Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Who should be SOTM for September?

TopBilled

I suppose in a week's time we will know who the selection is for September's honoree.

These movie stars will 'turn 100' in September:

ALAN LADD...born on September 3, 1913.

ANTHONY QUAYLE...born on September 7, 1913.

FRANCES FARMER...born on September 19, 1913.

GRACE BRADLEY...born on September 21, 1913.

TREVOR HOWARD...born on September 29, 1913.

Of course, TCM may select someone who does not have a birthday in September. Personally, I would like to see Alan Ladd featured, but since most of his big films were made at Paramount, the likelihood of that happening may not be too great.

I always like it when they choose either a character actor (like Alec Guinness) or someone they've never honored before (like Danny Kaye or Dean Martin). I greatly approve of next month's SOTM Eleanor Parker because no one seems to remember her. (I sure didn't). I think in the Now Playing Guide they referred to her as the world's greatest unknown movie star. That's cool.

Well, Danny Kaye did receive a 100th birthday celebration all day in January. I wouldn't mind him getting a SUTS tribute next year.

I am waiting for the Susan Hayward choir to start singing her praises again. For team Richard Widmark to hoist him up on their shoulders again. Rah-rah-rah. Or even the Peter Finch fans to picket TCM's headquarters and shout 'We're mad as h*ll and we're not going to take it anymore until Peter Finch becomes Star of the Month!'

There's one actor whose talent is undisputed, who was in some of the best movies ever made, and yet for some *UNEXPLAINED* reason has never even had a SUTS day, let alone a SOTM.

I'm talking about *George Sanders.* Is there someone at TCM he offended once upon a time? Was it something he ate? Was his suicide considered an unpardonable sin or something?

Sanders was in 110 feature films in a career that spanned 37 years, had a screen personality as distinctive as anyone's, and gave memorable performances in enough films to easily fill the usual SOTM quota.

Sorry, I just don't get this continuing omission. Does anyone out there care to speculate about the reason for it?

Yea, Sanders should of been SOTM by now. The only thing I can think of is that his best performances are in films where he wasn't the lead male star. But if Paul Henreid can be SOTM than Sanders should.

(I mention Henreid because his best performances were often in films where he wasn't the lead male star or in a movie that revolved around the female star).

George Sanders would be an excellent choice, and I agree it's amazing he's never been selected as even a SUTS honoree. You're right that his best parts were often in movies where he wasn't the top-billed leading man, but SOTM has certainly featured others whose rosters could be described similarly (wasn't Peter Lorre SOTM once, or am I hallucinating that? ?:| ). And he still did play many a lead. I really enjoyed The Private Affairs of Bel Ami which has him cast to cad-perfection and opposite a bevy of lovely ladies including baby Angela Lansbury, Ann Dvorak, Frances Dee and Marie Wilson. It was Sanders's third collaboration with writer/director Albert Lewin (following The Moon and Sixpence and The Picture of Dorian Gray ). Interestingly all three films were B&W but utilized brief moments of Technicolor for dramatic effect.

I will always remember Sanders first and foremost for his iconic voice. Long, long, long before I'd ever heard of Jack Favell or Addison DeWitt, I grew up on classic Disney animation and the deliciously villainous Shere Khan:

jungle-book-shere-khan-kaa.jpg

I'm the same way about Peter Ustinov as Prince John in Robin Hood. :P

Okay, I rambling now. :8} As far as September's SOTM, I suppose they might opt for a woman following Henried in July, though they don't always stick strictly to the male/female pattern.

Is it possible that George Sanders has never been SOTM because he was British and most of his movies were filmed in England. Also, he resided primarly in England (except for towards the end of his life when he resided in Spain) .

Twink

Sanders gets little to no respect at TCM. his birthday is July 3 and there's not even ONE flik of his scheduled for July 3. in fact that day doesn't look as if it has any theme or honoree at all during the day. the night time theme is "The Kids are Alright."

so it's time to reserve a day during SUTS or to make him the SOTM (after Richard Widmark, of course.)

I must wonder if there is a fear of having George Sanders as Star of the Month because of his being linked so very strongly to his roles as The Saint and The Falcon.

There would be a general outcry if he was featured and they did not show all of those series.

There would be a general outcry also if they did show all of those as it would be time taken away from his more outstanding performances.

Having a separate day for each series which did not intrude on the evening schedule would raise an outcry about overloading the schedule with him.

I believe this would be a no-win situation for the programmers.

At the beginning of this thread, Alan ladd was mentioned. He is my #1 choice-even if a lot of his films may be unavailable. Grace Kelly was SOTM and she had made only about 14 films total. Ladd was such a fine actor---he should have rec'd an Oscar nomination for Shane.

Well 99% of the situations are no win situations for the TCM programmers. :)

Look at the post above yours about Alan Ladd. If TCM was just to show the Ladd movies they already have the rights to, Ladd fans would end up saying; How could TCM have a month devoted to Ladd and NOT show XYZ, or ABC or,,,,,

(the same with Susan Hayward).

