Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Showboat 1936

wouldbestar

{font:Times New Roman}:) Thank you, thank you, TCM, for giving me the chance to see the 1936 *Showboat* this afternoon as I love the 1953 one and have always wanted to compare the two. This was a wonderful surprise. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}I’d never seen Paul Robeson, Helen Morgan or Allan Jones-father of Jack- perform before and that alone was worth watching it for. Also, I’ve been hearing that Irene Dunne was a great singer but didn’t hear the proof until today. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}I now know what Ms. Morgan had that inspired Polly Bergen’s shattering portrayal of her on *Playhouse 90* so long ago and “good girl” Ann Blyth to shock her fans and do a movie version. She didn’t have Ava Gardner’s dramatic end scenes but left a mark anyway. Allan’s voice was rich and expressive and a match for Howard Keel. I enjoyed the version of “Old Man River” Robeson and the other men did but think William Warfield’s from 1953 was better; he just gets right through to me when I hear it. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}The supporting cast was better the second time around. Charles Wininger and the actress playing Pompy were okay but Joe E. Brown and Agnes Morehead were a better couple; you believed they loved each other under all the bickering. The dancing team couldn’t touch Marge and Gower Champion. I did think the 1936 Steve had an edge over Robert Sterling but not by much. And I love Hattie McDaniel whose servants never seem subservient but confident enough to stand up to anything or anybody. Now it doesn’t matter which version is on, I’ve got a winner to watch.

Just saw that I have the year wrong and fixed it. 1936 rather than 1934. {font}

Yes, one of the few instances in movies where different versions are both worthwhile and, have strengths. James Whale did his usual fine job directing. And nobody can beat Paul Robeson. I have to say I prefer this version, primarily because of Whale and Irene Dunne, who I like better than Kathryn Grayson--not that I don't think she's good.

> {quote:title=selimsa803 wrote:}{quote}Has anyone ever seen the 1929 version? So curious about it.

It's not too bad. Stars Laura Laplante as Magnolia and Joseph Schildkraut as Gaylord. It's mostly silent with the songs as background music. No singing.