Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Interesting Familial Casting

While playing around with my dream SUTS schedule on TopBilled's thread, it just happened to strike me that Marjorie Main and Eugene Palette's union somehow producing Gene freak'n Tierney in Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait is kinda inherently hilarious:

marjorie-main-heavencanwait-3.jpg

heavencanwait194304.jpg

Don't get me wrong. I adore the movie and wouldn't change a thing about it. I'd simply never thought about it this way before. And apparently, Eugene Palette had some stunning recessive genes or something, because he also managed to sire Gail Patrick and Carole Lombard in My Man Godfrey. :)

s320x240

It also occurred to me that Walter Huston and Gene Tierney played father and daughter on two seperate occasions - in The Shanghai Gesture and Dragonwyck.

So - can you think of some other examples? Either actors who were cast as family members in multiple non-related films (not Lewis Stone and Mickey Rooney ;) ) or stand-alone instances that just strike you as curious.

Yes, it must have been quite a recessive gene that Pallette had. Or else Main fooled around with a good looking milkman, because Tierney came from somewhere!

Palette also 'fathered' Jeanne Crain in Fox's IN THE MEANTIME, DARLING.

And he played Deanna Durbin's uncle in FIRST LOVE.

Ok, this isn't exactly the classical studio era but here I go.

Beverly DeAngelo and Jenny Lewis, (now the leader of the group Rilo Kiley) have played mother daughter in two different movies: Trading Hearts, and the TV movie Sweet Temptation

Besides playing Patti Lupone's daughter on Life Goes On, Kelli Martin has been her kid on two other projects: a TV movie whose name I can't rember, and a episode of Army Wives.

> {quote:title=clore wrote:}{quote}Spencer Tracy and Robert Wagner were a curious father and son in BROKEN LANCE, but as brothers in THE MOUNTAIN they more than strained credulity.

Tracy and Wagner played brothers?!? I didn't know about that one. I don't know the circumstances of the characters, but that seems laughable on it's face.

I guess families can be convoluted, though. My mom has an aunt who's younger than her.

Another father and son combo that's a headscratcher: Claude Rains as Lon Chaney, Jr.'s dad in The Wolfman.

The-Wolf-Man-1941-Claude-Rains-and-Lon-C

Multiple portrayals: Beulah Bondi played James Stewart's mother four times (at least? I feel like I'm forgetting one!) Jane Darwell played Tyrone Power and Henry Fonda's mother in Jesse James and separately in Brigham Young and Grapes of Wrath.

Shifting relationships: Patricia Collinge went from Teresa Wright's sweet, sad aunt in The Little Foxes to her sweet, happy mother in Shadow of a Doubt.

Jessie Royce Landis, who played Grace Kelly's mother twice, went from playing Cary Grant's future mother-in-law (one assumes) in To Catch a Thief to his mother in North by Northwest.

The splendid but sturdy-looking Anne Revere was mother to a number of beautiful children, including Elizabeth Taylor, Montgomery Clift, Jennifer Jones and Gene Tierney.

Edited by: selimsa803 on May 19, 2013 8:06 PM

>

> Jessie Royce Landis, who played Grace Kelly's mother twice, went from playing Cary Grant's future mother-in-law (one assumes) in To Catch a Thief to his mother in North by Northwest.

>

Of course, Jessie would have been all of 7 when she had Cary. :D

I'm sure there are much more egregious examples than that.

Groucho played Zeppo's father in "Horse Feathers". In "Manhattan Melodrama", Mickey Rooney played Clark Gable as a child, apparently because of their strong physical resemblance. In "You Can't Take It With You", Spring Byington played Lionel Barrymore's daughter. Lionel was eight years older than Spring. In "Golden Boy", Lee J. Cobb played William Holden's father. Holden was twenty-one, Cobb was twenty-nine at the time. In "The Sons Of Katie Elder" John Wayne, Dean Martin, Earl Holliman, and Michael Anderson Jr. played bothers. John Wayne was thirty-six years older than Michael Anderson Jr. Katie Elder should be in the Guinness Book Of World Records.

Funny but I was at a grad party last night and the oldest mother in the group had 14 kids where the difference between the oldest and youngest was 30 years. After I heard this I said 'I wonder what the Guinness Book Of World Records says about this'.

For a women I assume 35 or so would be tops (e.g. first kid at 14, last one at 49), but for a man I assume it is 60 or more years!

The was a movie in 1989 called Family Business where Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman, and Matthew Broderick play Grandfather, son, and grandson respectively. Sean Connery is seven years older than Dustin Hoffman.

On The TNT Dallas Reboot Judith Light, (Whose The Boss) plays Mitch Pileggi's, (Skinner from the X Files) mother. Judith Light is three years older than Mitch Pileggi.

)

Edited by: sfpcc1 on May 19, 2013 10:23 PM

On the other hand, even though they WERE somewhat attractive, you'd figure the two older daughters of JIMMY STEWART and MAUREEN O'HARA in *Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation* would be better looking.

One would think ROB and LAURA PETRI'S son would be cuter, and NOT such a dork!

KIM NOVAK and SUSAN STRASBERG in *Picnic* look like half-sisters at best.

But, if LIZ TAYLOR could be SPENCER TRACY'S daughter, anything is possible!

Sepiatone

Bing Crosby got a young girl in real life, also. His wife Kathryn Grant was 30 years younger. He stood her up at the altar a couple of times because he was reluctant to marry anyone so young, but finally when she wouldn't see him or answer his calls any more he wrote her a letter saying he would marry her anywhere any time. She framed it. After they were married it hung in their bedroom ever after.

It was noted by a poster in some other thread that Hugh Griffith was unlikely as the father of Audrey Hepburn in: *How to Steal a Million* (1966).

I do not notice age difference in marriages much as two of one of my uncle's wives were much younger than he and one of my classmates in school married a teacher.

> {quote:title=Dothery wrote:}{quote}James Ellison was 30 when he played 27-year-old Laird Cregar's son in the Jack Benny version of "Charley's Aunt."

I always find it so hard to wrap my brain around the fact that Cregar was only 31 when he died.

Just thinking - Natalie Wood had a pretty interesting roster of moms over the years - Gene Tierney, Maureen O'Hara, Bette Davis, Rosalind Russell . . . just off the top of my head.

And here's an example of family casting that seems star-aligned: perky blonde beauties Betty Grable and June Haver as The Dolly Sisters -

tumblr_mevl0qnovF1r6lg0yo1_500.png

I had to laugh when I put a disc into the DVD player last night, and who do I see but Eugene Pallette. This time it was THE FOREST RANGERS, a Technicolor production from Paramount. I had forgotten he was in it. And he plays Paulette Goddard's father in this one!