Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movie About Vinyards (And Wine In General)

sfpcc1

On another thread Miss Wonderly was concerned the the topic of vinyards would creep in to the thread she stated about gardens. That's why i'm starting another thread about vinyards and winemaking in general.

I know there's a movie called *Our Vines Have Tender Grapes* with Edward G Robinson, (I think.) However, I haven't seen it.

Someone mentioned *Sideways* on the other thread, but there's another movie about wine Called *Bottle Shock* which came out a couple of years later. It's a true story about the rise of the Napa Valley wineries in the 70's.

Also, who can forget that I Love Lucy episode with Lucy stomping the grapes in Italy.

Edited by: sfpcc1 on May 18, 2013 9:26 PM

*Our Vines Have Tender Grapes* is only a metaphorical title, and has nothing to do with wine-making. Robinson plays a Norwegian immigrant farmer in Wisconsin during World War II married to Agnes Moorehead and raisnig daughter Margaret O'Brien. It's a good movie, even if does have Margaret O'Brien in the cast.

It's not a movie, but the long-running prime-time soap *Falcon Crest* (starring Jane Wyman) was about a winery.

I believe Charles Laughton plays a Napa grape farmer opposite Carole Lombard in They Knew What They Wanted (1940). I've never seen it (I think it's in some sort of rights-limbo), but Edward G. Robinson did an earlier incarnation too, entitled A Lady to Love (1930).

And I have to admit it - when I saw the thread title, this is the first thing I thought of :^0 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiXEGG8rkyw

*The Secret Of Santa Vittoria*

And TCM is attempting to straighten out the issues surrounding *They Knew What They Wanted*. The film is embargoed because the Frank Loesser estate acquired the story rights when he used the material for the play "Most Happy Fella".

*A Good Year* (2008) might not fall into the category of "classic" film, however, the plot very much revolves around wine, winemaking, vines, vineyards, etc. The cast includes Albert Finney and the story is based on a novel by Peter Mayle (semi-autobiographical?).

I have *A Good Year* on my DVR.

Two other Wine movies are: *Year Of The Comet* With Penelope Ann Miller, Tim Daly, (Wings Private Practice) and Louis Jourdan, also *Blood And Wine* with Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, and Jennifer Lopez, (before she became J Lo.) The Year Of The Comet was directed by Peter Yates. Blood And Wine was directed by Bob Rafelson.

These are all interesting suggestions. Most of the "vineyard" films listed here I have not seen, and now will try and watch out for them.

If this is going to be a thread about vineyards and wine, I just have to talk about *Sideways*. I know it's been mentioned here, but only sort of in passing, and it deserves a lot more than that.

I love *Sideways*. I'd say it was one of my favourite movies ( but we're talking about a list of about a hundred !). There's something about it that makes me feel good, even with all the sad and sometimes awkward scenes in it. There are also many shots of the beautiful, lush, green (and purple !) California vineyard countryside. It's a film that makes me want to be in the actual movie - I want to be there, I want to be sipping delicious, interesting red wine on an enticing winery patio, surrounded by fields of grapevines, lending the colour and scent of sun-warmed grapes to the scene.

Ah yes...

Right, back to *Sideways*. It isn't just the irresistable vineyards setting that I enjoy, it's the characters and the story. These are vivid, unforgettable characters. It helps that the main one is played by Paul Giamatti, one the best actors around today.But theyr'e all good, and all likable -even the Thomas Hayden Church character.

*Sideways* is one of those movies that gives me a feeling near to joy after I've watched it. It's not that it has an obvious "happy ending". It's a modified, realistic "happy ending". A hopeful but not perfect ending, which I prefer to endings that are all neatly tied up with a bow.

Although, as I said, I have not seen most of the other titles cited on this thread, I'm tempted to vote *Sideways* as probably the best movie ever made about wine and wine-making. It's about so much else besides.