Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

May 23 -A Day of Early talkies and Harold Lloyd at night

6:00AM Without Lying Down: Francis Marion Story (DOCUMENTARY) (2000)

7:00AM Coquette (1929)

8:30AM Last of Mrs. Cheyney (1929)

10:15AM Voice of the City (1929)

11:45AM The Divorcee (1930)

1:15PM Life of the Party (1930)

2:45PM The Office Wife (1930)

4:00PM Kept Husbands (1931)

5:30PM Secret Six (1931)

7:00PM Complicated WOmen (DOCUMENTARY)

It looks like the daytime theme is "Women of Early Hollywood",although all films are early talking pictures,some that are rarely shown. Coquette, which won Mary Pickford a competitive Oscar,is sometimes trotted out during Oscar Month. The Divorcee gets pretty regular airing because Norma Shearer won a Best Actress oscar for her part in that film the year after that.

I can't remember the last time "Voice of the City" aired, but it is a hoot for all the wrong reasons. Look closely and see if you recognize Mrs. Wilson from Dennis the Menace in the lead actress role.

Among the rarely shown, Life of the Party and Office Wife are the best,IMHO. Winnie Lightner became a comic sensation due to her role in the largely lost "Gold Diggers of Broadway". She is rather a forerunner to Glenda Farrell. In fact, Havana Widows is a remake of Life of the Party.

The two documentaries, the first on Frances Marion, and the second on precode actresses and roles, are top-notch. I highly recommend the entire day.

Then, at night,Safety Last starts the primetime line-up followed by a bunch of rarely seen Harold Lloyd shorts including some Lonesome Lukes, which I thought were lost.

Calvin, OMG, this day totally rocks! Unfortunately I have to work and will probably miss most/all of it, but my DVR, if it has room, will share this with me over the weekend when I probably will skip the war flix. This is such an awesome DAY, 24 hours of celluloid joy, I so agree!!!

Aside from there being just tons of early flix, there are a bunch that I haven't seen before, including most of the Lloyd shorts, and COQUETTE, THE VOICE OF THE CITY and LIFE OF THE PARTY, while many of the others are rarely screened as well!!!

I also so agree with you about the documentaries, they both rock! Thank you so much for highlighting this day, it's a prime example of why I think TCM is the total bomb diggity!

I like Lloyd movies. Too bad the RED WINGS are playing game four of their play-off run tonight. Means I'll miss a good portion of Lloyd!

I got "turned on" to Lloyd from a mid-'70's profile about him on ABC. Since then, I've always been fascinated with his abilities. Some people I know dismissed him when they found out he really WASN'T dangling 15 or so stories high from that clock, but you gotta admit, the physical dexterity shown in that scene is STILL impressive. Especially being done with only two fingers on one hand!

Sounds like one hell of a night!

Sepiatone

The Two-Reelers *CAPTAIN KIDS KID'S* and *HIS ROYAL SLYNESS* are TCM Premiere's. These figure to have new scores, by Robert Israel or somebody. They are both notable for two things. One *KID'S* was Lloyd's final film with Bebe Daniels as his leading lady. The other is that *SLYNESS* was the last film produced where Harold still had his complete right hand. During the production of the next Two-reeler, Lloyd lost his Thumb and index finger, when a supposed prop bomb exploded. He would wear a camouflaged prosthetic device the rest of his career on that hand, concealed by a flesh covered glove. Harold also last most of his vision for several months.

It all kicks off with the new restoration of *SAFETY LAST (1923)* which is being released on Blu-ray by Criterion Collection next month for ther first time. My favorite Lloyd feature *THE FRESHMAN (1925)* is also on tonight's schedule. Harold's Grand daughter Suzanne Lloyd will be co-hosting this great tribute. Her first time on TCM since April of 2003.

