Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where the Sidewalk Ends

roverrocks

I really enjoyed watching Where the Sidewalk Ends last evening. One of my favorite Dana Andrews flics. Lots of excellent actors in it. Gene Tierney as usual is gorgeous even though I can't say she has ever been one of my favorite actresses. My 22 year old son who is visiting us actually watched the film with me and said it was very good. Usually he won't spend more than 5 minutes on one of my TCM flics. He's video game addicted unfortunately but this time he got into the film. So hard to get many young people to watch the old, great movies.

I also really enjoyed WTSE but the one area I felt it was weak was Tierney's character. I felt the character should of had more spunk and showed more emotion. e.g. when she learns the cops are railroading her father she acts like she has just been told the daily morning newspaper will be coming an hour late! It would of been more realistic for her to be angry at Matt (Dana), and treating him just like another damn cop, at least at the start.

I'm not faulting Tierney for this but instead the screenwriter and director, but I do wonder if it was played this way because the studio was going to cast Andrews and Tierney, period (to try to get a Laura type box office), and the screenwriter and director didn't feel Tierney had the chops for that type of role.

PS: I understand her role wasn't that of a gangster moll or femme fatale, but still,,,,

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on May 15, 2013 4:08 PM

i thourghly enjoyed watching the film noir WHERE THE SIDEWALK ENDS. Dana Andrews is my favorite actor, and it was nice to see him reteam with Gene Tierney. I am disappointed that he will not be included in August SUTS.

I thought the whole movie was confusing and Gary Merrill as Scalise citing to Dixon his own psychological hangups for being a compromised cop was laughable. He has one of his men treat Dixon's gunshot wound after one of his own men shoots Dixon...but yet earlier in the movie in a steam room he himself was ready to brain Dixon with a chair. Silly over-the-top Hecht-Preminger nonsense.