Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Rain People

Sepiatone

Anyone here wake up early enough, or stay up late enough to watch this debacle?

I could only take a half hour of this treacle. It was supposed to have James Caan and Robert duvall in the cast, but at the point I had enough, they've yet to show up.

I found it hard to accept as a Coppola movie. Did it ever pick up? It seemed as pointless and directionless as Shirley Knight's character in the movie.

The saddest part was that in the late '60's-early '70's, movie houses were chock full of this kind of crap!

Sepiatone

Sepiatone, I kind of liked *The Rain People*. It's very "70s", maybe that's why you didn't like it. It certainly displays the aesthetics and general attitude of the 70s, including very long-paced scenes with seemingly little point or action, and the vagueness of purpose which seemed to prevail in that decade - at least in movies.

What you have to do with this kind of film is accept the slow pace and just let the story and characters unfold at their leisure. If you didn't even wait til the James Cain character showed up, then you didn't give it much of a chance.

It's actually quite a sad and sweet little movie, and all the leads give nuanced and memorable performances.

I've reconsidered this thread and concluded it probably had more to do with it being 4:30 am than anything else. If I can catch it again at a more decent hour, I'll give it another chance.

Sepiatone