Well since the Red Wings beat my Ducks, I'll be watching Harold Lloyd! :)

But yea, if the Wings can beat the #2 and #1 seeded teams in the west that would be something (not the same feat as what the Kings did last year but something). AND it would be great for the Wings to face the Kings in the western finals. But I can NOT be a Kings fan and a Duck fan since the vast majority of my friends here in So Cal are Kings fans and they know I'm a Duck's fan. They would check me against the boards!

Today and tonight has been SUCH a rocking good time! Totally grooviness!! These Lloyd shorts, most of which I'd never seen before, are sooooo hilarious!!! And today's early 30's lineup was out of this universe awesome!!!!

TCM, you guys rock!!

The prints of these short films looked stunning, too bad the musical accompaniment was so awful.

Generic dixieland jazz was really not what these films needed to make the more watchable.

I am disappointed that the Lloyd Trust did such a poor job with the music for these films.

They did such a wonderful job with the features. Too bad. I will not be going out and buying the short film set.

classiccinemafan, it's my understanding that DVD recorders with hard drives (which is what I have) are no longer manufactured. I hope someone who knows differently would let us know because I'm very concerned what to do when my (now) four year old machine finally breaks down.

What I have is a Pioneer DVR-660H, if you can find it second hand somewhere because they stopped making it some years ago. It's a great machine, that holds over 100 hours on the hard drive (if you do it on the 2 hour quality SP speed, the only way I record). However, Panasonic also produced some good machines, though, again, I don't believe they do it anymore. You'd have to settle for a second hand one.

As far as discs are concerned, I have found that Sony, Maxell and Verbatim have all given me good service. I record on DVD-Rs, as opposed to DVD+Rs because my Pioneer machine never shows the menu page for some reason after finalizing the latter discs (the one peculiarity of the machine I've never understood).

Good luck on finding a recorder with a hard drive. It's the only way to do it since a hard drive will allow you to temporaily store a lot and you can edit the recordings down to precisely what you want before transfering the recording to a shiny little disc, to be viewed when you wish then tucked away for safe storage.

Scottman,

The frantic fast paced Jazz numbers also caught me off guard. However, there was allot of recycling of the five Walter Scharf Jazz melodies of Fall Frolic Music from the 1960's re-issue of THE FRESHMAN, which was not used in the 2002 THE FRESHMAN score itself. That restoration having the wonderful Robert Israel score. I enjoyed hearing this music again. I always liked Scarf's score to THE FRESHMAN. Especially the Jazz tunes. I guess I was not aware that the Lloyd Trust owned this music. Some of the scenes in a few of the shorts had different music, but most of it were the same small handful of themes playing over and over again. Arrangements that certainly did not fit into the 1917-1919 time frame. I would have expected to hear more Ragtime oriented stuff, some Fox trots, Photoplay movie mood themes and such, rather then the constant Mid to late 20's sounding Jazz.

No trace of HL's theme song "OH HAROLD" was to be found in any of the debuting titles, though it wasn't recorded until 1922. Some of the music might have been lifted from the 1970's Harold Lloyd Time-Life films series. Mostly Neil Hefty compositions performed by the Crescent City Jazz Band. Since I have seen very few of those I could not say for sure.

Most of the One-reelers I had never seen before, or had not seen in a very long time. While there was allot of broad slapstick in these early shorts, lacking the subtlety and sophistication of his later work, there were also some brilliant routines scattered about. And Bebe Daniels was so darn cute in these early films. It was a treat to see her as well. Kind of surprised that more mention was not made of her.

Caught a bit of *Safety Last* between periods last night. Like many others, I used to believe Lloyd really WAS up that high while dangling from that clock. But that he wasn't doesn't diminish the fact that his physical abilities displayed were remarkable considering the situation with his hand. I STILL get confused as to which hand it was, he does such an amazing job disguising it!

Yeah, James, the Wings are up 3-1 on Chicago! And so many 'Hawks fans thought it'd be a sweep. Take comfort that it seems the Ducks gave us a harder time than Chicago seems to be doing. And the fact that WE have DATSYUK doesn't hurt.