Like I said, Sanders as STOM would be interesting and varied as it relates to themes. TCM doesn't have to show all of the Falcon or Saint movies (but again, your POV here is on target as it relates to fans). To me the difficult choice would be which secondary performances of his should TCM feature. e.g. he is great in Rebecca but that movie is shown very often and he isn't in the first 40% of so. Same with All About Eve. But these are 'must show' movies also.

Someday, I'd like to see a monthlong tribute to the *Redgraves* -- maybe a night of *Sir Michael's* films (including "Mourning Becomes Electra," "Dead of Night" and "Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner"); a night for *Vanessa* (lots to choose from for her, particularly "Morgan," "Camelot," "Julia," "Isadora" and "Mary, Queen of Scots"); a night for *Lynn* (definitely "Georgy Girl," "Shine" and "Gods and Monsters"); and then a final night of films including projects featuring *Lady Redgrave (Rachel Kempson)* of "Tom Jones", her son *Corin* ("A Man for All Seasons"), as well as efforts that also feature Vanessa's daughters, *Natasha Richardson* ("The White Countess"*)* and *Joely Richardson* ("The Patriot"), or Corin's daughter, *Jemma* ("Howard's End").

I also wish someone (the BBC maybe?) would do a comprehensive documentary about the four generations of Britain's greatest family of actors.

Edited by: jakeem on May 28, 2013 11:17 PM

if the Redgraves get a spot as SOTM, i hope a rare exemption for a TV movie is allowed: Playing for Time, which stars Vanessa Redgrave and Jane Alexander.

Time has the qualities of a first-run theater shown movie. the screenplay was by Arthur Miller, and Tony Richardson (Vanessa's husband) was the director until it was turned over to Joseph Sargent, and then finally to the credited Daniel Mann. the feature runs 2 hrs 28 min. in addition, it was awarded several Emmys: production as Best Drama, actress/Redgrave, supporting actress/Alexander, and writer/Miller.

since TCM shows many films, mostly fiction, about WWII, a movie based on real events and which shows the grim realities of what is otherwise glorified would be welcome.

> {quote:title=NitrateStock wrote:}{quote}How about birthday boy Peter Sellers?

Sellers was SOTM in January of 2011. He'll be due again in about 10 years. Meanwhile, George Sanders is still waiting for his first tribute. No English-speaking actor with his resume has had to wait nearly this long.

Not to mention Jennifer Jones, Charles Boyer, Mary Astor....(RAH, RAH, RAH!!)Hard to believe Brando hasnt been chosen yet (possibly due to rights issues of later films?) The Redgraves choice is a splendid idea!

Edited by: Hibi on May 29, 2013 12:20 PM

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}Well Leslie Howard wasn't STOM until last year and I would say he has a stronger resume as a top male star than Sanders

>

>

>

>

>

>

I'll be charitable and say that this is just a matter of taste. But if you like costume dramas with wimpy male roles, then I guess Howard would be your man. And anyway, he's now had his month, whereas Sanders has yet to have even 24 hours in August.

Well I like intelligent actors. Note that I said lead male roles. I don't think there is any comparison there. Sanders best roles were as character parts. His lead roles where in movies like the Falcon and The Saint. Not exactly high class material in my view (but still I enjoy these movies).

Anyhow, I was the first one that seconded your choice of Sanders, but I couldn't ignore what I felt was an overstatement.

Two things:

1. George Sanders rocks my socks and would be a fantastic choice (I've made him SOTM in one of my recent TCM Programming Challenge schedules hoping TCM would take the hint)

2. They've done the Redgraves in the last few years as part of "Acting Dynasties" (with the Fondas, Barrymores, etc)

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}Well I like intelligent actors. Note that I said lead male roles. I don't think there is any comparison there. Sanders best roles were as character parts. His lead roles where in movies like the Falcon and The Saint. Not exactly high class material in my view (but still I enjoy these movies).

>

> Anyhow, I was the first one that seconded your choice of Sanders, but I couldn't ignore what I felt was an overstatement.

>

Forget The Falcon and The Saint. Just off the top of my head, Sanders had compelling and critical roles in these distinctly A-level movies, regardless of if they got defined as the "lead".. Whether or not they're merely "character parts" is up to each of us to decide, but by that sort of reductionism you could deconstruct nearly every actor or actress in Hollywood this side of Barbara Stanwyck.

Rage in Heaven

The Last Voyage

All About Eve

The Lodger

I Can Get It For You Wholesale

Witness to Murder

Death of a Scoundrel

The Light Touch

The Picture of Dorian Gray

While The City Sleeps

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir

And that's only a partial list, based on some of the highlights of the relatively few Sanders films I've been able to watch, about 30 out of the 110 features that he was in.