Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

POP!

slaytonf

{font:arial, helvetica, sans-serif}

In the background of some of the beach shots in By the Sad Sea Waves, you will notice a Pier with a roller coaster super structure and other buildings. That must be Pacific Ocean Park, an amusment park in Santa Monica built in the 20s and lasting until the 60s. I remember going there as a child for family outings and having frozen bananas.

{font}

Yep, I think it was probably P.O.P., slayton. I remember it well, also. As a kid growing up in the South Bay section of Greater L.A., we'd often take our relatives visiting from "back east" to that amusement park, along with of course to Marineland of the Pacific which was located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, not to mention Disneyland and Knott's Berry Farm "way out there" in Orange County when it was TRULY a county filled with orange groves.

(...and btw, you probably know that P.O.P. was where the "one-armed man Fred Johnson" finally received his just deserts on the final episode of "The Fugitive")

{font:arial, sans-serif}{size:12px}What U putting in your nose?{font}{font:arial, sans-serif}{size:12px}Is that where all your money goes?{font}{font:arial, sans-serif}{size:12px}The river of addiction flows{font}{font:arial, sans-serif}{size:12px}U think it's hot, but there won't be no water

When the fire blows! {font}

Dude! Maybe you already know this, but Pacific Ocean Park closed YEARS before that crazy little Minnesotan twerp wrote that little ditty about Cocaine usage!

(...and trust me here...I know EXACTLY how crazy that little Minnesotan twerp IS, after boarding the crazy little twerp on many a Northwest Airlines LAX-MSP flight over the years and before I retired!!!)

LOL

Edited by: Dargo2 on May 23, 2013 10:43 PM

You know, there were some series I watched when they were on, and some I did not. Don't ask me why, I wouldn't be able to tell you. Bonanza was one, Gunsmoke and The F. B. I. were others. Also The Fugitive. Though I did like Harry O.

But POP was still open, I think, though considerably run down, when the Beach Boys sang about it.

Well, in THAT case heuriger, what say we leave those superfluous "U"'s to the Brits and the Canadians!

(...why you ask?!...so they can spell words like "color", "labor", "flavor", "favorite" and a whole mess of OTHER words that of course really don't NEED 'em!!!) ;)

LOL

Well, OF COURSE I don't like short people! And ya know WHY?! 'Cause...

They got little hands

Little eyes

They walk around

Tellin' great big lies

They got little noses

And tiny little teeth

They wear platform shoes

On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People

Don't want no Short People

Don't want no Short People

`Round here

(..uh huh...so ya think YOU are the only person who can post song lyrics 'round here?) ;) LOL

Though of course, while I DO actually like a few of Prince's songs, his diminutive stature has little to do with why I think he's one crazy little twerp.

n. Slang. A person regarded as insignificant and contemptible. [Origin unknown.] twerp, twirp [twɜːp]. n. Informal a silly, weak-minded, or contemptible person

My bad, twerp does not refer to someone's height.

Well good. Now that we've established THAT, I suppose we can move on to the NEXT issue....which would be...

What gave you the impression that I was a "dudette"?

Okay, a "metrosexual male" MAYBE, but NOT a "dudette"!!!

LOL ;)

(...btw, I had NO idea that "twerp" could be spelled with an "i" instead of an "e"...so thanks at least for THAT, anyway...though I think I'll still continue to spell it with the "e", all things considered)

Edited by: Dargo2 on May 23, 2013 11:38 PM

Okay. His usual boarding procedure was that he and little entourage (saaay...is there one of those superfluous U's in the word "entourage" there???...but I digress) insisted that he be boarded last and always in seat 1A, and he'd always get special permission to walk up the jetway stairs from the ramp, so that the public wouldn't see him.

PLUS, the little twerp would STILL wear his little hoodie over his head in order to further make sure he wasn't recognized by the traveling public. And not only THAT, but the little twerp would ALSO stuff towels around whatever part of his face might've still been showing under his little hoodie, so that only his eyes wouldn't be covered.

(...now tell me here...wouldn't ya say that THAT is just too freakin' weird for words???...and remember, THIS was all goin' on YEARS after his hits had dropped off the charts in his '80s heyday!)

Well then, there's ONE THING for sure here then...and THAT would be if the little twerp ever rings my doorbell here in Sedona and tries to hand me one of those freakin' Watchtower pamphlets, he's SURE gonna get the "extra special bum's rush" from MY door, anyway!!!

(...though this DOES remind me of the time I still lived in L.A. and when the group of J.Ws came to my door...I actually invited these poor lost souls into my home and for a while I thought I had two of 'em convinced that my Agnostic philosophy of life was the way to go...uh huh, true story...uh huh, I can be VERY persuasive when I WANT to be!!!)

LOL

Ah, but Dark, hasn't the definition of "geek" evolved since those halcyon days of your high school years to also mean "someone very adept in the Sciences"...particularly the Computer Sciences?

I mean, wouldn't Sheldon and Leonard(and no, NOT the guy who played the bartender in "It's a Wonderful Life", though I hear these two sitcom characters were actually named after him...but I digress yet again ;) ) be considered "geeks" in the modern sense of the word?

(...and they're certainly not "repulsive"...just funny as hell, THAT'S all!!!)

Blu, I don't think a Geek is someone who is replusive or "the lowest of the low'.

Normally, I would assume, you would associate a 'geek' as someone who is bookish, like a nerd, you know glasses, plain looking and dresses maybe odd.

I read a book on Zuckerman and when he was in Harvard, he was considered a 'geek' because he kept to himself, dressed odd (always in shorts & flip flops, even in winter) and of course was always on his computer. Anyway, obviously, it didn't hurt him to be considered a geek, did it?

Twink

Regardless of whether either of you two decide on a gender, the fact remains even if "twerp" has nothing to do with height, it still seems to describe Prince! ;)

Funny thing is, I kinda liked Prince's music BEFORE he became famous! (pre-"1999")

Sepiatone

I must be a geek for getting involved in this thread, but I tend to view a geek in the same way as darkblue.

A nerd is someone that is bookish and smart but isn't repulsive. They are just socially inadequate. But in my circle a geek was repulsive and while some might be smart, being smart wasn't a criteria.

The Big Bang guys are nerds but not geeks. (but Howard is borderline geek).

I'd rather be called a twerp or a dork than a loser. Twerp seems to relate to size. You hear "little twerp", but you never hear "big twerp. "Dork" seems to related to personality and appearance. In college a common term was "He's a lunch", as in, "out to lunch". There's also dweeb and dips**t.