Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just why the hell must they program these early 30's flicks that are so bad and then slip in a silent which they all should remain just that --SILENT & begone for good. I' Ve always felt that way. I've said it before, TURNER ought to shut down & purchase some more up to date films like many from the 40's & 50's; especially those thriller-horror OR syfy. OK?

Silent films are my life's blood! Harold Lloyd Rules! Leo is a Putz! Seriously you have never wattched THE BIG PARADE from start to finish or you would not be so dismissive against Silents. That is the real art of Epic Movie making at it's finest.

Isn't it silly to want a company to 'shut down' but then purchase product?

Oh, and the reason TCM shows those 30's films is because many studio era fans enjoy them. And yes, we have heard you say this before and I suspect we will again.

Here is hoping TCM ignores your request.

I just caught the last 20 minutes of The Secret Six. I found it fascinating, well done, great cast, well shot. Wish I had recorded it! Harlow on the witness stand -- what a performance!

James is right! There are 'Others' who do like Silents and 30s movies and we need to respect that! I have never seen a Silent movie, however, that does not mean they should not be available for those who do like them.

If you do not like TCM, then don't subscribe to it!!

Twink

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}I just caught the last 20 minutes of *The Secret Six. *I found it fascinating, well done, great cast, well shot. Wish I had recorded it! Harlow on the witness stand -- what a performance!

The Secret Six is a true classic. "A bottle of cow" may be my favorite Wallace Beery line ever, and I also love the idea of Bellamy playing a gangster who all of the qualities of a dog, except loyalty. This is the second time in just the last nine days that it's been shown here, and while it's not NBNW or Splendor in the Grass, it usually plays at least once or twice a year.

A note of warning to anyone recording the overnight Harold Lloyds: As is often the case, the printed Now Playing guide schedule is way off. If you're programming your recorder, be sure to use the current online schedule (which itself has been revised since it first appeared in March) and not the printed one. I just noticed this about an hour ago, and I'm glad that I did.

Oh, and Leo, get a life, or at least come up with a complaint that's a bit more original than the broken record you've been playing for what seems like forever.

> {quote:title=leobertucelli wrote:}{quote} TURNER ought to shut down & purchase some more up to date films like many from the 40's & 50's;

Yes, we all need to see up to date films................ from the 1940s................ :^0

I wonder what Hooch outta do?

I generally subscribe to the philosophy of not feeding the trolls, but as someone who takes great delight in the pre-code and silent gems I've discovered, I will say a hearty "thank you" to TCM for the opportunity to see films I have no other access to.

Sci-fi isn't really my thing, but that doesn't mean TCM shouldn't ever show it (you'll have to take my word, but trust me, my eyes are rolling!).

I apologize for calling Leo a Putz. Not a very strong word. Anyone who was offended, I'm sorry. But for crying out loud he has been complaining on and off about TCM showing Silent movies since 2002 on these boards. That gets old after a time. And never once has he every set down to actually watch a great Silent and try to understand it. He just refuses to give them a chance. Silent film was a completely different Art form then that of Sound movies. A highly profound one in it's own right.

Take Alfred Hitchcock, several of his favorite movies were Silents.

gagman, You should Not have to apologize to someone who is clearly insensitive to others !

We all have our personal choices when it comes to movies on TCM and as I have mentioned before, that should be respected !

Twink

Say, GAGMAN; I have tried but never saw anything resembling a ' talkie'. And the soundtrack sounds like a cartoon. I have watched but think they ought to aire a few minutes of a few SILENTS and then be done with it. And further, silents are not so relative to all that is going on, period & the end! Ok? I prefer films from the 40 and 50's, as opposed to anciet silents. Thay all were fine then, but not now! Also, Keaton & Lloyd may have been eye poppong when originally released however, those 2 were never appreciated at this time...

Leo,

I encourage you to sit down and watch a great Lubitsch Silent such as THE STUDENT PRINCE IN OLD HEIDELBERG, or Frank Borzage's SEVETH HEAVEN, Or maybe a powerful Anti-War drama like BARBED WIRE, and then try to tell me that Silents were not a great artform. Have you seen F. W. Murnau's FAUST (1926)? It literally looks like a renaissance painting sprung to life.

For the record, I was not at all happy with the scoring of most of the debuting Harold Lloyd shorts last night. Many people weren't. Lloyd would not have been either. Even though some of it was Walter Scharf's music to the 1960's re-issue of THE FRESHMAN, which he bought and paid for, and I like those melodies, they were used way out of context for different films. Not the movie that they had been composed for. Sticking those five Jazz meoldies in willy-nilly to some long unseen one reelers made in the late Teen's made no sense.

