Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A programming Idea

Guest obrienmundy

Another Idea for TCM programming slipped into my mind recently. It will include only overlooked films serving them up 2 at a time every Sunday night. I call it the Overlooked Cinema Showcase. Each night will pair up two little-known films from the same well-known performer. Here we go.

Week 1: Bette Davis; Films: A Stolen Life (1946) and Fog Over Frisco (1934)
Week 2: Cary Grant; Films: Thirty Day Princess (1934) and Indiscreet (1958)
Week 3: Natalie Wood; Films: Penelope (1966) and Marjorie Morningstar (1958)
Week 4:Helen Hayes; Films: The Sin of Madelon Claudet (1931) and The White Sister (1933)
Week 5:John Wayne; Films: Allegheny Uprising (1939) and Reap the Wild Wind (1942)
Week 6:Katharine Hepburn; Films: Morning Glory (1933) and Quality Street (1937)
Week 7:Paul Newman; Films: Until They Sail (1957) and A New Kind of Love (1963)
Week 8: Jean Harlow; Films: Hold Your Man (1933) and Platinum Blonde (1931)
Week 9: Spencer Tracy; Films: Tortilla Flat (1942) and Mannequin (1937)
Week 10: Greer Garson; Films: Desire Me (1947) and Her Twelve Men (1954)
Week 11: Clark Gable;Films: Homecoming (1948) and Chained (1934)
Week 12: Olivia de Havilland; Films: It's Love I'm After (1937) and Hold Back the Dawn (1941)
Week 13: Richard Burton; Films: My Cousin Rachel (1952) and The V.I.P.s (1963)
Week 14: Julie Andrews; Films: Darling Lili (1970) and The Tamarind Seed (1974)
Week 15: Bing Crosby; Films: We're Not Dressing (1934) and The Emperor Waltz (1948)
Week 16: Debbie Reynolds; Films: My Six Loves (1963) and Bundle of Joy (1956)
Week 17: Humphrey Bogart; Films: The Two Mrs. Carrolls (1947) and Dead Reckoning (1947)
Week 18: Lauren Bacall; Films: Young Man with a Horn (1950) and Designing Woman (1957)
Week 19: Robert Mitchum; Films: Angel Face (1952) and Where Danger Lives (1950)
Week 20: Leslie Caron; Films: The Glass Slipper (1955) and A Very Special Favor (1965)
Week 21: Robert Taylor; Films: Personal Property (1937) and Three Comrades (1938)
Week 22: Greta Garbo; Films: Conquest (1937) and The Painted Veil (1934)
Week 23: Leslie Howard: Films: Berkeley Square (1933) and Intermezzo (1939)
Week 24: Doris Day; Films: Young at Heart (1954) and The Glass Bottom Boat (1966)
Week 25: Jimmy Stewart; Films: It's a Wonderful World (1939) and The Shopworn Angel (1938)
Week 26: Ginger Rogers; Films: Vivacious Lady (1938) and Primrose Path (1940)
Week 27: Fred Astaire; Films: The Pleasure of His Company (1961) and Daddy Long Legs (1955)
Week 28: Elizabeth Taylor; Films: Rhapsody (1954) and Cynthia (1947)
Week 29: Tyrone Power; Films: Johnny Apollo (1940) and Suez (1938)
Week 30: Loretta Young; Films: Wife Husband and Friend (1939) and Three Blind Mice (1938)
Week 31: John Barrymore; Films: Night Flight (1933) and Beau Brummel (1924)
Week 32: Myrna Loy; Films: Double Wedding (1937) and Third Finger Left Hand (1940)
Week 33: William Powell; Films: I Love You Again (1940) and The Baroness and the Butler (1938)
Week 34: Lillian Gish; Films: La Boheme (1926) and The Scarlet Letter (1926)
Week 35: Buster Keaton; Films: Three Ages (1923) and The Cameraman (1928)
Week 36: Marion Davies; Films: The Red Mill (1927) and The Cardboard Lover (1928)
Week 37: Gregory Peck; Films: Arabesque (1966) and The Valley of Decision (1945)
Week 38: Claudette Colbert; Films: Midnight (1939) and Bluebeard's Eighth Wife (1938)
Week 39: Jack Lemmon; Films: Good Neighbor Sam (1964) and Avanti! (1972)
Week 40:Angela Lansbury; Films: If Winter Comes (1947) and The Reluctant Debutante (1958)
Week 41: Rosalind Russell; Films: Sister Kenny (1946) and The Trouble With Angels (1966)
Week 42: Fredric March; Films: Anthony Adverse (1936) and Mary of Scotland (1936)
Week 43: Sidney Poitier; Films: Paris Blues (1961) and The Bedford Incident (1965)
Week 44: James Garner; Films: The Thrill of It All (1963) and Cash McCall (1960)
Week 45: Joan Crawford; Films: A Woman's Face (1941) and Love on the Run (1936)
Week 46: Robert Young; Films: The Enchanted Cottage (1945) and H.M. Pulham Esq. (1941)
Week 47: Margaret O'Brien; Films: Our Vines have Tender Grapes (1945) and Music for Millions (1944)
Week 48: Edward G. Robinson; Films: Larceny Inc. (1942) and The Amazing Dr. Clitterhouse (1938)
Week 49: Jean Arthur; Films: Easy Living (1937) and The Ex-Mrs. Bradford (1936)
Week 50: William Holden; Films: Executive Suite (1954) and Fedora (1978)
Week 51: Deborah Kerr; Films: Vacation from Marriage (1945) and The End of the Affair (1955)
Week 52: Audrey Hepburn; Films: How to Steal a Million (1966) and Funny Face (1957)

