Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bride of Frankenstein tonite at 8:00

She's a good 'un. I love it when Karloff looks at Clive and says with a sneer *"Franken-schtein!"* Clive don't like that. My other favorite part is after they cage up the monster in the jail. What follows is the best example of the monster's superhuman strength on film which is explained years later in Son of Frankenstein. What is it that corny burgomeister keeps saying though? Tosh-tosh? :D

I'm lookin forward to seeing this film amd wish Turner would show more of these great films RATHER

then the usual 'things' they insist on showingike ALL SILENTS & other flicks that most have no interest in viewing especially, foreign sub titled --if they must then aire 'A man and a woman'

I'm sorry, I agree with all of you about it being a classic masterpiece and all, but I still can't help but dredge up all the FUN we used to make of it whenever it popped up on the tube in my old "stoner" days.

Like how the "bride" and Joan Crawford had the same hairdresser. AND make-up man.

How, even with the make-up job, Boris as the monster STILL looked better than Elsa's real life hubby, and was more "useful" to boot!

The absuridty that Shelly created THIS story as well.

The wonder of who suggested Elsa use those bird-like head movements when first "coming to life".

That the monster's grunting and lurching towards her was a TRUE "boys will be boys" moment.

I could go on, but it's obvious that I can't recall them all for some reason... ;)

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on May 19, 2013 11:48 AM

I've always found the evolution of Universal's Frankenstein movies quite disappointing. The 2nd Whale film represents the apex and it's downhill after that. Universal's 1930s and 1940s horror genre is somewhat convoluted I've always thought at least with Frankenstein. First you have the 2 James Whale classics followed by Son of Frankenstein which is still very, very good. Karloff's monster no longer talks but still gets a lot across with low mournful moans and that loud growl of his. He's still the Frankenstein monster without or without speech. After that, the real disconnect with what's already been established begins. With the 2nd film Whale moved beyond Shelley anf her story but now without Karloff Universal is completely on it's own with the subject matter. No more Shelley, Whale or Karloff just Lugosi with his colorful Ygor character. Lon Chaney Jr., why not? He's got the frame. No more mister personality just a hulking lumbering homicidal maniac who can still bond with a child. But gone with the 4th film Ghost of Frankenstein is style and any imaginative visuals. Just a story and some events. Ygor gets crushed by his friend the monster and winds up in the monster's body without sight and after a short rampage brings the house down. After that, Universal really gets creative. They decide to pair the Frankenstein monster with the Wolf Man and further distance themselves from James Whale's initial brilliance. Best part of the 5th film is laying the groundwork for future appearances by Larry Talbot. He's dead in his grave but 2 grave robbers insist on opening his crypt and displacing some wolfbane. The wolf man is alive but so is Talbot in a way. Some constable finds him collapsed in a street gutter. Needs medical attention for that skull injury inflicted by his father's cane at the end of The Wolf Man. In this 5th Frankenstein film we learn that Talbot's lycanthropy curse is everlasting!...which means he'll live forever. I suppose that means...I guess...that when human Talbot will be comatose but quite active when in his werewolf state? But no matter, Talbot winds up in a kindly scottish doctor's infirmary. From there Vasaria where Talbot the wolf man drops in on an inactive Frankenstein monster ala Lugosi. It's at this point that Universal introduces us to their most inventive plot device, not Henry or Heinrich or even Victor but rather Doctor Frankenstein's Secrets of Life and Death...in book form. Lugosi's monster knows where it is and points the way to Talbot. Naturally at this point in Universal's scheme of things, it is completely irrelevant to Lugosi's monster that he is now Ygor. Go figure. Lugosi has not a line of dialogue as the Frankenstein monster despite having had a lot to say at the end of Ghost of Frankenstein. At this point somebody really should have reminded Universal of a little something called continuity. Oh well. Some misguided white shirt has promised Larry Talbot release from his condition courtesy of the Frankenstein Secrets of Life and Death book. Some gibberish in the book about the monster having the energy of several lifetimes...that's what keeps him going. White Shirt will drain off Talbot's life energies in reverse fashion. I haven't mentioned the Baronness Frankenstein who loves Talbot. She's in there. In the 6th film House of Frankenstein Karloff returns as a criminal mad scientist with J. Carroll Naish as a murderous malignant hunchback. Talbot shows up again and finds the Frankenstein monster for him ala Glenn Strange. Mad scientist Karloff is now concerned about physical degeneration to the monster's tissues. Before the monster has been blown up and bathed in sulphur. John Carradine whom Universal somehow thinks is seductive and menacing as Count Dracula shows up and is eventually dispatched. The 7th and final installment House of Dracula is really muddled in several ways. Talbot yet again shows up to ask help from Onslow Stevems. Then Dracula shows up wanting help but changes his mind because of a babe. Onslow Stevens explains to Talbot his problem is really psychological and is exasperated by some cranial pressure on the brain that can be remedied by some cranium softening fungi. Once the pressure is gone no werewolf routine. Sure. Cranial pressure. That's why Talbot was in his family tomb for years until those 2 grave robbers revived him at the start of the 5th film. So Onslow Stevens finally cures Larry Talbot? That's why Talbot shows up yet again to plague Chic & Herbie in Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein. :D

I'll 2nd that thought, Fred . :) Brilliant, unforgetable performances by Karloff. I remember watching *Bride of Frankenstein* when I was a little girl (onTV) and crying because Karloff as the Monster was so very touching. I've always told my kids he was my favorite "Monster" . When my kids were young we went to Disney World and Epcot in Orlando. My husband and the kids had quite a surprise for me. I was tapped on the shoulder, I turned and there was "Frankenstein" (the guy was about 7 feet tall.) he moved his hands and said "friend" ? So sweet. I'll always think of Karloff as Frankenstein, as the greatest of all film "Monsters" .

Edited by: lavenderblue19 on May 20, 2013 12:18 AM

Nice summation, Fly. On the FILM history of this subject. I only take exception to the referrence, "beyond Shelly".

Even the original movie was so far removed from Shelly's story that only the NAMES of some of the characters stay intact. Otherwise, one really has nothing to do with the other.

Sepiatone