vivien Leigh

12. Richard Basehart

13. Glenn Ford

14. Richard Widmark

15. Tyrone Power

16. James Dean

17. Jerry Lewis

18. Judy Garland

19. Joan Crawford

20. Maximillian Schell

21. Vic Morrow

22. Richard Attenborough

23. Peter Graves

24. Frank Sinatra

25. Ernest Borgnine

26. Humphrey Bogart

27. Montgomery Clift

28. Joseph Cotten

29. Jo Van Fleet

30. Paul Muni

31. Sidney Potier

I like Maximilian Schell. You are thinking outside the box on that one!

Richard Basehart is another interesting selection. You would undoubtedly have to include THE HOUSE ON TELEGRAPH HILL. That's a must-see.

Ahh, Jerry Lewis. The problem is that much of his career (in his prime at least) was at Paramount. He definitely deserves a month-long tribute.

Tough choices to make. Universal could make our work so much easier by giving TCM access to the several hundred films in its pre-1948 Paramount catalog; in recent years, SUTS honorees such as Carole Lombard and Claudette Colbert have had virtually no Paramount product as part of their 24 hours ("Hands Across The Table" was shown for Carole, not sure what was carried on Claudette's day), and both made plenty of programmers for the studio that deserve to be unearthed. And showing Paramount films would give a different twist to when TCM finally gives William Powell a SUTS day; I'd love to see "Interference," his first talkie.

Oh, and if Charles Coburn gets a SUTS day, shouldn't Walter Connolly, Una Merkel or Eugene Pallette?

My SUTS:

1. Humphrey Bogart

2. John Wayne

3. Katharine Hepburn

4. Fred Astaire

5. Bette Davis

6. Joan Crawford

7. James Cagney

8. Elvis Presley

9. Myrna Loy

10. Ginger Rogers

11. Spencer Tracy

12. Cary Grant

13. Katharine Hepburn

14. Norma Shearer

15. Olivia de Havilland

16. Jimmy Stewart

17. Judy Garland

18. Gregory Peck

19. Orson Welles

20. Edward G. Robinson

21. William Powell

22. Lionel Barrymore

23. Clark Gable

24. Mickey Rooney

25. Sidney Poitier

26. Gary Cooper

27. Henry Fonda

28. Errol Flynn

29. Joan Fontaine

30. Katharine Hepburn

31. Greer Garson

*Ground rule: No repeats from after August of 2009, either SOTM or SUTS.* I began my TCM immersion in September of that year, so admittedly this is an arbitrary cutoff date.

I restricted myself to just two silent stars (Barthelmess and Dix), two foreign directors (Ozu and Rohmer), and one foreign actress (Moreau). After all these years of seeing countless bubblegum stars showing up time and again, I don't think I'm going overboard in this small bit of reparations. But maybe some people will have to learn to read subtitles for five whole days.

Otherwise, I try to give a mix of "major" and "minor" stars, with a few character actors and actresses thrown in. The order is strictly alphabetical.

Dana Andrews

Edward Arnold

Jean Arthur

Richard Barthelmess

Anne Baxter

Raymond Burr

Louis Calhern

Jack Carson

Lee J. Cobb

Ricardo Cortez

Richard Dix

Gloria Grahame

Jane Greer

Susan Hayward

Juano Hernandez

Walter Huston

Guy Kibbee

Bela Lugosi

Ida Lupino

Jeanne Moreau

Edmond O’Brien

Yasujirō Ozu

Jack Palance

Dick Powell

Edward G. Robinson

Eric Rohmer

Rosalind Russell

*George Sanders* (the most flagrant omission from previous years)

Lizabeth Scott

Lee Tracy

Claire Trevor

Very good. You're my kind of programmer. You have a nice mix of familiar and less familiar names/faces. And they all have strong filmographies. Gloria Grahame and Edmond O'Brien would make my list if I extended it. I think they merit more recognition.

Actually we have Margaret Lindsay, Simone Signoret and Walter Huston in common, as well as Joan Bennett.

I love Claude Rains, too, but he was on the schedule in '12, and I tried not to include anyone I could remember being featured in the past few years. That's also why I didn't choose Ronald Colman, Dirk Bogarde, Mary Astor or Miriam Hopkins. Granted I may still have some repeats because I'm relying on just my memory and God knows that's always an iffy proposition! :D

Ann Harding, Danielle Darrieux, Madeleine Carroll, Rex Harrison (who ended up making the actual cut), Raymond Massey, and Robert Donat were also high on my list. I wasn't sure about being able to fill an entire day with Donat though. I also considered Gene Raymond solely as an excuse to ask for Zoo in Budapest :^0 (couldn't pick Loretta as she was SOTM earlier in the year), so I'd appreciate it very much if you included that film for your Raymond day. ;)

*Carole Lombard and Claudette Colbert have had virtually no Paramount product as part of their 24 hours ("Hands Across The Table" was shown for Carole, not sure what was carried on Claudette's day), and both made plenty....*

And Clara Bow and Nancy Carroll and Silvia Sidney and Louise Brooks .... and later Dorothy Lamour and Paulette Goddard and Veronica Lake and on and on and on....

I am definitely going to include ZOO IN BUDAPEST as part of my Gene Raymond day-- I will rely heavily on his RKO output, and that film was made at RKO.

If you use the TCM database, not all the foreign or British productions are listed. So if you look at the IMDB, you will probably find other Robert Donat productions, enough to round out a full day of programming. If I extended my list, I would choose him. I think people tend to forget that he was more than a one-trick pony (more than Mr. Chips, though that is obviously his signature role).

My inclusion of Yvonne de Carlo is going to mean that I use some Universal films. But I feel she warrants a mention. She was a big movie star, long before her time as Lily Munster. I might even cheat and include the made-for-TV movie from the 1980s where she reprised Lily, just for fun!

Nice list, Andy. For the record, we have 2 overlaps in our picks (Walter Huston and Lee Tracy), but I contemplated many of the others you mentioned. And you clearly have a more expansive breadth of knowledge to work from than I do. My list totally skews to my own tastes (pre-codes, noir and character players).

Has George Sanders really never be featured? That is surprising. He would be an excellent candidate.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}I am definitely going to include ZOO IN BUDAPEST as part of my Gene Raymond day-- I will rely heavily on his RKO output, and that film was made at RKO.

>

> If you use the TCM database, not all the foreign or British productions are listed. So if you look at the IMDB, you will probably find other Robert Donat productions, enough to round out a full day of programming. If I extended my list, I would choose him. I think people tend to forget that he was more than a one-trick pony (more than Mr. Chips, though that is obviously his signature role).

>

> My inclusion of Yvonne de Carlo is going to mean that I use some Universal films. But I feel she warrants a mention. She was a big movie star, long before her time as Lily Munster. I might even cheat and include the made-for-TV movie from the 1980s where she reprised Lily, just for fun!

I believe ZiB was a Fox Film Production (before they merged with 20th Century), which is why we never see it. Well, TCM did play it once a few years back.

I adore Robert Donat, but I know his heath woes resulted in a limited filmography. And with British (or really any foreign) pics, I never know how difficult it might be for TCM to license the rights.