Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Watch A NEW LEAF on May 31!

I've been lobbying for A NEW LEAF for years, and now they're finally going to show it. It's hilarious, original, and rare-- good writing, good cast, good jokes-- who could ask for anything more? Not only is it part of TCM's "Second Looks" spotlight-- it's the headlining picture. That's how awesome it is. So don't miss this one!

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/600519|0/Friday-Night-Spotlight-for-May-Second-Looks.html

Have never seen it. I assume this a TCM premiere? I remember when it came out, but I was never a Matthau fan and skipped it.......

Edited by: Hibi on May 22, 2013 4:36 PM

I love this movie and can't wait to see it again. A very funny film. A few years ago, there was talk about a remake with Kevin Kline and Joan Cusack. What a shame that it never happened. The two of them were so great together in "In and Out."

Terrence.

I agree! One of the funniest movies of the time. Elaine May is hysterical.

As for a remake, 9 times out of 10 they do not come close to the original, an exception being Sabrina. I much prefer the remake to the original even though I adore Audrey Hepburn. I might watch a remake of the film, but would expect to be disappointed.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}I've never seen it either. Looking forward to it. What time is it on?

8:00 pm, it's part of the Friday Nocht Spotlight.

Are the choices all the way down to Absolute Beginners Ileanna's choices for der nochte? The films that evening all hail from the more recent past (and of course well-below radar.)

*I wish they'd encore this series during the daytime hours or just encore it period.*

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote} Have any or will any of her choices feature her grandfather (Melvyn Douglas)?

>

No, I don't think a single one has- unless he was under one of those weirdassed get-ups in Alice in Wonderland.

Her choices Fri. night seem to run mostly from the eighties. There's something obscure with David Bowie later on in the evening.

The Bowie movie Ileana is ostensibly showing is called Absolute Beginners and it's on at 2:15 am.

again, really would not mind their encoring this whole series during the afternoon hours.

ps- when I first heard the recent(ish) Bowie song I'm Afraid of Americans I was all "hmm...weird," now it immediately begins to play in my head every time I read some ludicrous news story about the state of things in the country.

A great funny film and I will be watching. So much in it that's funny. Jack Weston as Elaine May's fat shyster lawyer breaking down and sobbing over her impending marriage to Matthau to his pulling out a revolver and telling head maid Doris Roberts and her cohorts to get off the premises is a laugh riot. There they all are waiting for Matthau and May to get back from their tropical honeymoon to shower Matthau with gifts and he unceremoniously pulls out his gun. The whole thing is hilarious.

This really is an underappreciated flick, and I'm so glad Illeana Douglas chose it. Speaking of a remake, I'm against it too unless it's perfectly cast, and I think Douglas herself would be ideal for an updating! Maybe John C. Reilly or Philip Seymour Hoffman in the Matthau role? Otherwise we'd probaby wind up with something more akin to the Farrelly Brothers' updating of Elaine May's THE HEARTBREAK KID. Anyone happy with how THAT turned out?

Joe Walsh

Editor, NitrateStock.net

The man that hath no music in himself,

Nor is moved with the humor of Walter Matthau and Elaine May

Is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils.

-Shakespeare

I hope that viewers remain for the movies which follow it. They were chosen with discernment. I recommend in particular: *Night of the Comet* (1984) which is listed as horror but is truly camp and there is much more humor than horror.

As I posted earlier in the thread, I hadn't planned on watching it. But then I changed my mind and did take a (first) look at it. I thought it was brilliantly made. I can see why it didn't hit big with audiences at the time. I am definitely curious about Miss May's 3-hour original version.