Everyone has preferences. That isn't the issue here. The issue is when someone insults other for their preferences as well as TCM. The programmer was NOT asleep (as in a fool). Instead they just showed movies that some people don't enjoy.

I'm sure that no one at this forum is 100% happy with every choice the TCM programmers make. But I don't see them creating threads that insult the programmers because they don't get their way 100% of the time.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}I apologize for calling Leo a putz. Not a very strong word. Anyone who was offended, I'm sorry.

Putz

(n) a stupid, ignorant person; someone who doesn't pay attention to anything going on; one who makes stupid remarks.

I just don't get this Leo person. Why does he want to turn TCM into Spike or HBO? Why not just watch Spike or HBO and leave TCM alone? I didn't like silents until I began to watch TCM. Viewing Silent Sunday Nights I grew an appreciation for them. Like gagman said, it's a totally different kind of artform. I think I've grown an appreciation of all kinds of films by viewing TCM. You just need an open mind.

Leo has made it clear he likes movies from the 40's and 50's so, yea, you're correct that Spike or HBO wouldn't cut it (as well as the reasons you site.

I would guess that a majority of TCM's programming is devoted to films from those decades.

As Harold Lloyd is currently number 1 on the TCM Movie Data Base searches, allot of people must have watched on Thursday evening. It's to bad that the majority of his films are out of print on DVD in America right now. With SAFETY LAST coming on Blu-ray next month for the first time.

Usually I don't post much on TCM, even though I visit the site everyday whilst drinking coffee.

That said, I respect everyone's taste in films, but this sense of entitlement has to diminish, can't we just get along and enjoy watching what TCM shows on their channel?

I love Silent films more than talkies, but I appreciate the variety and content the station provides.

Also there are some malcontents as well among silent film fans who tend to belittle soundtracks and/or their composers on Silent films, and are very vocal and sometimes abusive in their opinions of them.

Guess there will be someone pinching someone else to get a reaction.

Overall, I will always be grateful for TCM.

NO one can top this station as far as classic and "old" films are concerned.

Thank you TCM.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}One problem I have with silents is that, with all the distractions in my life, and all the things on my mind, I find it more difficult to concentrate on the film. Dialog is one of the things that keeps my concentration on the film.

Silent films are their own animal. I find that watching one engages my brain in a unique manner. They can have a dreamy, almost hypnotic quality.

Of course, they are good and bad silent films, just like anything else. I don't know how anyone can criticize TCM in good faith for playing for playing too many. The majority of films shown are indeed golden-era Hollywood.

Actually, I wonder which decade's films do get the most airings. I would suspect either the 40s or 50s most months.

I really like these Lloyd shorts because caption cards were not used much in them. Thus the movie had a flow to it. Caption cards really slow down the flow of the movie and hinder any type of "dreamy, almost hypnotic quality" for me.

Thus silent movies where the plot requires 'too much' dialog just cannot hold me.

> {quote:title=NoraCharles1934 wrote:}{quote}

> >

> Actually, I wonder which decade's films do get the most airings. I would suspect either the 40s or 50s most months.

Just one small and personal sampling, but of the movies I've recorded since 2009, the titles from the 1930's easily outnumber those from the 40's and 50's. I suspect in part it's because the short running time of many of the pre-codes enables TCM to fit more titles into the alloted time slot.

OTOH I think if you go by the total number of screenings, as opposed to number of separate titles, the 50's would show up stronger, since it seems as if a disproportionate number of the endless repeats we get here are the wide screen color films from the late 40's through the early 60's.

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}I really like these Lloyd shorts because caption cards were not used much in them. Thus the movie had a flow to it. Caption cards really slow down the flow of the movie and hinder any type of "dreamy, almost hypnotic quality" for me.

>

> Thus silent movies where the plot requires 'too much' dialog just cannot hold me.

Well, I would probably argue that the better silent films do use title cards sparingly. The ultimate example I suppose being Murnau's The Last Laugh which has no "dialogue" and I believe only one explanatory title (I'm embarrassed to say I haven't actually seen it yet - I know, I know, I will get to it! :8} ).

Useless bit of trivia: at the first Academy Awards, there was an category for "Best Title Writing." It was discontinued by the next year.

Well it is a completely unrelated question but should one always use the 'gue' ending? Note that I checked Webste'rs dictionary and it said: *di·a·logue* also *di·a·log*

So it looks like using 'dialog' is acceptable, but I do notice that most people here use 'dialogue'. At first I felt that they were just trying to imply they were French! :)

One can place comments in the Webster site and someone asked; when is it preferred to use a 'gue' ending or not?

They listed other words like analog and analogue.

Oh, and your best title card info was cool, but I don't know if one should be too proud of getting that award!