Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
FlyBackTransformer

Forbidden Planet...

I am not one to want to see a remake. The original is a cute B movie.

Forbidden Planet is NOT a 'B' picture. In fact that is what makes it unique as a 50s sci-fi film. RO talked about that in his intro the last time TCM showed the film.

It's a B picture to me and always has been since I first saw it. RO not withstanding. Obviously one of the best B's but I sure don't put it in the upper echelon of sci fi's like The War of the Worlds or The Day the Earth Stood Still. To me it is simply "cute" not mind blowing like the two I mentioned plus some others. My view is my view and my view alone quite possibly but that is how I see it.

I agree that Forbidden Planet is certainly not a B movie. It is an elegant sci-fi take on Shakespeare's The Tempest.

It's not a B picture by any means. It is classic, trail-blazing science fiction. It should not be remade, but probably will be since Hollywood today is cluttered with mindless dolts who produce computer-generated pap and can't come up with an original idea of their own.

"Forbidden Planet" is an A picture in every way- cast, production values and those still effective special effects. A true ground breaking science ficiton classic- it has influenced everything from "Star Trek" to " Prometheus". And Robby is still a cool robot.

Edited by: joefilmone on May 15, 2013 5:32 PM

Sorry but I fail to understand what you mean by 'It's a B picture to me'.

Whether a picture is an A or B picture isn't a matter of opinion but fact based on the budget for the film, the actors cast, etc... Now I didn't provide these facts since I didn't expect to get any push back but I see others have. The film was unique because MGM decided to make an A picture sci-fi film.

Not a B picture regardless of one's opinion otherwise.

Okay, this is driving me nuts. Who is the voice of Robby? I'm thinking Marvin "Michael Anthony" Miller of *The Millionaire.* If not the actor certainly sounds a lot like him. I don't care about the booze, as long as he could keep me in barbecued ribs he could sound any way he had to.

Yes, it's Marvin Miller. By the way, that was Les Tremayne doing the opening narration.

Whatever it is, A or B, it's got my Walter Pidgeon in it, and that's enough to make it a Double-A picture for me.

I guess I was and am just not enthralled by Forbidden Planet. Just seemed not much better to me than so many 50's low budget sci fi films. That's just my humble opinion. Often poor though it is. My highpoint is that the venerable Walter Pidgeon is in it. I have never been a big fan of many 1950 fims in general.

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}

> Isn't it true that Forbidden Planet was Gene Roddenberry's inspiration for Star Trek?

I'm not sure if he ever came out and said so, but even back in 1966, when the series premiered, among my friends, it certainly looked like the single biggest influence. They even both have a leading man who was born in Canada. ;)

I read the book "The Making of Star Trek" back when it was first issued, I don't recall it coming up there but a quick Google search does have a citation that Roddenberry did claim it as one of his influences in the book "Star Trek Creator."

I assume you're making a joke here since A/B picture has noting to do with the quality of the work (as determined by the viewer). It has to do with the quality of the team assigned to do the work as determine by the studio. An 'A' unit can produce 'B' work (and of course, what is better for us viewers, is when a 'B' team produces 'A' quality work.

I think Forbidden Planet is only a so-so film but that doesn't change the fact that it is an 'A' picture.

My understanding of 'A' and 'B' picture relates to the team (crew) assigned to create a film. Just because top talent was assigned to a film doesn't mean it is a great or even good film.

Dothery likes it because of Walter Pidgeon. I like it because of Ann Francis. To each their own.

NOW I'm going to have to read "The Tempest" to find the comparison. That should be fun.

That the instruments aboard the spacecraft didn't look like left over dashboards from old automobiles, like in a lot of OTHER '50's sci-fi movies is a plus.

But I always feel bad for Walt. He was living an idyllic life until the evil EARTHMEN came along. And I never noticed...when they left before the planet self-destructed...did they take ROBBIE with them?

Sepiatone

They must have brought Robby along. Didn't he appear in more movies & on television? I was always more concerned about the flora & fauna. At least in Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, the only Gwyneth Paltrow movie I've seen, they showed the animals were rescued.

Wow that was a neat way of bringing Gwyneth Paltrow into a thread about Forbidden Planet. Someone is going to re-title this thread to Forbidden Actress! :)

Robby's screen career was completely ruined by his 2nd screen appearance, The Invisible Boy, an awful movie. It contains scenes of such idiotic silliness as to defy belief but I watch it just for the sheer entertainment value of such incredible silliness. Examples, Philip Abbott and Diane Brewster sitting at the dinner table and somehow not noticing that little Timmy has become invisible. Invisible little Timmy irritating project eggheads at a table with juvenile shinanigans and an egomaniacal power-hungry computer with a supposedly simulated facsimile of a human voice pronouncing fuel as few-ell. :^0

Sepia said: Dothery likes it because of Walter Pidgeon. I like it because of Ann Francis. To each their own.

I like because of Robby the Robot. Go figure.

I've always been fond of this film for it's atmosphere. I think the setting -the "planet" - has an eerie, melancholy and lonely feels to it that always impressed me. Also the intererior sets of the hige machine that operates the planet also had looked impressive. I got the sense that a man like Morbius oculd easily become enchanted with such a solitary setting, and kind of sympathized with his desire to keep his private world to himself.

I agree. The set designs, for the times, were remarkable. The designer gladly didn't allow the limits of current technology "limit" his imagination and vision, as too many in the past have.

My step brother, who I once mentioned was a sort of "geek" as a kid, once denounced something we saw in an old sci-fi flick as "impossible". His Dad, my step father, asked him, "How do you think they'd react if you went back to the civil war and told all the generals that in 50 years there'd be a war where explosives were dropped out of flying machines?"

THAT shut him up!

Sepiatone