Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kiss of Death

Since not ALL of us have a detailed schedule, are you mentioning movies that WERE on, or COMING on? It would be helpful if you supplied this kind of info once in a while.

But *Kiss Of Death* is a long time favorite of mine, as well as PELHAM. Their recent remakes aren't up to the same par.

Sepiatone

Thanks for the info, Lavender. Fortunately, I have both on tape/disc, so I'll be covered regardless.

I always watch a VICTOR MATURE movie on Mother's Day in tribute to MY Mother, the ultimate V.M. fan!

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=lavenderblue19 wrote:}{quote}Sepia, just in case Fly doesn't get to answer back, *Kiss Of Death* is on tonite @ 8pm and *Taking of Pelham 123* will be on @3:15 am Wed morning. Hope you get see these 2 :)

And for those with terminal insomnia (or a good DVD recorder), there's a great pre-code showing @5:00 am, right after the Pelham movie - The Secret Six, with an all-star cast of Wallace ("Jug of Cow") Beery, Lewis Stone, Ralph Bellamy, Jean Harlow and Clark Gable in a crusading reporter's role. Not to mention yet another great one that follows Kiss of Death: The Sidewalk Never Ends, with an equally great cast of Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Gary Merrill and Karl Malden. All in all, this is going to be one terrific evening from start to finish.

Poor, helpless Mrs. Rizzo. Evil, maniacal Tommy. Brilliant, fascinating Richard Widmark.

This has to be one of the most famous scenes in filmnoirdom of all time.

What is it about this horrible scene that fascinates us so? I think it's the sheer brutality of it. Lots of criminals in movies are cruel, sadistic even. But there weren't many, at least back then, who would have pushed a lady in a wheelchair down the stairs ! It's so shocking, so "over-the-top", we can't believe it !

And yet, I hate to say it, but I actually sometimes laugh when I view this 4 minutes of nasty violence. It's probably partly because I'm used to it, I know what's going to happen (I'd better...I've seen *Kiss of Death* many times). I certainly didn't laugh the first time I saw it.

I think it's partly just a delight in the nastiness of Widmark's character - who is that vile? and his performance. And it's just one of those things that, in a perverse way, is almost funny - is he really going to push that nice lady down the stairs? who does stuff like that? Tommy Udo, apparently !

Mildred Dunnock plays the unfortunate Mrs. Rizzo. Maybe because I'm a lot older now than when I first saw this movie, but she doesn't really look all that old to me. Maybe 45 or so? There's a quiet dignity to her when she looks down into her lap, she refuses to look at Tommy while he's ranting. Doubtless she's terrified (with reason !), but there's also something touching and admirable about the way she chooses to ignore Udo's trashy nasty vengeance chatter.

Great movie. And even if it weren't, Richard Widmark would have elevated it to "greatness" status.

One of life's little ironies is that in real life Richard Widmark was apparently was of Hollywood's super nice guys, married to the same woman from 1942 until her death in 1997. And the other "famous nice guy" among the acting crowd was perhaps the darkest character ever to haunt a silver screen, the perenially psychopathic Robert Ryan.

While naturally one of filmdom's biggest personal disasters was Bing Crosby, the G-rated saintly priest and laid back golfer who joshed with Bob Hope. Go figure.

*... another great one that follows Kiss of Death: The Sidewalk Never Ends, with an equally great cast of Dana Andrews, Gene Tierney, Gary Merrill and Karl Malden.*

Actually, it is called WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS, but it is a great noir with a terrific cast....at 10 PM eastern, 7 pm pacific this evening.

I like Kiss of Death but I don't like the way the ending is handled.

And no: I do not mean that I expected there to be a *literal * kiss of death somewhere in the movie.

I just think the voiceover is weak and unnecessary and kind of cornball, and Colleen Gray is too flat in the rendering of it.

and The use of (am I right on this?) I'm Getting Sentimental Over You (or is is cribbed from Rhapsody in Blue ? and is it the same song used throughout Baby Face ?) Anyway, it's distracting.

and It would be more effective if Mature's character died...plus, I mean, he does get shot like seven times or something, no?

(But it's still a terrific film otherwise.)

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 14, 2013 9:56 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on May 14, 2013 10:00 PM

> {quote:title=scsu1975 wrote:}{quote}It's called "Street Scene," composed by Alfred Newman, and was used in several Fox films.

The best version of which was in How To Marry A Millionaire, when it was played at the intro of the movie and Newman conducts the orchestra in a full rendition of it.