Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Outfit: chock full of faces.

slaytonf

Saw this movie a long time ago. It's ok. Like Lee Marvin in Point Blank, Robert Duvall wants his money. I didn't know when I saw it, just whoall was in it:

Robert Ryan--with not nearly enough screen time

Timothy Carey, that very strange actor you remember from The Killing

Richard Jaekel was Sargeant Bowren in The Dirty Dozen

Sheree North, playing the best **** I've ever seen

Marie Windsor, a great lady of noir, notably of Narrow Margin and The Killing

Jane Greer! I didn't see her

Elisha Cook, Jr., also of--guess--The Killing

Anita O'Day, a wonderful jazz songstress

Archie Moore, world light-heavyweight champion

Emile Meyer, who played Rufus Ryker, the heavy in Shane

I actually prefer it to Point Blank.

According to Wikipedia it was originally to have been set in the '40s, and that's why so many familiar noir faces were cast.

Robert Ryan--with not nearly enough screen time

Timothy Carey, that very strange actor you remember from The Killing

Richard Jaekel was Sargeant Bowren in The Dirty Dozen

Sheree North, playing the best **** I've ever seen

Marie Windsor, a great lady of noir, notably of Narrow Margin and The Killing

Jane Greer! I didn't see her

She plays the wife of Duvall's murdered brother -- Duvall visits her early on

Elisha Cook, Jr., also of--guess--The Killing

Anita O'Day, a wonderful jazz songstress

Archie Moore, world light-heavyweight champion

Emile Meyer, who played Rufus Ryker, the heavy in Shane

Don't forget Roy Roberts (head gangster in Force Of Evil), who has a teeny tiny cameo as a country sheriff

And Felice Orlandi (a thug in The Harder They Fall) plays a thug named... Orlandi.

Orlandi had a curious history. At one point in the '60s he was a gofer for Dr. Max Jacobson, the infamous "Dr Feelgood" who allegedly shot up (with speed), among others, Alan Jay Lerner, as well as Alan's old Harvard classmate JFK.

>RichardKimble:

>She plays the wife of Duvall's murdered brother -- Duvall visits her early on

! I am devastated for not recognizing her!

Thanks for identifying the extra faces.

I hope you had your grain of salt with you when you consulted Wiki. Interestingly, it seems both movies were adapted by novels from Richard Stark, Point Blank from The Hunter, and The Outfit from--The Outfit.

I must respectfully say I don't agree with you on your rating of the movies. No, not at all.

Well I also prefer Point Blank just a little more than The Outfit mainly because I prefer the male and female stars of the former over the latter, but both are good post noir era, noir type color movies. (and folks see that I say 'noir type color' so no one needs to tell me they can't be noir because they are in color).

But yea, The Outfit was clock full of noir icons. The happy ending was somewhat odd but fairly typical of the era and a clear example of a post Hays code endings.

Richard Stark is a pen name of Donald E. Westlake, who wrote lighter caper fare, like "The Hot Rock" under his real name. He wrote a procedural series about a professional thief named Paker under the appropriately name of Stark.

Aside from "The Outfit" and "Point Blank", Parker's name was always changed for some reason until Taylor Hackford's "Parker" starring Jason Statham. In "Payback" Mel Gibson's character was named Porter. In "Slayground" Peter Coyote's character was named Stone.

I've never reasoned why Ross MacDonald's great detective Lew Archer was changed to "Harper" either.

> Elisha Cook, Jr., also of--guess--The Killing

I don't know whether he'd be better remembered as Wilmer the gunsel from *The Maltese Falcon*. Of course, I also tend to remember him as Marilyn Monroe's uncle in *Don't Bother to Knock*

Right about Spade's partner being a bad detective, James. But MacDonald's Lew Archer is a great one and there are a whole series of books of his cases. I thought perhaps Newman may have wanted another movie title that began with an "H" and changed it from Archer to Harper, but later read that wasn't the case.

By the way does anyone recall the name of the film sequel to "The Maltese Falcon"?

I have read at least 10 of the MacDonald Archer books and yes he was a stud, but since the 41 version of The Maltese Falcon is often sited as being THE detective movie for the ages, maybe the producers of Harper didn't wish to have any association with the name Archer. Anyhow it was just a wild guess and the only thing I could think of. As for your 'H' theory, is that related to the movie Hud? (as in another movie with a title with a single name, starting with 'H', since Hud was a hit for Newman?).

The name of the sequel was called The Black Bird with George Segal (but it was a spoof and not really a sequel).

Regarding Newman, I was thinking along the lines of "The Hustler" and "Hud". I know "Hombre" came later.

You're right about "The Black Bird" being a spoof and not a true sequel, but I recall that the ads referred to the original film.

Well Cook's part in The Killing was a bigger one than in The Maltese Falcon and especially his part in The Big Sleep, but my guess is that both of these Bogie movies are more well known than The Killing (except maybe to diehard noir fans,, which I'm one of).