Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove Hard TO!! Week of Sat, May 25-Sun, June 2!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To! Week of Sat, May 25 through Sun, June 2!!

Hope everyone has had an awesome week! And are you ready for the weekend?? I know I am and then some!!! Woooot!! Long weekend with lots to catch up on with TCM this past week, lots of groovy flix, early talkies, pre-codes, silents, noir and gangster flix!!! Wow!! Let's see what TCM has in store for us for the coming week!

First the holiday weekend, filled with war flix! I used to dig them more than I do now, but I do have a few grooves I'll be focusing on.

First up, 6am on Sat, is the pre-code HELL BELOW (1933), with Robert Montgomery, Walter Huston and Madge EVans!!! Later that night, at 1am EST, I'll be digging on the pre-code flick, MEN MUST FIGHT (1933), a very intriguing flick, with some prescient sci-fi elements, stars Diana Wynyard, Lewis Stone, Phillips Holmes, and May Robson!! This is followed by a flick I've never seen before and have a curiosity about, DEEP SIX (1958) with Alan Ladd, Dianne Foster and William Bendix!!

The Silent Sunday feature is one I've not seen before, THE COWARD (1915) with Franke Keenan!

My weekly grooves kick in hard later in the week, with Thursday's daytime lineup of originals and remakes! It actually kicks off with the excellent documentary on Cagney, JAMES CAGNEY: TOP OF THE WORLD (1992) at 6am EST! Then it's Cagney showing up in THE MAYOR OF HELL (1933) with the lovely Madge Evans, Allen Jenkins, Frankie Darro, and Dudley Digges! It rocks!! And is remade in 1938 as CRIME SCHOOL with Bogie, Gale Page and The Dead End Kids!!! Then it's the luscious and elegant Constance Bennett, along with Neil Hamilton and Helen Vinson in the pre-code TWO AGAINST THE WORLD (1932), followed by Bogie doing the honors again with the remake, same title, from 1936, though it often goes by ONE FATAL HOUR. However, I do have a question here: isn't this a remake of FIVE STAR FINAL instead??? :) Then it's LIBELED LADY (1936) and EASY TO WED (1946), then FIVE CAME BACK (1939) and BACK FROM ETERNITY (1956)!! Dig it!

Thursday night, I'll be curious to check out the Eastwood documentary, which airs at 8pm and then again at 11:15pm!!

Friday daytime, I'll be totally groovin' to the noir/crime flick, PICKUP ALLEY (1957) airing at 1:15pm, starring Victor Mature, Anita Ekberg (be still my beating heart!!) and Trevor Howard! Also just before this, if you haven't seen it, I'd recommend checking out Trevor Howard along with Richard Widmark and Jane Greer in RUN FOR THE SUN (1956) which is a loose remake of the classic THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME from 1932!!

Saturday morning, June 1, there are a lot of beasts rumming amok! First it's BEAST FROM THE HAUNTED CAVE (1959) low budget cult classic!! Then it's THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953) with Paula Raymond, Paul Christian and Cecil Kellaway!!!

At 10:45am, the Falcon series returns after a hiatus for the holiday, with THE FALCON IN DANGER (1943). Here, Tom Conway is really hitting his stride in the role his brother started for him in the first 4 films of the series! I dig him so much in this, really love this series!

Hope everyone has a totally groovy weekend and week ahead, and again, thanks to TCM for these awesome-tastic flix!!!

I am very happy to see your post.

I am much less happy that you did not call attention to: *Cranes Are Flying* (1957) as TCM Import as it is a beautiful and wonderful movie.

It is sad to say that our schedule for most of the week is unmarked of movies to watch until Friday night. *A New Leaf* (1971) is definitely groovalicious. *The Night of the Comet* (1984) is also very much worthy of note as it is camp comedy to an nth degree with certain points which are startling in their depth.

It is sad also that the description for: *The Falcon in Danger* (1943) was written by a person who has no idea of the plot of the movie. I believe it is perhaps the best of the Tom Conway as The Falcon movies.

I thank you for calling attention to other movies which I may have missed in perusing the schedule. :)

SansFin thank you! :)

I will check out CRANES ARE FLYING!!! Thank you for your recommendation!

I totally agree with you regarding Tom Conway in THE FALCON IN DANGER! He really hits his stride with this one, I believe!

I hope you have a really wonderful weekend and week ahead!

markbeckuaf said...

Then it's the luscious and elegant Constance Bennett, along with Neil Hamilton and Helen Vinson in the pre-code TWO AGAINST THE WORLD (1932), followed by Bogie doing the honors again with the remake, same title, from 1936, though it often goes by ONE FATAL HOUR. However, I do have a question here: isn't this a remake of FIVE STAR FINAL instead???

The 1936 title TWO AGAINST THE WORLD is a remake of FIVE STAR FINAL (1931), this time set in a radio station. But when these movies were sold to TV in the late 1950's they changed the title on the prints of the remake to ONE FATAL HOUR to avoid confusion with the 1932 movie TWO AGAINST THE WORLD which was also in the same TV package. The 1932 movie TWO AGAINST THE WORLD has absolutely no other connection to the 1936 movie of that title.

markbackuaf said...

The Silent Sunday feature is one I've not seen before, THE COWARD (1915) with Frank Keenan!

I love silent movies, but must admit sometimes have a little trouble getting into the very early ones (pre-1920's) much as I appreciate their historical importance. But when I saw THE COWARD on TCM a couple of years ago I found it very interesting and easy to follow and enjoy. I hope you will, too.

By the way, star Frank Keenan (acccording to IMDb) is the grandfather of Keenan Wynn, and the father-in-law of Ed Wynn.

Oh wow, I totally spaced mentioning a flick in the "Libel" theme for next Saturday night, at 1:30am EST, SUED FOR LIBEL (1940) a B-flick from RKO studios! Kent Taylor, Thurston Hall, Keye Luke, Linda Hayes, Morgan Conway all turn out for this coolio flick! Don't miss it!!! I know I won't!

And thank you, TCM, for flix like these, they so rock!