Anybody would know Edward G. Robinson's lost films are BLACK TUESDAY (UNITED ARTISTS) & HELL ON FRISCO BAY (WARNER BROS.). Many of those have been on TCM

Beau Brummel was just on recently. Alot of thought went into it. You just thought the wrong movies.

I didn't see Henry Fonda & BLOCKADE on there. Right now Israel has a Blockade going against their enemy in which medical supplies being delivered are met with fighter jets. The worst blockade ever done.

TCM is so timid & cowardly in its programming that it is using so many repeats its becoming worthless. There is only one old movie channel. Most old people watch METV instead of TCM.

TCM is lamestream media. I for one want TCM to scrap all presentations on films. People do not need some old dying guy up there explaining gossip. I never listen to them because they tell you too much of the story. Want to record a movie? Add 10 minutes to the running time for endless blabbing. I don't care about cruises especially when several ships capsized or burnt. Good pay all this money & find yourself stranded with no clean water, no clean toilets & starving in the middle of an ocean!

TCM festival - more Hollywood boredome & lameness. Hollywood has done more harm to films than good. They burnt 80% of all silent film to get $20 worth of silver. THEY Didn't know? The movies were historic landscapes? They burnt Greed & Napoleon. 9 hours & 6 hour epics BURNT! They couldn't find a way to keep one complete print somewhere - NO they made sure of that. MGM burnt both films. Louis B. Mayer personally burnt them. The man never learned to read! A former junk collector.

Robert Osborne needs to retire. He looks like he's going to die any minute. TCM is not worth a man's life. So he can sell dvds & a cruise.

WTH is wrong with you, or are you just having a bad day? Why are you even here? You've been on the message boards a week and you're alread po'd? If you hate the channel so much why participate? Or are you one of those "hate watchers" I've heard so much about.? Or a concern troll? Nothing you've said is in anyway constructive.

Well, you did put some thought into your list. I;m not sure some of them are that overlooked but you make a fine point. Some of the titles are going to be hard to get. "Easy Living" was shown once in connection with the DVD release but not again. That is Universal or Paramount or whichever company owns it just not playing ball.

A good effort.

Don't you know you're just asking for trouble?

Comparing TCM to MeTV is too ridiculous for words. That is a outlet that carries mostly TV programs from the 60s and 70s. (Even if you really meant "THIS" TV you're off the mark.)

Your comments reagarding Mr. Osborne are insulting and just plain mean. "Some old dying guy" gives two minutes of information that anyone might find useful and you're going to complain about it. For a man his age that still is as involved in things like the festival and the cruise among other things I think is to be admired for his dedication. (And good for TCM for keeping him as long as he wants to be part of things.)

TCM didn't really have anything to do with the way MGM handled their silent pictures last I heard. However, where else would they hold their festival except in the town that gave us all those great movies.

TCM may not be perfect but they're the only game in town and they take their job seriously. Too bad you don't see it.

Edited by: movieman1957 on May 14, 2013 9:42 PM

Louis B. Mayer offered RKO one million dollars for the negative of Citizen Kane for the express purpose of burning it. A real dyed in the wool de Medici, this Louis B. Mayer, eh?

Louis B. Mayer, a man with a love for the art of cinema or Louis B. Mayer, Hollywood bag man?

I know what time it is and so do you, RFE. But do others?

> {quote:title=Radio-Free-Europe wrote:}{quote}What I meant to say if it has been misunderstood. TCM has ruined their own image by using presentations which are unnecessary & condescending & showing so many repeats that it would be a form of torture if a foreign govt did it. METV does not come across as pompous. They simply show their stuff.

> About Robert Osborne. I don't think TCM needs him to sell dvds & cruises. Doing all this work and filming presentations might affect his health. He should retire, relax & forget selling stuff.

