Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"JOHN FORD, JOHN WAYNE, BURT KENNEDY, and YELLOWSTONE KELLY".

lanetemple

Anyone who is a fan of the Western Film Genre should know who Burt Kennedy was. Anyway, in 1958 Burt Kennedy was commissed by Warner Bros Pictures to write a screen-play for Heck Allen's novel entitled ..Yellowstone Kelly..and the intention was for John Ford and John Wayne to make a film out of the script. By the way, Luther "Yellowstone" Kelly was NOT a fictional character and of course Duke Wayne would play Yellowstone Kelly. So, Burt sent the script to Mr Ford and according to Burt, Mr Ford liked the script very much. Now at this time the Duke was in Japan doing some location work for a dreadful picture called..."THE BARBARIAN and THE GEISHA" and Mr Ford sent him the script there but I got the feeling that Duke didn't like the script and when he returned to the States he and Mr Ford made the wonderful ..."THE HORSE SOLDIERS" ..and they passed on "YELLOWSTONE KELLY"

Looking back on it now alot of people still remember THE HORSE SOLDIERS...but few remember YELLOWSTONE KELLY. lol

Anyway, Burt and Warner Bros were very disappointed by the turn of events and according to Burt, Warner Bros. cut about 4 million dollars out of the budget when they heard the news that Mr Ford and the Duke wouldn't do the film. However, Warner Bros. kept the script and they cast Clint Walker as Yellowstone Kelly and Edd Brynes as a character named Anse Harper. Sometimes I think how Mr Ford would have made that film, of course he would have used his "Stock Company" but it's hard to say what actor he would have play Anse Harper, maybe Edd Brynes but I doubt it.

In conclusion, the movie was directed by Gordon Douglass and the final print is just another B western but the cinematography is purdy and sometimes the film looks nice and I must say that Clint Walker played Kelly with dignity. Anyway, if you ever see it coming on Television check it out and especially on a rainy Saturday when you have nothing to do but dust off your flower-box.

If I'm lying, I'm dying....no brag...just fact!

All the Best!

Lane Temple

Lane and terrence: *Encore Westerns* does show it often along with most of the WB Westerns of the 1050s. I liked the movie and the performances of Clint Walker and John Russell but think Peter Brown would have made a better Anse. Edd Byrnes did make several *Cheyenne* and *Maverick* episodes but didn't seem to fit the genre as well as Brown did. And didn't they have colored contact lenses back then so Andra Martin would have made a more believable Arapaho? The scenery was beautiful as in most Warnercolor films and the score stayed with me all these years before I saw it again after 50 years. I give it a B+ and recommend it

This backstory was interesting. It's similar to another Western Burt Kennedy wrote, *Seven Men from Now,* which Wayne was also suppossed to star in for his Batjac Productions but a scheduling conflict got in the way. Randolph Scott and Budd Boetticher ended up doing it but Lee Marvin stole the movie as the likable vilian you're sorry to see bite the dust. I can see both Scott and Wayne as Stride; don't ask me to choose.

I usually associate Burt Kennedy with the more comic Westerns he wrote later on in his career so these movies are chances to see his work in more traditional veins. My movie educations never ends.

Well thank U Terence for missing me and I missed you also. How have you been?...good I hope. Myself? well, a few days ago I had a loose hair down in my lower back region but thank God it's gone now.....<SIGH>

Yeah, "YELLOWSTONE KELLY" appears on Encore from time to time so I will look forward to your comments. Also Terrence, check out a film called "FORT DOBBS" with was also written by Burt Kennedy and starred Clint Walker, Virginna Mayo, Brian Keith and that WONDERFUL young actor named Richard Eyer.

All the BEST!...talk to you later!!

Lane

HOWDY wouldbestar,

I agree, I also think Peter Brown would have been a good Anse and Warner Bros used the same people that were under contract at the time. Yes, I liked the "look" of the film also and I recommend it also but only as a "B"

Yes, "SEVEN MEN FROM NOW" is excellent and the reason the Duke couldn't do it was he was up in Monument Valley filming the great John Ford's..."THE SEARCHES".

Yes!....Burt Kennedy was a funny man and I think that his .."SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL SHERIFF" is a classic Western comedy....FUNNY!

All the BEST,

Lane

*Fort Dobbs* has been Encore a lot lately, in fact I just saw it last week. I forgot Burt Kennedy wrote this one as well but it was a good story. It was Clint Walker's first lead feature and he impressed me very much in it. I've always thought he was underrepresented as an actor. He often said Gary Cooper was his inspiration - he even got to do a *Cheyenne* episode based on *Springfield Rifle* - and I think he got pretty close to Mr. C. I think Richard Eyre became a director.

*Gold of the Seven Saints* with Walker and Roger Moore is also interesting; this came at the end of his time at WB and you can tell they didn't put a lot of care into it production wise. The story is different and has comic undertones which Walker flows with and comes out faring pretty well. You might want to catch it.

wouldbestar,

I did not know that Clint Walker was a buddy of Gary Cooper....interesting.

When I was a gosson in the early 1960's I thought that Richard Eyer was the greatest "young" actor I had ever saw lol... and then it seems that he just disappeared. Then about 2 years ago I saw him in old Gunsmoke episode with John Larch and I decided to check out what he was doing and he gave up acting in the late 1960's and became a school teacher in California.

Yes, saw GOLD of the SEVEN SAINTS...not bad... B Western.

Lane Temple

Thank you, Lane for the correction. I wondered if that director might be a different Richard Eyer and figured somebody would set me straight on who was who.

I don't know if they ever met but Walker said Cooper was his favorite actor. Both were men of few words on screen but what they said went a long way and got their points accross and without a lot of excess violence. That last one is something another current "strong, silent type" didn't get after he left TV for movies-no name needed.

:0 Tom Selleck? Are you kidding? Sam Elliott and he singlehandedly brought back the Western genre in the 80s and 90s. I love their work. *Conagher* especially is a classic!

I thought the "no name" reference would tell you I meant Clint Eastwood's "Spaghetti Westerns" which were light on plot but loaded with violence and moral ambiguity. I didn't want his fans coming after me in case they're as loyal as John Wayne's when he's criticized-hold it, Pilgrims, I'm more on your side than I used to be. Most of those foreign movies couldn't catch the fact that it was these conflicts over what was right or wrong and not the gunplay that made Westerns uniquely American and in themselves.

Howdy wouldbestar,

I don't think I made myself clear regarding Tom Selleck. I meant his career on the BIG screen, not on Television.

I have no problem if some of Clint Eastwood' fans come after me re: his 3 "Spaghett Westerns". I think they were trash then and they have got worse NOW. That's MY humble opinion. lol

All the BEST!

Lane Temple