Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE BG FISHERMAN

edgeciff

TCM premiere's the ultra rare THE BIG FISHERMAN tonite. The film was shot in 70MM Panavisiion but lo and behold its a pan and scan version that is telecast. Not only that but the film looks like it need restoration since the color is not very vivid. I just refuse to watch any widescreen film telecast in pan and scan. Five minutes for me and I tune out. I am not sure who owns the rights to this one. I believe Disney distributed originally.

It's the only non-Disney produced film I can think of that Disney's distribution arm Buena Vista released back. IMDb shows the production company as Centurian which I've never heard of and can't find out anything about. For decades, it's only been available from bootleggers and mastered from a very worn 16mm print that had turned pink.

Don't know where TCM got it, but perhaps they had been promised better. It's not the way I'd prefer to watch it, but because it's rare, I'll be interested in seeing it and am glad I recorded it.

>Not being a Christian, what's the deal with "fisherman"?.........

It is a metaphor. I think that somewhere in the NT, Jesus told some fishermen, "come with me and I'll take you to be a fisher of men", or something like that, meaning gathering a following of men.

Matthew 4:19

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.

Matthew 4:18-20 (in Context) Matthew 4 (Whole Chapter)

Similar to the old saying "casting a wide net" and "dragnet".

This is the reason for the small fish symbol stuck on the rear of some cars. These usually are Protestants who use this symbol, since Catholics tend to use a cross symbol. A small fish symbol with legs and feet are sarcastic symbols used by athesits, indicating they believe in evolution and not creation. :)

I could not believe this was made in "Hollywood, USA" as claimed. It had the look and feel of one of those European Biblical epics of the time as did the musical score. I only made it through the first half but was under the weather yesterday so it might not be all the movie's fault. Ben has stated before that Frank Borzage was a committed Catholic and this was his last film so perhaps he deserves an A for effort. I hope to see it again when I feel better and can give it my full attention.

Two of my other favorites, *Francis of Assisi* and A *Man for All Seasons,* were also on but are in my library so I can watch at will. And Fred, you can guess what I am but I've have some of that "fish" jewelry too.

According to the souvenir book, Fisherman was filmed on the property of producer Rowland V. Lee in Southern California. It extolls that that the rock shores and blue waters of the huge lake bordering Lee's property exactly duplicated the environment of the Sea of Galilee and the nearby boulder-strewn hills resembled the traditional area asigned to the Sermon on the Mount.

Filming started on 10/01/58.