> TCM can never say anything negative about Hollywood in their presentations or interviews. It might jeopardize their ability to get movies. TCM is selling out. I don't care what Ben Mankiewicz has to say about anything, let alone movies. He has no stature whatsoever neither does Robert Osborne for that matter. Paid puppet mouths. Selling dvds, cruises, festivals & whatever. I do not respect salespeople. There is a cardinal rule. Do not use newspeople to sell products. Whatever Robert & Ben are selling I'm not buying. I want to hear quiet from them. There is a Louis B. Mayer foundation

> that works 24 hours a day to rectify the image of this horrible man. Don't worry TCM subscribers, you'll never hear anything negative about him on TCM. RO must go BM must go. goodbye & that thing about the door...

l watch METV quite often. Interestingly everything they show, by definition, is a repeat. ME now has Dragnet. Since no one ever broadcasts the original B&W run, they are limited to the few color episodes from the late 1960s which they will now run endlessly for the next year or two. That is probably torture to many.

Also, by picking ME you picked exactly the wrong service. THIS, COZI, and ANTENNA TV all show more films than ME. Does ME even show any?

I realize that by responding to you I'm giving you exactly what you crave, but I'd like to ask that you refrain from hijacking other people's valid subjects for your manifesto.

Start your own fire RO, burn LB Mayer thread.

Edited by: ginnyfan on May 15, 2013 10:20 AM

Also, by picking ME you picked exactly the wrong service. THIS, COZI, and ANTENNA TV all show more films than ME. Does ME even show any?

I've yet to see a movie on Me-TV yet. I rather enjoyed the channel when I first got it, but they show edited versions of all of their programming and the constant repetition of the same ads has driven me away to just a few programs on late Sunday night.

Maybe I am their target audience, but how many times can one watch the catheter ads, the prostate guy and Alex Trebeck's life insurance before they want to scream? And don't get me started on Connie and Jack, that couple who ride around in a gas guzzling RV and do nothing but talk about having saved ten bucks on their cell phone that month.

I agree Clore. I like the Sunday lineup as well. The Mason episodes on weekdays are hacked up, but not as badly as Hallmark hacks them.

Back to the OPs topic. I like the idea, although we might argue a bit about the films and stars chosen.

It's a good thought and a constructive comment.

Edited by: ginnyfan on May 15, 2013 2:33 PM

Yes, the OP has a good enough idea. It wouldn't be very productive for me to quibble over the selected titles, but the concept is a good one.

Some would argue about the titles or the performers, but hey, it has to start somewhere. While I can moan with the worst of them on some topics here, I'm all for some thematic programming. And I'm not so wedded to TCM that I can't give it up for a night if there's something or someone on that I don't care to watch.

It does however cause me to jones during Ferbruary when there's too much airing that I've seen too often, but that's why I have my own collection. And I might even leave the house to do something other than watch TV.

> {quote:title=ginnyfan wrote:

> }{quote}As a guy who watches a lot more programmers than award winners, I hate February.

I know what you mean. I get more excited over seeing an Edward L. Cahn or Lew Landers title on the schedule than I do over Stanley Kubrick. Not that I'm dismissing the latter, but his work will always be accessible whereas the other two get so little exposure.

*Maybe I am their target audience, but how many times can one watch the catheter ads, the prostate guy and Alex Trebeck's life insurance before they want to scream? And don't get me started on Connie and Jack, that couple who ride around in a gas guzzling RV and do nothing but talk about having saved ten bucks on their cell phone that month.*

*Dude, you watch waaaaay too much TV. Good golly *

Not really, on Me-TV, one can see the same ad three times within an hour-long program. I've even seen times when the same ad ran twice within the same break.

But I doubt seriously that I watch more TV than anyone else posting in these forums, including yourself. I've been up since 530am and have yet to turn on the set. I'm more likely to spend time online than watching TV, but much of that is spent on sites other than this one, including a good number of news sources from around the world. I prefer reading it to watching it.

Not that I owe you an explanation, but maybe you'll think twice before being so judgmental next time.

With regards to your comment about Citizen Kane and that Louis B. Mayer offered RKO one million dollars for the negative for the express purpose of burning it:

If all Mayer cared about was money (which would be OK with me since the making of movies is a business), what was his motive? i.e. how would Mayer profit by burning that negative? I don't see how he would of made back his million dollars by burning the negative.

Thanks for the scoop. Well if that story is true, than what was implied about Mayer by the other poster wasn't true in this case.

i.e. that Mayer would destroy art in order to make a profit. Note as a jazz guitar player I do have a sick example of that. There was this rich guy from Japan that was buying up vintage jazz guitars. Well when he had the majority of a model year he would destroy various some of them. This increased the value of his overall inventory since it made the remaining guitars rarer.