Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trixie Friganza

sfpcc1

Did anyone watch the short My Bag Of Trix with Trixie Figanza? That was odd. I got a feeling she played the houses that couldn't afford The Marx Brothers or Frannie Brice. I don't think there going to make a musical about her life. (Then again my friend saw a musical about the Patty Hearst kidnapping so who knows.) The weirdest part was when her song she sang on the bass fiddle mentioned Eugenics. I know 1929 was a different world but , Eugenics?

I did see this yesterday and happened to like it. It was made in 1929, and it was like getting a rare opportunity to see parts of an old Vaudeville show. Thumbs up to TCM for showing it.

I first became aware of Trixie Friganza last fall when Buster Keaton was SOTM. She plays Anita Page's mother in FREE AND EASY. And she's hilarious.

As an artifact, so to speak, of what Friganza's vaudeville act would have been like, it's quite fascinating viewing My Bag O Trix, I think. I thought the material was rather awful (she wouldn't survive America's Got Talent today, I suspect) but Friganza had a ton of personality. Am I alone in thinking that she reminds one of Marie Dressler, both physically as well as in comic expressiveness.

There's quite a writeup on her on Wikipedia, for those interested. She was quite the feminist and had a long show biz career before health problems ended it.

vitaphone-trixie.jpg

>Am I alone in thinking that she reminds one of Marie Dressler, both physically as well as in comic expressiveness.

Maybe that's why I like her so much. She did not make very many feature films, unfortunately. She easily could have become a character/lead actress like Dressler.

According to my Funk&Wagnalls, Eugenics is described as "A science that deals with the improvement(as by control of human mating)the hereditary qualities of a race or breed".

Sounds like the archaic practice utilized by wealthy families to insure all of their heirs come from "good stock"; like the idea a son or daughter MUST marry the "right sort of person". Or furthering the notion that all "races" be kept seperate. I didn't see the film or hear the song, so I don't know in which context the word was used.

Sepiatone