Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Dothery

From the information available it was Clairemont High School where he used to go and the school he has described his experiences from.

[how to sell a structured settlement|http://www.quotemeaprice.com]

Edited by: rubyslovr on May 15, 2013 1:00 AM

Yes, it was Clairemont. We lived in University City. There were some raised eyebrows among the parents when the story came out, I can tell you. OUR kids were up to all that stuff?

I knew Mission Bay High well. I took the woodshop class there with Mr. Z. (Recommended by a friend who lived in Pacific Beach, who had also taken it; he said Mr. Z. was the best, since he still had all his fingers.) I made a sort of ceiling lamp, which I still have. The idea was to direct the light upward and get a soft glow rather than a harsh downward glare. It worked fine, but it was very blank-looking, so I decided to carve something on the bottom to give it a less library-like look as people bathed in its gentle light. I chose a picture out of National Geographic by Herb Kane (Kah-nay), a famed Hawaiian painter, and picked up a set of carving tools off the table at the hardware store. I copied it in pencil, carved it out and stained the whole thing with mahogany stain. Gorgeous.

A few years later I had my secretarial service going in Kona, Hawaii, and in the door came Herb Kane with some work for me. In the course of the conversation I told him what I had done, citing the painting of a double hull canoe with crab claw sails. He began grinning at the beginning of the description. I asked if he was going to sue me. He said no, and laughed.

See what you get when you mention Mission Bay High School?

I also have a neighbor here in Hawaii whose dad owned the golf course there.

Love Kona on the Big Island. The wife and I go each Thanksgiving and stay at the Kona Seaspray on south Alii drive. Great place to stay and all one has to do to find great snorkeling is to cross Alii drive and dive in!

I'll think of you next time I drive by there, James. I go along Alii Drive now rather than Kuakini, since they put in the bypass.