Sepiatone

The Harold Lloyd night was an out-of-the-park grand slam, and the restorations looked sensational. Having Suzanne Lloyd introduce them and talk about her grandfather was another plus. Wow!

Watched all of these shorts last night. My wife isn't a fan of silent pictures so I was waiting for her to say 'do we have to watch this', but instead she said 'cool music', so we ended up watching them all.

Based on what others said below, I understand the music didn't fit the time period of these shorts but I since the jazz music was more modern the wife and I really enjoyed it more than we would of period jazz music.

What also keep we glued to the screen was the quality of the prints. I couldn't believe it! I have seen 30's films that looked way worst than these (especially British films). All and all a great experience that I wasn't expecting.

King Wings will be a very physical series.

> {quote:title=kingrat wrote:}{quote}The Harold Lloyd night was an out-of-the-park grand slam, and the restorations looked sensational. Having Suzanne Lloyd introduce them and talk about her grandfather was another plus. Wow!

I agree!!! The entire night totally rocked the house! I was only able to catch about half of it before sleep caught up with me, but I really didn't want to sleep, I was so into it!!! I will catch the rest tonight or this weekend from the DVR, awesome stuff!

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}The prints of these short films looked stunning, too bad the musical accompaniment was so awful.

> Generic dixieland jazz was really not what these films needed to make the more watchable.

> I am disappointed that the Lloyd Trust did such a poor job with the music for these films.

> They did such a wonderful job with the features. Too bad. I will not be going out and buying the short film set.

Restored silent movies are just as often ruined by poor choice of music as by missing scenes. I didn't get to watch but a few minutes here and there of the Lloyd films last night, but the ones I saw were definitely not helped by the musical accompaniment, which was both bland and repetitious. Too bad, since Lloyd is my favorite silent comedian.

By contrast, the music that accompanies many of the silent era dramas and melodramas helps to set the mood in a much more appropriate manner. I'm thinking specifically of many of the Lon Chaney films like The Penalty, the music behind Von Stroheim's Greed, and the accompaniment to Louise Brooks's Pandora's Box and Diary of a Lost Girl. The musical scores in all of those seemed to have some real thought behind them, unlike those 1919 Lloyd shorts from last night.

> {quote:title=Scottman wrote:}{quote}The prints of these short films looked stunning, too bad the musical accompaniment was so awful.

> Generic dixieland jazz was really not what these films needed to make the more watchable.

> I am disappointed that the Lloyd Trust did such a poor job with the music for these films.

> They did such a wonderful job with the features. Too bad. I will not be going out and buying the short film set.

I'm delighted that you saved your money. However, you made an error in your comment ......

"Disappointed" is an understatement!

The music that was set to these superb silent classics was *wretched* in this particular context -- another understatement.

musikone

(it doesn't require a musikone to assess the appropriateness of this ----)

Edited by: musikone on May 25, 2013 12:03 AM

Edited by: musikone on May 25, 2013 12:05 AM

Silent film music was remarkably diverse during the late teen's throughout the 1920's. It wasn't just Piano and, or Violin, as is often the stereo-type today. Nor Theater Organ in the middle size theaters, or in the larger cities full symphony Orchestra's as you hear TCM Claim in that TCM Fanatics segment.. There were also small house bands of about 5 or 6 players. Jazz Sextet's, and Tango Orchestra's of 9 players.

Musician's played everything from popular Standards, to classics, to specifically composed Photoplay Mood themes. Identifying melodies were used for each important character in the film, some were humorous, others rich and romantic. There was usually a love theme. Tango Orchestra's didn't just perform Tango's. They played Fox-Trot's, Waltz's, Ragtime, and Jazz numbers. But the instrumentation was different and sounded unique even when playing the same numbers as other ensembles. For instance a staple of the Tango Movie Orchestra was the Accordion. A 9 man Tango Movie Orchestra could sound as good of better than Symphony of 50 to 100 people.

In the Giant Movie Palaces the Orchestra and Theater Organist alternated shifts, and on occasion both even played together at the same time.