Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Oblivion" (2013)

joefilmone

Tom Cruise saves the world again! This is a handsome looking but generic sci-fi adventure. The director aims for Kubrick but the results are more like a tv sci-fi series. It's one of those movies which seem to dissapear as you are watching it and the plot makes no sense .

Edited by: joefilmone on May 11, 2013 8:48 PM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip joe. I usually try to avoid any knowledge about a film before I see it in the theater, assuming I'll have a purer reaction that way. I just went to see Into Darkness on that basis. Somehow within 5 minutes, I figured out where it was headed. I was disappointed by film for several reasons, particularly the way it trashed "Star Trek canon." I'm not one of those sticklers that insist on perfection but there are limits to authorial freedom in such a long-running phenomenon. Perhaps we should start a thread on that subject. On the other hand, I appreciate your opinion of Oblivion. It may have departed the screen by the time I get around to it but now when I do view it, I won't be falsely hoping for recompense for the disappointment of Darkness and Prometheus. The sci-fi club I belong to has a running feature "Science Fiction + Fantasy Hall of Fame." I'm sure that Cruise will eventually make it onto this list purely by the number of SFF movies he's appeared in.

I missed viewing Prometheus in the theater but I've seen it on disk. My reaction was similar to everyone else but the movie has been jangling around in the back of my mind ever since. The plot is complicated because Scott was attempting to create motive for the Alien species after-the-fact, a very difficult task. I will definitely have to give it another look. Besides, Rapace is interesting to watch. My only knowledge about her is the "Girl" movies, I'll have to do a little researching about her.

{font:Times New Roman} {font}

{font:Times New Roman}You seem like an intelligent and movie-savvy person joe, so I would appreciate hearing your opinion on a certain subject concerning Star Wars. It’s my contention that the prequel episodes contain an extensive anagrammatic code about World War 2. It’s a known fact that Lucas based the Skywalker family on the Mythic Hero Cycle and that he incorporated images and themes from WW 2 into Episodes 4, 5 and 6. But I believe that Lucas used a hidden code to refer to specific people, places and even battles in WW 2. Examples - {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Nute Gunray speaks with an Asiatic accent{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Amidala wears gowns patterned after the Chinese Imperial court and Edwardian England{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Jar Jar Binks resembles Charles DeGaulle (big nose, big ears), both of whom continually disrupted the plan of attack{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Jango rhymes with Franco (Hitler’s hired gun){font}

{font:Times New Roman}The name “Count” Dooku may be derived from Dzhugashvili, “Marshal” Stalin’s real name{font}

{font:Times New Roman}Yoda paraphrases Winston Churchill{font}

{font:Times New Roman}I’m not an expert on the war but I have read over 100 books on the subject. I don’t believe it’s proper etiquette for me to post my web site’s address on a TCM board but if you google Star Wars and Hitler (or WW 2 or Hero Cycle), you’ll find it. If this subject interests you, I would appreciate your opinion on its validity. I assume that most people dismiss it as fantasy. However, I predicted the appearance of a Stalin figure in Episode 2 before seeing the movie, so I must be on to something right! The article consists of a 4-page essay, 3-page list of Hero Cycle events, 2-page list of references to other movies, 6-page list of WW 2 references (235 items) in the prequel movies and a 3-page list of WW 2 references (94 items) in the novels that occur between Episodes 2 and 3. You can skip the non-relevant portions if you wish. The article was originally written in 1999 and amended with each new film. When the new Disney movies are released, I may have to do it again. If you believe my article has merit, then other TCM sci-fi aficionados might also be interested. I noticed MadaBidyoni's recent request. (This thread started out as “Oblivion” but we certainly have wandered far afield.){font}